Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World

by Kelly Jensen (Editor)

Other authors: Zariya Allen (Contributor), Laurie Halse Anderson (Contributor), Stasia Burrington (Contributor), Brandy Colbert (Contributor), Laverne Cox (Contributor)41 more, Wendy Davis (Contributor), Mia DePrince (Contributor), Michaela DePrince (Contributor), Tyler Feder (Contributor), Roxane Gay (Contributor), Brenna Clarke Gray (Contributor), Michelle Hiraishi (Contributor), Kelly Jensen (Contributor), Mindy Kaling (Contributor), Mikki Kendall (Contributor), Kody Keplinger (Contributor), Pomona Lake (Contributor), Malinda Lo (Contributor), Jessica Luther (Contributor), Angie Manfredi (Contributor), Sarah McCarry (Contributor), Kaye Mirza (Contributor), Lily Myers (Contributor), Matt Nathanson (Contributor), Alida Nugent (Contributor), Daniel José Older (Contributor), Ashley Hope Pérez (Contributor), Rafe Posey (Contributor), Liz Prince (Contributor), Risa Rodil (Contributor), Tricia Romano (Contributor), Rebecca Sexton (Contributor), Allison Peyton Steger (Contributor), Amandla Stenberg (Contributor), Nova Ren Suma (Contributor), Courtney Summers (Contributor), Courtney Summers (Contributor), Jen Talley (Contributor), Shveta Thakrar (Contributor), Anne Thériault (Contributor), Siobhan Vivian (Contributor), Suzannah Weiss (Contributor), Kayla Whaley (Contributor), Erika T. Wurth (Contributor), Wendy Xu (Contributor), Constance Augusta Zaber (Contributor)

"A scrapbook-style teen guide to understanding what it really means to be a feminist packed with contributions from a diverse range of voices, including celebrities and public figures, and featuring more than forty-four pieces, including an eight-page insert of full-color illustrations"--

I adored this book. Great collection of essays on feminism for all ages. I first heard about this book from Kelly Jensen's twitter page and I shelved it on goodreads way before it was published because I was so excited to see one of my favorite Book Riot contributors was editing the collection. This book tackles misogyny, homophobia, racism, ableism, gender identity, and so much more in such accessible writing (and sometimes drawing). Highly recommend, especially for younger readers. ( )
  jamieschecter | Dec 20, 2021 |
I'm not the targeted audience... also it's in English so can't really recommend it to teens in my country.
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
I really enjoyed all of the essays and other things in this book. I'd love to be able to buy a copy for all of the women in my life, of all ages. Alas, all I can do is recommend that they all buy it or get if from their public library. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
This is a collection of stories and writings from a very diverse group of women (and a few men). Some are very basic, and read a little amateur, but the book is intended for teenagers, so what I find a bit superficial will likely hit the mark for some very naive and unfortunately uneducated young women, whereas some what I would consider the hard hitting, more personal pieces might be a little harsher for them. I think this mix is actually really good, and really important and I see this book as being a great teaching resource, or a book club source.

My two favorites are probably Wendy Davis writing about hating to lose (me too), and a very sweet, very fun discussion of how to be a superhero by Allison Peyton Steger and Rebecca Sexton.

This book discusses all sorts of issues, but I would still consider it easily "PG" rated, if not G, but it is still a very active, honest book.

My one complaint is that in the kindle edition it is very hard to read most if not all of the comics, so one more reason to buy a physical copy to loan out or give away after you're done. :) ( )
  lclclauren | Sep 12, 2020 |
A good and diverse overview about what feminism is (and isn't). I really enjoyed reading from so many different contributers with different backgrounds. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |

Whaley, KaylaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wurth, Erika T.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Xu, WendyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zaber, Constance AugustaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,548,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible