HomeGroupsTalkExploreZeitgeist
Search Site
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Loading...

Origin

by Dan Brown

Other authors: See the other authors section.

Series: Robert Langdon (5)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
4,8151841,925 (3.64)38
The #1 New York Times Bestseller (October 2017) from the author of The Da Vinci Code.   Bilbao, Spain   Robert Langdon, Harvard professor of symbology and religious iconology, arrives at the ultramodern Guggenheim Museum Bilbao to attend a major announcement--the unveiling of a discovery that "will change the face of science forever." The evening's host is Edmond Kirsch, a forty-year-old billionaire and futurist whose dazzling high-tech inventions and audacious predictions have made him a renowned global figure. Kirsch, who was one of Langdon's first students at Harvard two decades earlier, is about to reveal an astonishing breakthrough . . . one that will answer two of the fundamental questions of human existence.      As the event begins, Langdon and several hundred guests find themselves captivated by an utterly original presentation, which Langdon realizes will be far more controversial than he ever imagined. But the meticulously orchestrated evening suddenly erupts into chaos, and Kirsch's precious discovery teeters on the brink of being lost forever. Reeling and facing an imminent threat, Langdon is forced into a desperate bid to escape Bilbao. With him is Ambra Vidal, the elegant museum director who worked with Kirsch to stage the provocative event. Together they flee to Barcelona on a perilous quest to locate a cryptic password that will unlock Kirsch's secret.      Navigating the dark corridors of hidden history and extreme religion, Langdon and Vidal must evade a tormented enemy whose all-knowing power seems to emanate from Spain's Royal Palace itself . . . and who will stop at nothing to silence Edmond Kirsch. On a trail marked by modern art and enigmatic symbols, Langdon and Vidal uncover clues that ultimately bring them face-to-face with Kirsch's shocking discovery . . . and the breathtaking truth that has long eluded us.   Origin is stunningly inventive--Dan Brown's most brilliant and entertaining novel to date.… (more)
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 38 mentions

English (167)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Greek (1)  Estonian (1)  All languages (181)
Showing 1-5 of 167 (next | show all)
Fast and fun, the obvious gaps in the story aren't visible if you let yourself get carried away. Almost lives up to the hype in the story - better than most DB novels, and a great eye-opener for Art and symbols. ( )
  tarsel | Sep 4, 2022 |
Dual review with Swedish first and then English!

SWEDISH REVIEW

Begynnelse är en bok som i grund och botten inte når upp till samma nivå som t.ex. Da Vinci Koden och det bero helt på att boken har inte alls samma underbara jakt på ledtrådar eller ett förbluffande slut. Nu säger jag inte att boken är rakt igenom dålig. Den är läsvärd, men den har en sidohandling berörande det spanska kungahuset som känns som utfyllnad samt att handlingsbeskrivningen i stort sätt tar bort spänningen de första kapitlen eftersom man i sort sätt vet vad som ska hända. Och handlingen får mig att tänka på 2001 ett rymdäventyr, så slutet var inte speciallt överraskande.

Jag har haft gott om tid att samla mina tankar inför denna recension, det är ett tag sedan jag läste boken och även om jag fann den OK så var det delar som kändes väldigt pratiga, speciellt när Kirsch höll monologer. Det var kul att läsa om Langdon igen, men Ambra Vida (och hennes anknytning till det spanska kungahuset) kändes bara som ett upprepning av de tidigare böcker, med att Langdon behöver en kvinnlig kompanjon. Slutet är tamt, själva upplösningen, svaret på gåtan kändes som en rejäl besvikelse.

Begynnelse är en lättsam bok, men med tyvärr tämligen en svag story. Den är underhållande för stunden och jag gillar att boken utspelas i Barcelona. Det var kul att läsa om Langdon igen men Winston är boken stora behållning!

Tack till Albert Bonniers Förlag för recensionsexemplaret!

ENGLISH REVIEW

Origin is a book that unfortunately does not reach the same level as for example The Da Vinci Code and the reason for it are that the book does not have the same wonderful hunt for clues or an amazing ending. Now I do not say the book is all through bad. It is readable, but it has a side story about the Spanish royal house that feels unnecessary to the main story (yes there is a link, but all and all not enough to satisfy me) and that the blurb removes the excitement of the first chapters because you know what will happen the first part of the book. Also, the book made me think of 2001: A Space Odyssey, so the last part of the book was hardly a surprise.

I've had plenty of time to gather my thoughts for this review, it's been a while since I read the book and although I found it OK, there were parts that felt very wordy, especially when Kirsch held monologues. It was fun to read about Langdon again, but Ambra Vida (and her connection to the Spanish royal house) only felt like a repeat of the previous books because Langdon needs a female companion and an "enemy". The end is tame, the answer to the mystery felt like a real disappointment.

Origin is an easy-to-read book, but unfortunately with quite a weak story. It's entertaining for the moment and I like the book being set in Barcelona. It was fun to read about Langdon again, but Winston is the one that made the book truly enjoyable to read.

Thanks to Albert Bonniers Förlag for the review copy! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
When I tell you that this book was rolling in molly! This was such a crazy trip I didn't know how I was going to feel about this book at the beginning. But I was very much surprised by the end how much I fell into the story as much as I did. I had to know everything and when I felt that I did I was slapped back into reality that I know nothing. I was not prepared for the ending at all. So much happened within the last few 100 pages. I think this is one of, it not my favorite Dan Brown books. THis story will stay with me for a very long time. ( )
  mythical_library | Jun 14, 2022 |
Dan Brown at his best. I restrained myself from buying this until it was available on my digital library. It was worth the wait! ( )
  Windyone1 | May 10, 2022 |
Amazing, especially for me as a budding computer scientist and atheist. The plot was a little predictable as has become usual with Dan Brown, but the book was an amazing page turner still.

My personal ranking of Robert Langdon stories -

Angels and Demons
Da Vinci Code
Origin
Inferno
Lost Symbol

Highly recommended! ( )
  liberation999 | May 6, 2022 |
Showing 1-5 of 167 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review

» Add other authors

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Dan Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Information from the Russian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Epigraph
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. Joseph Campbell
Dedication
In Memory of My Mother
First words
As the ancient cogwheel train clawed its way up the dizzying incline, Edmond Kirsch surveyed the jagged mountaintop above him.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS
Canonical LCC

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English

None

The #1 New York Times Bestseller (October 2017) from the author of The Da Vinci Code.   Bilbao, Spain   Robert Langdon, Harvard professor of symbology and religious iconology, arrives at the ultramodern Guggenheim Museum Bilbao to attend a major announcement--the unveiling of a discovery that "will change the face of science forever." The evening's host is Edmond Kirsch, a forty-year-old billionaire and futurist whose dazzling high-tech inventions and audacious predictions have made him a renowned global figure. Kirsch, who was one of Langdon's first students at Harvard two decades earlier, is about to reveal an astonishing breakthrough . . . one that will answer two of the fundamental questions of human existence.      As the event begins, Langdon and several hundred guests find themselves captivated by an utterly original presentation, which Langdon realizes will be far more controversial than he ever imagined. But the meticulously orchestrated evening suddenly erupts into chaos, and Kirsch's precious discovery teeters on the brink of being lost forever. Reeling and facing an imminent threat, Langdon is forced into a desperate bid to escape Bilbao. With him is Ambra Vidal, the elegant museum director who worked with Kirsch to stage the provocative event. Together they flee to Barcelona on a perilous quest to locate a cryptic password that will unlock Kirsch's secret.      Navigating the dark corridors of hidden history and extreme religion, Langdon and Vidal must evade a tormented enemy whose all-knowing power seems to emanate from Spain's Royal Palace itself . . . and who will stop at nothing to silence Edmond Kirsch. On a trail marked by modern art and enigmatic symbols, Langdon and Vidal uncover clues that ultimately bring them face-to-face with Kirsch's shocking discovery . . . and the breathtaking truth that has long eluded us.   Origin is stunningly inventive--Dan Brown's most brilliant and entertaining novel to date.

No library descriptions found.

Book description
Haiku summary

Popular covers

Quick Links

Rating

Average: (3.64)
0.5 2
1 22
1.5 3
2 69
2.5 29
3 259
3.5 87
4 314
4.5 24
5 193

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,006,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible