Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song…

Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Rob Sheffield

Member:eyescorp
Title:Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time
Authors:Rob Sheffield
Info:Three Rivers Press (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Tags:Charlottesville, Virginia, loss, love story, widower, music, pop music

Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time by Rob Sheffield (2007)

Recently added bywalksaloneatnight, LaurentOlivier, private library, bkshs, rwill, laurustina, Bessoclass

English (50)  Danish (1)  All languages (51)
Have you ever made a mix tape? I've made several - labored over them, thought carefully about which songs to include, obsessed about getting the order just right. The author Rob Sheffield is a writer for Rolling Stone and obviously is familiar with a wide range of music genres, artists and their catalogs. He speaks lovingly of the tapes he and his wife have made, and the meaning of the songs to their lives separately and together. It's a touching story and one that I am glad to have read. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Dec 6, 2014 |
Okay ( )
  lushrain | Sep 29, 2014 |
I would not recommend this book to anyone I know, it was very boring and I couldn't connect with it at all. 3Q2P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this book to high school students. I chose to read this book because I had to read a non-fiction book for my English class. EmmaM
  edspicer | Aug 10, 2014 |
In a true-High Fidelity fashion, music loving fashion, this book kinda spoke to my soul. First of all, it recognizes the HUGE impact that music has on our life. There are definitely songs that, when I hear them, bring me to another state--another place. I am whisked away to other times/places to be with people I haven't seen in a long time. Such is the power of music.

For Rob Sheffield, this is true as well. But what do you do when you lose the person with whom you've shared so much of that music with? When every new song you hear on the radio makes you think, "Damn, he/she would've LOVED this song?!"

Simple: You get very, very depressed.

And that's the story of this book. This is a book of loss and love. When Rob feels any emotion, he makes a mixed tape (even if it's a CD or playlist on the iPod, he still calls it a mixed tape). This helps him to express the feelings he can't otherwise get out. Looking over my own iTunes...I see MANY playlists that speak to many different emotions. "Upbeat" "Emo" etc.

Each chapter starts with a playlist of songs from a tape that Rob made (or someone in his life), and he tells his story. Quick read, well worth it.

Not that I was keeping track or anything, but Green Day was mentioned (in it's amazing-ness) twice, once on a page that also mentioned Johnny Depp. There was no way this book was not headed for greatness. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Simple: You get very, very depressed.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I wasted all yor precious time. I wasted it all on you. - Pavement
For mom and dad.
The playback: late night, Brooklyn, a pot of coffee, and a chair by the window.

Mix tapes. We all have our favorites. Stick one into a deck, press play, and you're instantly transported to another time in your life. For Rob Sheffield, that time was one of miraculous love and unbearable grief. A time that spanned seven years, it started when he met the girl of his dreams, and ended when he watched her die in his arms. Using the listings of fifteen of his favorite mix tapes, Rob shows that the power of music to build a bridge between people is stronger than death. You'll read these words, perhaps surprisingly, with joy in your heart and a song in your head - the one that comes to mind when you think of the love of your life. (918-1-4000-8303-9)

In the 1990s, "alternative" was suddenly mainstream, and bands like Pearl Jam and Pavement, Nirvana and R.E.M.--bands that a year before would have been too weird for MTV--were MTV. The boundaries of American culture were exploding, and music was leading the way. It was also the 1990s when a shy music geek named Rob Sheffield met a hell-raising Appalachian punk-rock girl named Ren‚ee, who was way too cool for him but fell in love with him anyway. He was tall. She was short. He was shy. She was a social butterfly. They had nothing in common except that they both loved music. Music brought them together and kept them together. And it was music that would help Rob through a sudden, unfathomable loss. Here, Rob, now a writer for Rolling Stone, uses the songs on fifteen mix tapes to tell the story of his brief time with Ren‚ee.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,745,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible