Fallout: A V.I. Warshawski Novel (V.I.…

Fallout: A V.I. Warshawski Novel (V.I. Warshawski Novels) (edition 2017)

by Sara Paretsky (Author)

Member:CNeedham
Title:Fallout: A V.I. Warshawski Novel (V.I. Warshawski Novels)
Authors:Sara Paretsky (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2017), Edition: First Edition, 448 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:2017, mystery

Fallout by Sara Paretsky

At the urging of a young niece private detective V. I. (Vic) Warshawski travels to Lawrence Kansas in search of an actress and filmmaker who have reportedly traveled there to film part of an autobiographical documentary. This takes Vic out of her usual Chicago setting and distances her from her local support group.

In “Fallout” Sara Paretsky has crafted a complex, multifaceted mystery. What happened to the actress and filmmaker after they arrived in Lawrence? Who is the murdered woman discovered by Warshawksi and who killed her? Why is someone attempting to kill Sonia, the mentally disturbed, substance abusing middle-aged woman known as Polar Bear? Who is the dead woman Vic discovered in a car partially submerged in the river? Why are a high-ranking Army officer and the county sheriff so protective of an experimental agriculture farm housed on a former ICBM base?

While “Fallout” is one of the best mysteries in the long running V. I. Warshawski series, it fails to achieve it’s full potential. Paretsky lived in Lawrence, Kansas while growing up and the early part of the book reads like a trip down memory lane. Be on the lookout for an endearing shout-out to David Paretsky, for example. Because of this self-indulgent approach the plot takes some 80 pages to gel and I laid the book aside several times before the story captured my interest. The plot bogs down again midway through the book when Paretsky takes ten pages to reveal the contents of Sonia’s diary. Two or three paragraphs would have sufficed. A more disciplined approach to the introduction and strategic reductions at other points would have produced a zippier story.

Fallout also would have benefited from more disciplined editing. Paretsky is not particularly good at depicting tension, often telling us rather than showing us that Vic is experiencing stress. In that context Paretsky’s use of clichés like “my blood ran cold” was jarring.

An anti-climactic and somewhat boring ending further weakens “Fallout.” Warshawski emerges victorious—we never doubted her—some 21 pages before the end of the book. Paretsky then proceeds to tell us what happened to practically everyone in the extensive cast of characters. Perhaps she felt a need to tie up all the loose ends but as a consequence “Fallout” gradually coasts to an end like a car that has run out of gas.

Despite these shortcomings I recommend Fallout. The complex, multi-faceted mystery is intriguing and overcame the somewhat undisciplined writing to hold my interest until close to the end. ( )
  Tatoosh | Sep 29, 2018 |
One of her less successful ones. Too many coincidences and implausibilities. ( )
  SChant | Jan 31, 2018 |
To clients seeking her talents as a detective, she's V.I. And her new case will lead her from her native Chicago... and into Kansas, on the trail of a vanished film student and a faded Hollywood star.

Accompanied by her dog, V.I. tracks her quarry through a university town, across fields where missile silos once flourished — and into a past riven by long-simmering racial tensions, a past that holds the key to the crimes of the present. But as the mysteries stack up, so does the body count. And in this, her toughest case, not even V.I. is safe.
  Gmomaj | Nov 4, 2017 |
One of Paretsky's best. V.I is not in Chicago for this adventure, but she is still at the top of her game. A wonderful read that took me just the weekend. OK, I did stay up until nearly 3am reading one night. I love to find books I can't put down. ( )
  LeHack | Sep 19, 2017 |
I loved this book taking V.I. out of her Chicago comfort zone and putting her smack in the middle of America—Kansas. Paretsky has woven a story about two missing people that encompasses the racial history of Lawrence Kansas. As a rural small town girl, Paretsky was right on track with local citizen suspicion of outsiders. Although at times, I though the story line was a little convoluted, it only added to the challenges VI faced. ( )
  brangwinn | Aug 6, 2017 |
FOR SUE BOWKER
With thanks for many things, including your support for this book
"The police say it was drug-related, ma'am. They think August was stealing to deal." Angela Creedy spoke so softly I had to lean forward to hear her.

P.D. JAMES called her "the most remarkable" of today's suspense writers.

STIEG LARSSON loved her work so much, he named her in his novels.

And now SARA PARETSKY returns with the most extraordinary novel of her legendary career: FALLOUT.

Before there was Lisbeth Salander, before there was Stephanie Plum, there was V.I. WARSHAWSKI. To her parents, she's Victoria Iphigenia. To her friends, she's Vic. But to clients seeking her talents as a detective, she's V.I. And her new case will lead her from her native Chicago... and into Kansas, on the trail of a vanished film student and a faded Hollywood star.

Accompanied by her dog, V.I. tracks her quarry through a university town, across fields where missile silos once flourished -- and into a past riven by long-simmering racial tensions, a past that holds the key to the crimes of the present. But as the mysteries stack up, so does the body count. And in this, her toughest case, not even V.I. is safe.

Exciting and provocative, fiercely intelligent and witty, FALLOUT is reading at its most enjoyable and powerful.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 16 Nov 2016 20:54:15 -0500)

V.I. Warshawski travels to Kansas to investigate the disappearances of a young film student and a faded Hollywood star, but long-simmering racial tensions stir up more mysteries as the body count rises.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,208,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible