White Fur by Jardine Libaire

White Fur

by Jardine Libaire

3019367,255 (3.53)1

A very, very strange love story about a rich boy who is enthralled with a very poor girl and her lifestyle. He's a very sad boy even with all his money. He sees this girl with nothing and how happy she is and he just doesn't understand it. How can she be so happy when she has nothing?

He asks her to be his girlfriend and gives up his money. Maybe together with her, he can find that happiness too.

Then one night, through no choice of his own, his rich friends really mess with his psyche. Will he overcome this?

An interesting love story told in a very unusual way.

Thanks to Crown Publishing and Net Galley for allowing me to read and review this out of the ordinary love story. ( )
  debkrenzer | Apr 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this story, especially the way the author is able to describe a scene or mood, with very few unusual words. The last 50 pages were quick page turners, and the ending was .... (Read the book) This was a free early reviewer edition. ( )
  danfango | Apr 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was in the style of my favorite types of love stories, with a more modern take. Jamey and Elise have a type of love that's toxic. They are obsessed and do crazy things because of it, and I love reading these kinds of stories. I also liked the way the story was set up: it starts in June 1987, with a short excerpt of something terrible that's about to happen, and it jumps back eighteen months. It goes through each month of them meeting, falling in love, moving in together, etc. The last chapter is the eighteenth month, completely throwing me off on what I was expecting to happen, and what ended up happening. It was a great pageturner. ( )
  Ahtoosa | Apr 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book held my attention about 2/3rds of the way. Then it dropped off to the point where I considered not finishing it. But I did and am glad I did! It's a wonderful story about young love and about how each of our upbringing affects us as adults. The end was a bit scary for a moment but ended up wonderfully. Is a positive outlook on humans and their propensity to live! ( )
  Daffydownd1lly | Apr 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jamey Hyde and Elise Perez come from two different worlds. He attends Yale and lives a life of wealth and privilege. She's poor, works at a fish store and relies on her street smarts to get by. They meet and soon their attraction for one another turns their worlds upside down.

Dark, disturbing, sexy, and raw are all words to describe this book that takes place in the mid 1980s. While I personally loved this book and couldn't put it down, others might be turned off by the language and sex. The author really delves into the heart and minds of the main characters in a way that sets this book apart from other typical rich boy/poor girl stories.

This is the type of book that is polarizing because some people might not like the style of how it was written, the actions of characters, or even the ending. I recommend giving it a shot for those of you that are looking for something that isn't a classic love story.

I received a free copy of this book from LibraryThing Early Reviewers and that is my honest review. ( )
  fastforward | Apr 12, 2017 |

A stunning star-crossed love story set against the glitz and grit of 1980s New York City

When Elise Perez meets Jamey Hyde on a desolate winter afternoon, fate implodes, and neither of their lives will ever be the same. Although they are next-door neighbors in New Haven, they come from different worlds. Elise grew up in a housing project without a father and didn’t graduate from high school; Jamey is a junior at Yale, heir to a private investment bank fortune and beholden to high family expectations. Nevertheless, the attraction is instant, and what starts out as sexual obsession turns into something greater, stranger, and impossible to ignore.

The unlikely couple moves to Manhattan in hopes of forging an adult life together, but Jamey’s family intervenes in desperation, and the consequences of staying together are suddenly severe. And when a night out with old friends takes a shocking turn, Jamey and Elise find themselves fighting not just for their love, but also for their lives.

White Fur follows these indelible characters on their wild race through Newport mansions and downtown NYC nightspots, SoHo bars and WASP-establishment yacht clubs, through bedrooms and hospital rooms, as they explore, love, play, and suffer. Jardine Libaire combines the electricity of Less Than Zero with the timeless intensity of Romeo and Juliet in this searing, gorgeously written novel that perfectly captures the ferocity of young love.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 23 Dec 2016 08:11:39 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

White Fur by Jardine Libaire is available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,905,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible