White Fur by Jardine Libaire

White Fur

by Jardine Libaire

Raw, real, in your face, uncomfortable, unconventional; not your every day love story. Two worlds collide in a way we have yet to see in modern romance. Two completely different people from two completely different worlds in a spellbindingly new light.
The author writes in prose using vast figurative language which honestly takes some getting used to, but you appreciate the intelligence of the writing. Her descriptions are heavenly, all encompassing; omnipotent.
Nothing is glossed over, every thought every feeling is from the gut and from the heart.
This story is life and love unafraid. It makes you THINK- not just about love and romantic relationships but about life, social and class structure, the hopelessness and hopefulness of it all. Drugs, sex, mental illness; the raunchy and real side of life.
This is a love story, it's just one of the extraordinary sort.
*I received an arc from the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review ( )
  KimMcReads | Jun 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Though it was a quick read for me, I felt that it was written well and the lovely story seemed fresh in all the right ways. I did not expect the ending and the characters were dark and deep. I would recommend, and have recommended, this book to others. ( )
  ceciliachard | Jun 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Romeo and Juliet in 1980's NYC, complete with guns, drugs, struggles with mental illness, and more; star-crossed, opposite-sides-of-the-tracks wealthy Jamey and poor, mixed-race Elise meet and fall in love despite their many obstacles and family disapproval. A story that touches on themes of race, poverty, class, and power with a passionate and raw love story at the center. Can their love survive everything against it? ( )
  rachelp1985 | Jun 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Earlier this year I read another book set in NYC in the 1980's and loved the vibes of it, so when I was able to pick up this one I became totally immersed in the setting. The characters are engaging as well. This is a very classic story, like Romeo and Juliet without the cliches. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a good romantic read that's very atmospheric. ( )
  Holiday225 | Jun 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was happy to receive an ARC of White Fur through LibraryThing. The plot synopsis intrigued me and I am always drawn to books set in 1980's NYC. I don't think I've ever read a book quite like this one. The story is so raw and gritty and real. It is shocking at times, but there are also some very sweet and tender passages. It was definitely out of my comfort zone and I felt uncomfortable reading some chapters. It's an unlikely love story between a wealthy Ivy League educated boy who grew up in Manhattan and a girl from the wrong side of the tracks. From that description, it seems like it would be such a typical read, but it is far from an ordinary tale. I think the story lost some steam after "the incident," when the focus shifted away from NYC, so I started to lose interest. This is a hard one to recommend because you have to be ok with reading some uncomfortable scenes, but I think it is a very worthwhile read. I looked up the author after I finished the book to learn more about her and I realized we went to the same college! ( )
  LaurenKaz | Jun 3, 2017 |

A stunning star-crossed love story set against the glitz and grit of 1980s New York City

When Elise Perez meets Jamey Hyde on a desolate winter afternoon, fate implodes, and neither of their lives will ever be the same. Although they are next-door neighbors in New Haven, they come from different worlds. Elise grew up in a housing project without a father and didn’t graduate from high school; Jamey is a junior at Yale, heir to a private investment bank fortune and beholden to high family expectations. Nevertheless, the attraction is instant, and what starts out as sexual obsession turns into something greater, stranger, and impossible to ignore.

The unlikely couple moves to Manhattan in hopes of forging an adult life together, but Jamey’s family intervenes in desperation, and the consequences of staying together are suddenly severe. And when a night out with old friends takes a shocking turn, Jamey and Elise find themselves fighting not just for their love, but also for their lives.

White Fur follows these indelible characters on their wild race through Newport mansions and downtown NYC nightspots, SoHo bars and WASP-establishment yacht clubs, through bedrooms and hospital rooms, as they explore, love, play, and suffer. Jardine Libaire combines the electricity of Less Than Zero with the timeless intensity of Romeo and Juliet in this searing, gorgeously written novel that perfectly captures the ferocity of young love.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:11:39 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jardine Libaire's book White Fur is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible