The Return (Amish Beginnings) by Suzanne…

The Return (Amish Beginnings) (edition 2017)

by Suzanne Woods Fisher (Author)

Member:Sandralb
Title:The Return (Amish Beginnings)
Authors:Suzanne Woods Fisher (Author)
Info:Revell (2017), 336 pages
Rating:*****

The Return (Amish Beginnings Book #3) by Suzanne Woods Fisher

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
After reading the first two novels in this series it took a moment to adjust to the 25 year jump in time. While most of the main characters did appear in the previous two books, and the familiar patriarchs held through, the book was more about their children and their lives. I found the book to be an interesting take on how prejudices are in all people regardless of race, color or creed. It was a good parallel into how no matter what/who you are you tend to gravitate toward folks with similar thoughts, ideas, backgrounds, and you find folks with a different heritage suspicious. It was good to read a book where, while historical fiction, the facts were true and an honest look at how the Amish might have felt rather than the normal way so many books depict them as always on the “correct” side of values and being held above the “normal” population for always doing the “right thing”. Greed, jealousy, fear, and ignorance all played into the story of what could have happened during this time frame if all points of view were taken into consideration. The old adage, “walk a mile in my shoes” would definitely apply here. Unless you are extremely self-aware and open to self-inspection, we do not always think about “the other person” and their side of the story. The author held out hope for not only the future, but for these families to move beyond not only their own self-interest, but beyond tragic events that caused this introspective look by the characters into how they may have played a key role in not only the good things that happened, but the bad things as well. ( )
  LilTexasLibrary | May 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What an amazing book! I found myself cheering for all the characters all through the book. The courage, love and caring that was shown by everyone in the book, helps to remind us what God is really all about. No matter what is going on in our lives, we know that we can always trust Him. Even if things don't go the way we planned or hoped, we know that God always has a purpose and will take care of us through our most difficult times. ( )
  roezbd26 | May 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
One of the best books I have read so far this year. I loved everything about it. It had romance, excitement, faith, hope and even some tears were shed. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Ms. Fishers books. I need to go back and read more of her novels. ( )
  Sandralb | May 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Suzanne Woods Fisher has a way of spinning a tale that never disappoints, and this book is no exception. I have read hundreds of Amish novels—inspirational, romance, suspense, and historical—and this book combines all these genres into a beautifully flowing and compelling read.

Normally, I like to read an Amish series by beginning with the first book, but in this case I jumped into the unfolding story with this book, the third in the series. Fisher has created a work which is so well developed within its covers that The Return functions perfectly on its own. A helpful List of Characters at the onset is included to acquaint the reader with enough of the backstory to allow for frustration-free enjoyment.

There are plenty of suspense, drama, romance, and unexpected plot twists to make this book very difficult to put down. I highly recommend this book.

I received a free advanced copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  mrsandersonut | May 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Book 3 of the Amish Beginnings series. The Zook family has built their home on what is suppose to be Indian land, as agreed upon by William Penn. Now the Shawnee have attacked and murdered the parents and captured Betsy and her younger brother, Johnny. Only Willie has escaped. The Amish believe that God will take care of Betsy and Johnny, all that is except Hans, her fiancé. He is bitter and angry and agrees that something must be done about the Indians-all Indians.

As always, the author writes as if she actually experienced life in the mid-1700s. Very well researched. I suffered along with Betsy as she and Johnny were marched north for days. I felt Hans' anger and worry and even became angry over his hatred. It is not a quick read but I enjoyed the book. I did not read the first two books in the series but this could be read as a stand alone book. I didn't feel as if I walked into the middle of something. I highly recommend this book! ( )
  wearylibrarian | May 10, 2017 |

Beautiful and winsome, Betsy Zook never questioned her family's rigid expectations, nor those of devoted Hans, but then she never had to. Not until the night when she's taken captive in a surprise Indian raid. During her captivity, Betsy faces brutality and hardship, but also unexpected kindness. She draws strength from native Caleb, who encourages her to find God in all circumstances. She finds herself torn between her pious upbringing and the intense new feelings this compelling man awakens within her.

Handsome and complex, Hans is greatly anguished by Betsy's captivity and turns to Tessa Bauer for comfort. Eagerly, Tessa responds, overlooking troubling signs of Hans's hunger for revenge. When Betsy is finally restored to the Amish, have things gone too far between Hans and Tessa?

Inspired by true events, this deeply layered novel gives a glimpse into the tumultuous days of prerevolutionary Pennsylvania through the eyes of two young, determined, and faith-filled women.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 19 Feb 2017 03:49:29 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Suzanne Woods Fisher's book The Return is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,496,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible