Dare You

by Jennifer Brown

Series: Shade Me (#2)

In the second book of the suspenseful Shade Me trilogy, perfect for fans of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars and Kimberly McCreight's The Outliers, Nikki Kill becomes embroiled in another mystery with the gorgeous Detective Martinez when she discovers that the Hollises are trying frame her for the murder of Peyton Hollis--and only her synesthesia can help her unravel the dark truth. Nikki Kill didn't realize that trying to find out who killed Peyton Hollis would tangle her in a web of dangerous family secrets that would rock her identity to the core. But now that Nikki knows the truth, the all-powerful Hollises want to frame her for Peyton's murder. And now Nikki's only chance at escaping the cold black bars of prison or the crimson grip of death is teaming up with the enigmatic Detective Martinez and relying on an ever-shifting kaleidoscope of clues...… (more)

In this sequel to Shade Me (Nikki Kill #1), Nikki learns that Luna is out of prison and is probably the one responsible for framing Nikki for Peyton Hollis’ murder. With Detective Martinez’ help, Nikki tries to follow Peyton’s synesthetic clues in order to clear her name and to find Peyton’s real murderer.

Full disclosure: I hadn’t read the first book, Shade Me, prior to reading Dare You. I was able to figure out the plot and untangle the web of characters easily enough, but I’m sure I would have enjoyed Dare You a lot more if I’d read the first book. Nikki Kill is a complicated character. She has bad-ass tendencies, but she also finds it hard to trust people and let them in, which gets to be annoying after awhile. I didn’t really care about her as a character, and I didn’t find the romance between Nikki and the detective very believable. Her synesthesia is interesting, but I didn’t feel as though it made her a better detective. It made her more intuitive, I suppose, but I also found it annoying that she didn’t want to tell anyone about her special ability. The book is hefty—473 pages—and moves too slowly at times. A good editor should have helped cut out a lot of the boring, unnecessary parts. Having said all that, the cliff-hanger ending did inspire me to order the next book from the library. I haven’t started it yet, but I would like to see how the series ends.

Recommended for gr. 9-12 in libraries where Shade Me is popular; optional purchase otherwise. ( )
  SWONroyal | Sep 2, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,187,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible