The Return (Amish Beginnings) by Suzanne…

The Return (Amish Beginnings)

by Suzanne Woods Fisher

The third book in the Amish Beginnings series. It is well-written and researched. I will post my complete review soon! ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jun 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I first met Anna in Anna’s Crossing, a story of one of the first groups of Amish to leave Germany to settle in the New World. The Return is largely the story of Anna’s daughter, Tessa, although many others play major roles in the story’s development. The story is one of finding one’s self and one’s place in the world. Some discoveries are made quite by surprise, some grow out of tragedy, and some are slowly revealed. Not all those seeking to know themselves and the direction of their future are as young as you might anticipate.
While this book, in my opinion, got off to a slow start, by the end of the book, I was lost in the story, unable to put it down. Fisher develops the characters in a way that causes her readers to care about what happens to them, both those they have a strong compassion for, and those they find a bit irritating. The scenario they find themselves in during the last third of the book compels the reader to read on to find out how things work out. For some the ending is tragic, while others discover possibilities that didn’t exist before.
I would encourage readers of The Return to hang in there if they too feel like the book is a little slow at the beginning. It is well worth reading to the end. There is enjoyment to be had and lessons to be learned. I thank Revell publishing and the Christian Fiction Blog Alliance for providing this book in exchange for my honest opinion. I received no monetary compensation for providing a review of this book. ( )
  claudia.castenir | Jun 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! A great story that I could not put down - read it in one afternoon! I like all of her books
  starbritejan | Jun 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was the first book I have read from this author and I thought it was very nicely written. Many twists and turns made for an exciting page turner. I was surprised at the ending. ( )
  lark4life | Jun 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is my very first book from this author and I would say it was pretty motivating. It was a good christian fiction. It talks about hope, courage, and family. It teaches about being faithful and hopeful in Him. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | May 29, 2017 |

Beautiful and winsome, Betsy Zook never questioned her family's rigid expectations, nor those of devoted Hans, but then she never had to. Not until the night when she's taken captive in a surprise Indian raid. During her captivity, Betsy faces brutality and hardship, but also unexpected kindness. She draws strength from native Caleb, who encourages her to find God in all circumstances. She finds herself torn between her pious upbringing and the intense new feelings this compelling man awakens within her.

Handsome and complex, Hans is greatly anguished by Betsy's captivity and turns to Tessa Bauer for comfort. Eagerly, Tessa responds, overlooking troubling signs of Hans's hunger for revenge. When Betsy is finally restored to the Amish, have things gone too far between Hans and Tessa?

Inspired by true events, this deeply layered novel gives a glimpse into the tumultuous days of prerevolutionary Pennsylvania through the eyes of two young, determined, and faith-filled women.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 19 Feb 2017 03:49:29 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Suzanne Woods Fisher's book The Return is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible