Sweet Cheeks

by K. Bromberg

An all new standalone, second chance love story by the New York Times Bestselling author of the Driven series. It all started with the invitation. To my ex-fiance's new wedding. I should have ignored it. Thrown it away. Set it afire. But I didn't. I replied. With a plus one. And then my assistant accidentally mailed it. Enter Hayes Whitley. Mega-movie star. The man who has captured the hearts of millions. But I gave him mine years ago. He was my first love. He was my everything. Right until he up and left to chase his dreams without so much as a simple goodbye. When he showed up out of the blue ten years later, I should have known to steer clear of him. I should have rejected his offer to take me to my ex's wedding. I should have never let him kiss me. But I didn't. And now we're left wondering if the pieces of the life we once shared still fit together somehow. First loves are hard to forget. The question is, do we want to forget? Or do we risk the chance and see what happens next?… (more)

You know that feeling, that great feeling, when a book has all your catnip. The writing seems nice enough, it's keeping you entertained...and then it's about 200 pages too long or something?

This book is a great example of that. It was so promising at the beginning, showing so much potential, and then they have sex.

And for some reason, I lost all interest after that. Sex scenes were great, and all buried to the hilt and all. Nothing wrong there. The place where second chances go so wrong? Easy, they rely on long ago stories, feelings, and places of who the people were and DEAD stop. This book resolved the issues faced by the characters really simply, thus avoiding all delicious and development-related angst. Once again, in a second chance, I'm left with the shards of childhood stitched together with adults who still have chemistry but no actual work to show for it. When I didn't show work, I got a C-

For a better version of a wildly similar book, really--the leaving without a trace boy [b:Dirty Dancing at Devil's Leap|33295720|Dirty Dancing at Devil's Leap (Hellcat Canyon, #3)|Julie Anne Long|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1500724285s/33295720.jpg|54026781]

I recommend that whole series. This I do not recommend.

samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
I gave this audiobook an A- for the narration and a B+ for the story at AudioGals.

Narration by Andi Arndt and Sebastian York

Sweet Cheeks gives a unique spin to a story that romance listeners have no doubt heard before: the second chance at love trope. The interesting twist is that Ms. Bromberg splices and dices this trope with a couple of other contemporary romance tropes (the movie star with a small town girl and the jealousy inspiring “plus one” date to the former fiancée’s wedding to another woman) and adds her own clever touches (grudge cupcakes and Hollywood antics) to make the story sound fresh and new. Further complimenting this fun, romantic tale is the splendid dual narration by Andi Arndt and Sebastian York.

Saylor Rodgers recently broke up with her fiancé whom she dated for a number of years but never felt a close connection to. Now she is single and dealing with a struggling cupcake business that she runs along with her brother. With her ex’s deep roots to the small California town they live in, it seems that post break-up, all her former friends have sided with her ex-fiancé and his country-club mom, and will not dare set a toe in her bakery shop for fear of the social backlash.

Meanwhile, as if this weren’t enough to deal with, Saylor also receives an invitation to her former fiancé’s wedding – a near carbon copy event to the one she and he had been planning (even at the same resort destination), except now it’s to another woman who could be her twin. What’s a girl to do? While contemplating the answer, the response gets inadvertently mailed (with a “plus one” designation) and her brother insists that the solution to the whole mess – including ameliorating their present black list status among their town’s socialites – is for Saylor to attend the wedding with a man who commands even more social/star power than her ex. Now who could that possibly be? Fortunately for Saylor, her brother knows just the man: his best friend, Hayes Whitley, who is now a huge movie star. Only one catch with this agenda – Hayes broke Saylor’s heart a long time ago when he left without a word to pursue his dreams. Can the man who broke her heart so many years ago possibly be the answer to her present calamity, never mind lead to a HEA?

So ensues a series of comical and heat-filled events that include a Hollywood diva who doesn’t take well to Hayes escorting Saylor to the wedding, a small town gossip lover’s dream as wedding guests become privy to the social event of the year, and then a protracted social media battle in which “grudge cupcakes” and their healing powers become the latest and most fashionable trend!

See the full review at AudioGals. ( )
  B.J.O. | Feb 12, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,047,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible