dismiss

Keepsake (2017)

by Sarina Bowen

Series: True North (3)

496388,424 (4)None
Lark Wainright, twenty-three, has nightmares. She used to be fearless. But while overseas for her nonprofit employer, she was kidnapped and held at gunpoint in a dusty shack. Everyone has an opinion about what might have happened to her there, but she's not saying much. She's too consumed by guilt to talk about it. When her best friend offers her a stay at the Shipley orchard in exchange for help at the farmers' markets, Lark jumps into her little car and heads to Vermont. Unfortunately, the night terrors don't stop. Desperate to keep her fragile state a secret from those who know her best, she relies on the most soft-spoken resident of Orange County, Vermont, to calm her down when her dreams prove too much. Zachariah, twenty-three, is a survivor of a different kind. It's been three years since he was tossed aside by the polygamist cult out west, the only home he'd ever known. In Vermont, he's found a peaceful place in the bunkhouse at the Shipley's farm. He's good with animals, and he's good with his hands. But getting thrown away by your own people at nineteen leaves a mark on a guy. And he doesn't always know what to make of a world where apps and movie quotes are the primary means of communication. Before hitchhiking to Vermont, he'd never watched television. He'd never spoken on the phone. Actually, there are still a lot of things he's never done. Zach and Lark slowly grow to trust one another. One night they become even closer than they'd planned. But Lark may still be too broken to trust anyone. When she shoves Zach away, he will have to prove to himself that he's good for more than farm labor.… (more)

There was nothing wrong with this book, but for me, there was nothing particularly right about it either. I didn't find it particularly romantic but I did find it somewhat heart-warming. It was sweet, but it was kind of - meh - boring for me.

I don't think it would be for everyone. Zach is your sweet virgin hero, and he's honest and noble and...well...have I mentioned how these heroes work for me? They don't. Zach was still close, to be honest, because patience and warmth are sexy traits, but it was his voice. It vacillated between the "ohgeegollyshucks," and more modern/typical. And he was deeply Christian. That's not a problem per se, but it doesn't really enhance my enjoyment of the book to read scripture here and there from the hero's perspective. As far as heroes go, I'd strictly friend-zone Zach and probably try to avoid him generally. So there's that.

Lark was cool, but she was going through some stuff and so her development and character was largely built on that. It was hard to get a sense of her for a while due to that, but she was definitely the more interesting of the main characters.

I've been reading this forever, so obviously there was not a real hook into the story for me...And the worst part as that I thought it would mean I was done with the series-or I might have DNF'ed. Turns out there's a fourth book. Oh, that feeling when you think you've wrapped a series but no.

That's all I got. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
I really liked this installment in the series. Zach and Lark were two broken souls who met at exactly right time in their lives.
First 80% of the book has dark, but also sweet tone. Then last 20% or so felt like I was reading from the different characters, surprisingly Zach's pov changed to more bold, posessive man, so that thrown me off.

tw: ptsd/capture ( )
  Alevis | May 17, 2020 |
Keepsake is the third book in Sarina Bowen’s True North series and is just as good as you’d expect it to be (maybe even better). Sarina Bowen’s gift for writing slow burn romances with engaging characters, realistic struggles, and happily ever afters shines through in Keepsake and it was a delight to read.

Keepsake is the story of Lark and Zach. Lark is a reformed and admitted wild child who has been unbelievably traumatized by her time as a captive in Guatemala. Zach is likewise scarred by his upbringing in a strictly religious and isolated polyamorous community that threw him out when he was nineteen – arguably the best thing they could have done for him. When Lark returns from her trip abroad in need of some time away from her hovering, but well-meaning parents in Boston, she accepts the invitation her best friend, May Shipley, has extended to work for the season at the Shipley orchard. It’s there that romance sparks between herself and the shyest member of the hodgepodge Shipley family. For two people struggling to find their place in the world, an easy friendship is just what they need.

Lark tells Zach things that she can’t tell anyone else and is met with the sweet and considerate personality that is all Zach. He’s there for her from the beginning and offers her friendship when she needs it most. He’s the ultimate hero – loyal and kind, brave and true, with a dash of vulnerability and heaps of compassion. What I appreciated the most about their story though is how grounded it felt. What I mean by that is, although it’s not every day a young man breaks out of an oppressive polygamous lifestyle or a woman is kidnapped and held for ransom, Keepsake dealt with real issues – trauma and the fight to overcome it, the struggle to find your place in the world, the love of a family that isn’t connected by blood, and the realization that bettering yourself should be a priority but love isn’t impossible because of it.

Lark and Zach’s relationship is so sweet and precious it makes your teeth hurt a little and I sincerely enjoyed watching (reading) it play out. You know an author has succeeded in crafting beautiful, complex characters when you can’t help but root for their happiness. The relationship was sweet, the sex scenes steamy, and their HEA well deserved. Highly recommend. ( )
  A_Ravenous_Reader | Apr 28, 2020 |
I was extremely excited for Lark and Zach's story. This book didn't let me down. There were ups, downs and struggles that they both overcame to be together. ( )
  Kellylynn22 | Mar 24, 2019 |
When Lark Wainwright is asked to spend the autumn working at her best friend's farm, she is excited. She has been through a traumatic experience and needs to get away from her parents well-meaning but smothering care. One of the other workers, Zach, has also been through his own traumatic experiences, and he and Lark form a bond amidst the apple orchards on the farm.
Contemporary romances often rely on tropes - nothing the matter with that - so I liked that the author didn't use the normal ones here. Both Zach and Lark are damaged because of very real, but different experiences which make this story more interesting for me. Zach is a sweetheart, and Lark's character is well-done also. In fact, I liked every character excepting Gilman. It's the first book I read by this author, but now I want to go back and read the other books in the series. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Mar 27, 2018 |

Bowen, Sarinaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, TeddyNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, ErinNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Blackstone Audio, Inc.Publishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Per Luftlinie ist Tuxbury in Vermont gar nicht so weit weg von Boston.

From Amazon.com

There's a first time for everything.

Lark Wainright used to be fearless. Her life was a series of adventures, each one more exhilarating than the last. But her recent overseas adventure was one too many. Now she's home and in one piece. Mostly. But her nights are filled with terror.

When her best friend offers her a stay at the orchard in exchange for help at the farmers' markets, Lark jumps at the chance to spend fall in Vermont. But her nightmares don't stop. Desperate to keep her fragile state a secret, she relies on the most soft-spoken resident of the Shipley Farm to soothe her when her dreams prove too much.

Zachariah is a survivor, too. It's been four years since he was tossed aside by the polygamist cult where he grew up. He's found a peaceful existence on the Shipley's farm, picking apples and fixing machinery. But getting thrown away by your own people at nineteen leaves a mark on a guy. He doesn't always know what to make of a world where movie quotes are the primary means of communication. Before hitchhiking to Vermont, he'd never watched TV or spoken on the phone.

Actually, there are a lot of things he's never done.

Zach and Lark slowly grow to trust one another. One night they become even closer than they'd planned. But Lark may still be too broken to trust anyone. When she pushes Zach away, he will have to prove to himself that he's good for much more than farm labor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,279,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible