Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song…

Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Rob Sheffield

Member:eyescorp
Title:Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time
Authors:Rob Sheffield
Info:Three Rivers Press (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Tags:Charlottesville, Virginia, loss, love story, widower, music, pop music

Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time by Rob Sheffield (2007)

English (55)  Danish (1)  All languages (56)
This book will bring back your own memories of the nineties, especially if you were heavily into music at the time. It made me think of the all the different times I made mix tapes, like the time I taped the radio right before I went to Spain, just so I could hear american radio while I was away.

The author's story about the love between him and his wife and his sorrow at her death is heartbreaking but truthful. He is able to clearly explain how he felt about not being able to share new things with her in a way that is heart wrenching. And the whole thing is tied to music.

If someone wasn't into the music of the time, I am not sure that they would be able to get into this book. Since everything the author writes he relates to the music, the reader may not get all of the parallels and they would be missing out on a big part of the story.

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
You gotta love a book with a built in soundtrack! Sheffield, a Rolling Stone music critic, goes over some of his mix tapes and how they relate to his love life. We listen along as he meets his future wife, dates her, marries her and spends married life in her shadow. We witness his wife's sudden death and Sheffield's attempts at getting on with his life. Sheffield sprinkles music criticism and stories of being a rock journalist into the story. I can't think of another book that has made me laugh incredibly hard in one paragraph then have me tearing up in the next. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I wasted all yor precious time. I wasted it all on you. - Pavement
For mom and dad.
The playback: late night, Brooklyn, a pot of coffee, and a chair by the window.

Mix tapes. We all have our favorites. Stick one into a deck, press play, and you're instantly transported to another time in your life. For Rob Sheffield, that time was one of miraculous love and unbearable grief. A time that spanned seven years, it started when he met the girl of his dreams, and ended when he watched her die in his arms. Using the listings of fifteen of his favorite mix tapes, Rob shows that the power of music to build a bridge between people is stronger than death. You'll read these words, perhaps surprisingly, with joy in your heart and a song in your head - the one that comes to mind when you think of the love of your life. (918-1-4000-8303-9)

In the 1990s, "alternative" was suddenly mainstream, and bands like Pearl Jam and Pavement, Nirvana and R.E.M.--bands that a year before would have been too weird for MTV--were MTV. The boundaries of American culture were exploding, and music was leading the way. It was also the 1990s when a shy music geek named Rob Sheffield met a hell-raising Appalachian punk-rock girl named Ren‚ee, who was way too cool for him but fell in love with him anyway. He was tall. She was short. He was shy. She was a social butterfly. They had nothing in common except that they both loved music. Music brought them together and kept them together. And it was music that would help Rob through a sudden, unfathomable loss. Here, Rob, now a writer for Rolling Stone, uses the songs on fifteen mix tapes to tell the story of his brief time with Ren‚ee.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,121,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible