The Dark Portal (1989)

by Robin Jarvis

Series: The Deptford Mice (1)

While on a rescue mission, a few daring mice journey below to the sewers to an evil world populated by rats who peel mice before eating them and worship the Dark Lord.

Not bad. Not as gripping as I would have liked, but a fairly enjoyable scurry through the sewers. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
Okay, though I enjoyed the Jacques books more than this one. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
I love this series from when I was a kid, but the first book is not its strongest point. Perhaps this is because it is the book I didn't own, so I have all my adult cynicism and critical facilities, and far fewer happy memories of reading it when small. They wander around in the sewers without very convincing plans, and the heroine is selected to save the day despite having very few positive charectoristics at all.

Having just reread all 6 books, my views on the series as a whole are mixed. There are some wonderful charecters, epic battles between good and evil, and a great feeling that one person can make a difference. There is also Robin Jarvis's characteristic grizzly horror and love of a final plot twist. By the end of them all though they felt a little formulaic, and the proportion of doomed!romance is really really unrealistically high. ( )
1 vote atreic | Aug 31, 2011 |
The setting was very interesting in this one, peaceful mice who worship a green mouse of spring live in a small house, which is above the sewers filled with violent and murderous rats worshiping a dark god who is willing to sacrifice his followers for it's own personal gain. The mice are terrified of the rats, and rightfully so, since the rats tend to skin and eat them whenever their path's cross. And let's not forget what dwells in the attic above the mice, farseeing bats whose ability to see the future is kept well hidden and only spelled out in riddles to those who seek their knowledge.

The world created by Robin Jarvis is great. Fans of young adult fantasy should definitely look into this one. ( )
1 vote Ape | Feb 21, 2009 |
twee
  Kaethe | May 27, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For my parents
When a mouse is born it has to fight to survive.

In the sewers of Deptford there lurks a dark presence which fills the tunnels with fear. The rats worship it in the blackness and name it Jupiter, Lord of All. Into this twilight realm wanders a small and frightened mouse. Far from family and friends he perishes, and in so doing is the unwitting trigger of a chain of events which hurtle the Deptford Mice into a doom-laden world of terror and sorcery.

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 1587171120, 1587170213

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,486,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible