Chasing Secrets (Elite Guardians) by Lynette…

Chasing Secrets (Elite Guardians)

by Lynette Eason

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am so sorry to say this but this was a "did-not-finish" for me. Please know that I received this from Librarything's "Early Reviewers" program and was in earnest really looking forward to reading this. In the past, I've read another book by Lynette Eason from the same series as this ARC and genuinely really liked it! It was "Always Watching," which was the first book of this Elite Guardians series. Regardless, I never became ensnared by this book. It was slow to start and boring honestly and I've been meaning to come back to this and give this book the old college try but I have no desire to, which encapsulates my review of this book. Sadly, I love the premise of this book. Who doesn't love an Irish mob family reunion and the mystery and intrigue of that? But the execution fell short. I so badly wanted to love this. I really did. I'm kind of dismayed and bummed that this didn't hold up to my expectations. ( )
  mrs.k.rippel | Jun 2, 2017 |
[Chasing Secrets] - Lynette Eason – 05/31/2017 – 3*

This is the latest entry in Eason’s “Elite Guardians” series, which follows the members of a skilled group of primarily female bodyguards. It focuses on Haley, an Irish-American bodyguard with a mysterious past. She meets Steven, a police detective, who is the partner of the husband of one of her coworkers, and there is an instant attraction there. But there is a very long list of other things going on as well. There is a discovery by Haley of her long lost Irish family and the childhood tragedy that tore her from them. And the possible murderous repercussions of this discovery. And there is a poor teenager with an abusive family situation that Haley takes under her wing. And a group of kids at a teen center Haley works at who are preparing for a major dance competition. And Steven has a few issues of his own, with having just moved back to the area and taken a new job in order to be close to his parents while his dad has cancer treatments. And with the upcoming parole hearing for the drunken driver who killed his kid brother years ago.

The book is a fast-paced and enjoyable read, but overall, there are just too many balls in the air. I often found myself wondering where these people found the TIME to be attracted to each other, let alone act on, what with all the homicidal plots in the works. No story line is really fully developed as the reader is constantly jumping from one to the other.

Overall, a quick and entertaining story that could have been much more with some judicious trimming.

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  tealadytoo | May 31, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I saw that Lynette Eason had another book coming out I knew I had to read it. This book did not disappoint me. It kept me in suspense from the beginning to the end. I can't decide if this book or the one previous is the best one in the series. They're both good. I loved the character of Haley and Steven. Haley is one of the Elite Guardians and in this book she discovers something about her past as a child in Ireland. I kept turning the pages to see who was stalking her and wanted her dead. This book kept me guessing and boy was I surprised who it was. I can't say too much as I would spoil the story.
There is also a side story of a young boy, his mother and the boy's very ill brother that I enjoyed.

Chasing Secrets will be published August 2017. Thanks to Netgalley and Revell Books for providing me an ARC to read and review. ( )
  kaykwilts | May 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A grandfather in Ireland loses his family in a mafia style hit. His son, daughter-in-law, and grandson were murdered in his home. His granddaughter was on a bus that was bombed or so he thought. The murderers were never caught. Twenty-five years later evidence arises that his granddaughter is alive. The story evolves from that point with the search for her and discovering who was responsible for the heinous murders.
I was glad to receive the advance copy of the book and enjoyed reading it. ( )
  janetcg | May 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love this series by Lynette Eason. I was excited to receive a free copy of book 4 in the Elite Guardians series. Lynette is such a talented author. This book follows Haley in her search for her identity. Along the way, she meets up with Steven. He is your all-round good guy and helps Haley solve the mystery of who wants her dead. I was not prepared for who is responsible for the attacks on Haley. I liked the grandfather and felt sorry for all the hardships he faced over the years.

This book had a lot less God than in other Eason books. In my opinion, it barely qualifies as Christian fiction. That said, it is a good, clean story full of suspense. I couldn't put down until I finished. ( )
  JaymeWill | May 17, 2017 |

Elite Guardians bodyguard Haley Callaghan may be in South Carolina, but when a photo leads investigators in West Ireland to open a twenty-five-year-old cold case, her life is suddenly in danger. Haley knows how to take care of herself; after all, she's made a career out of taking care of others. But after an uncomfortably close call, Detective Steven Rothwell takes it upon himself to stay with her--and the young client she has taken under her wing. A protector at heart, he's not about to let Haley fight this battle alone.

In a sweeping plot that takes them into long-buried memories--and the depths of the heart--Haley and Steven will have to solve the mystery of Haley's past while dodging bullets, bombs, and bad guys who just won't quit.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:13:07 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lynette Eason's book Chasing Secrets is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible