Sirens by Joseph Knox

This is the 1st of the Aidan Waits novels.
Set in Manchester his is an undercover.
A top Politicians daughter Isabelle has runaway from home and is mixing with some dodgy characters and also she is taking drugs and collecting the money from other dealers.

Waits befriends her and a few of the main characters in the gang.

She ends up dead and so do some other Youths they have took a dodgy batch of Heroin. Waits finds a few cryptic clues along the way.

Waits is convinced there is more to this and uncovers that it was the Senior Police Liasion officer who was abusing Isabelle for years and that's why she ran.

Quite an ok book there was a few very over the top unbelievable characters though throughout this book. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Jul 4, 2019 |
Competent and propulsive Manchester noir. Femmes fatales, a missing daughter, drug kingpins engaged in a gang war, a shady politician and other recycled tropes swirl around a disgraced policeman who may or may not be undercover. There's nothing startling or original here, but it's solidly executed and I liked it. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
This review is from: Sirens (Aidan Waits) (Hardcover)

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme

I am reviewing the book, Sirens, by Joseph Knox. Detective Aidan Waits makes his début based in Manchester with this novel where a powerful man asks Aidan to get his runaway daughter, Isabelle Rossiter, back home safely. This simple request has complex consequences. It seems everyone has something to hide and allegiances change to suit. Here are my thoughts:

^^ Straight away I knew this was going to be a great book. F
or me this has everything; a down-and-out cop not afraid of anything, a page-turning plot, and a realist gritty look at the seedier life of corrupt Manchester. A place I know well, corruption aside of course.

^^ Knox has a certain style about the way he writes, that makes this a gripping and plausible read from the first page to the last. I think it also helped that I am familiar with Manchester and many of the place names mentioned I have visited. This may be a personal bonus, but it added to my reading thrill I am sure.

^^ Written in first person point of view really gives disgraced Detective Waits his own, unique voice.

^^ The chapters are fairly short, which helps keep the pace fast and furious.

^^ My copy is an uncorrected proof copy, therefore I cannot comment too much about some of the editing, however, I do feel it will be tightened up with the potential to be a 2017 bestseller.

Overall: I am happy to have discovered Josep
h Knox's work and even happier to assume this is not going to be the last we hear from Detective Aidan Waits, as I am sure I will not be the only reader who wants more from both. A great Mancunian crime read, with an interesting storyline that had me racing towards the end in no time. ( )
  SassyBrit | Nov 27, 2018 |
A police,drugs, gangland thriller based in Manchester. The local detail adds to the depths of the story. But a little too long and a bit short of personal detail of the hero. He's a cardboard man with an unknown motivation. Needs to be filled out. ( )
  Steve38 | Nov 7, 2018 |
British undercover cop with drug problem, British government cabinet minister with drug addicted run away 17 year old daughter, club life with drugs, sex, murder, gangs...lots of dead people, ( )
  MaggieFlo | Aug 14, 2018 |
For Johanna

"Isabelle Rossiter has run away again. When Aidan Waits, a troubled junior detective, is summoned to her father's penthouse home, he finds a manipulative man, with powerful friends. But retracing Isabelle's steps through a dark nocturnal world, Waits finds something else. an intelligent seventeen-year-old girl who's scared to death of something. As he investigates her story, and the unsolved disappearance of a young woman just like her, he realizes Isabelle was right to run away. Soon Waits is cut loose by his superiors, stalked by an unseen killer and dangerously attracted to the wrong woman. He's out of his depth and out of time."--Dust-jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,374,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible