Origin: (Robert Langdon Book 5) by Dan Brown

Origin: (Robert Langdon Book 5) (edition 2017)

by Dan Brown (Author)

Series: Robert Langdon (5)

Robert Langdon, Harvard professor of symbology and religious iconology, arrives at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao to attend the unveiling of a discovery that "will change the face of science forever". The evening's host is his friend and former student, Edmond Kirsch, a forty-year-old tech magnate whose dazzling inventions and audacious predictions have made him a controversial figure around the world. This evening is to be no exception: he claims he will reveal an astonishing scientific breakthrough to challenge the fundamentals of human existence. But Langdon and several hundred other guests are left reeling when the meticulously orchestrated evening is blown apart before Kirsch's precious discovery can be revealed. With his life under threat, Langdon is forced into a desperate bid to escape, along with the museum's director, Ambra Vidal. Together they flee to Barcelona on a perilous quest to locate a cryptic password that will unlock Kirsch's secret.… (more)
Member:hermionecaroline
Title:Origin: (Robert Langdon Book 5)
Authors:Dan Brown (Author)
Info:Bantam Press (2017)

Origin by Dan Brown

English (146)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Estonian (1)  All languages (158)
this is now my new fave Dan Brown novel! ( )
  Joy_Bush | Jul 22, 2021 |
Extremely formulaic, Dan Brown seems to write the same book over and over again. Every step of the way was easy to see
  psmith65 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Entertaining? Yes. Dan Brown's best? No but maybe it's because Robert Langdon is getting older. ( )
  JosephKingman | Jul 17, 2021 |
It has been four years since Dan Brown’s last book Inferno was published, while that book (and the ensuing movie adaptation) felt more of an extension of the Robert Langdon series that began with Angels and Demons, and made most famous by The Da Vinci Code, this newest Robert Langdon novel deals with a topic that seems a bit more profound.

We live in a world where the advancement of science and the teachings of religion have sometimes come into conflict, and both communities, in their own ways, seek to answer the two most fundamental questions of our world: How did it all begin? Where are we going? These two questions of our origin and our future linger throughout the entire novel, and the ending provides what I think is only a likely outcome, by no means the only one.

Dan Brown manages to wrap the answer of these two questions, or rather an exploration and discussion of these two questions in a story we’ve come to expect, one that takes place in Spain, with prominent landmarks such as The Bilbao Guggenheim Museum, the Casa Milà and the Sangria Família all featuring rather prominently, along with the Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí’s other works.

Without giving away the crux of the story, I must say the topic that is central to this story is perhaps the most profound, and most relevant today. We live in an era of revolutionary technological changes, and these changes are begun to challenge, or in many instances, have already challenged some of our most basic perceptions about the world in which we live, the interactions we have with our surroundings, and even some of the values we hold most dear. As the author so eloquently writes through one of its main characters, human beings are evolving into something different … we will, in a blink of an eye, become the next page in the flip book of evolution.” How we, as a species deal with this future, in our life time, and in the life times of generations that come after us, is certainly worth pondering.

Recently I’ve been reading Thomas Friedman’s latest book, Thank You for Being Late, which also deals with how we cope with fast changes in the age of accelerations. There are probably a few hundred other books out there that I have not had time to read (nor am I particularly interested in reading frankly) that touches upon different aspects of the impact of technology on human life and the demand for individuals and societies to adapt to the tide of change.

As someone who is fairly agnostic, and for the most part an atheist, this book, more so than any other Dan Brown book that I have read (I believe I’ve read all of his books, at least all the ones featuring Robert Langdon), made me think, and consider just what may lay ahead for humanity as we experience more progress in technology. Will there truly be a seventh kingdom?

As a naturally curious person and a self-proclaimed information junky, this book has plenty of items that prompted me to want to know more and at least read their Wikipedia articles. Any book, let alone a novel, that provides this level of intrigue and drives me to ponder in the hours, days and weeks ahead, is a good book by my standards.

4 Stars. ( )
  geoff79 | Jul 11, 2021 |
Not as action packed as the previous installments, not a lot of the famous Langdon code breaking. Red herrings and a couple of storylines which didn’t seem too important, especially at the end. Very intricate set up as always with real world settings and information interwoven with fiction. Slower build and burn with a less dramatic payoff. Still well written. ( )
  The_Literary_Jedi | Jun 11, 2021 |

Dan Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sappinen, Jorma-VeikkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. Joseph Campbell
In Memory of My Mother
As the ancient cogwheel train clawed its way up the dizzying incline, Edmond Kirsch surveyed the jagged mountaintop above him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,259,471 books! | Top bar: Always visible