Ninth House: The global sensation from the…

Ninth House: The global sensation from the Sunday Times bestselling author of The Familiar (Alex Stern, 1) (edition 2020)

by Leigh Bardugo (Author)

Series: Alex Stern (1)

Galaxy "Alex" Stern is the most unlikely member of Yale's freshman class. Raised in the Los Angeles hinterlands by a hippie mom, Alex dropped out of school early and into a world of shady drug-dealer boyfriends, dead-end jobs, and much, much worse. In fact, by age twenty, she is the sole survivor of a horrific, unsolved multiple homicide. Some might say she's thrown her life away. But at her hospital bed, Alex is offered a second chance: to attend one of the world's most prestigious universities on a full ride. What's the catch, and why her? Still searching for answers, Alex arrives in New Haven tasked by her mysterious benefactors with monitoring the activities of Yale's secret societies. Their eight windowless "tombs" are the well-known haunts of the rich and powerful, from high-ranking politicos to Wall Street's biggest players. But their occult activities are more sinister and more extraordinary than any paranoid imagination might conceive. They tamper with forbidden magic. They raise the dead. And, sometimes, they prey on the living.… (more)
Member:Alisonmh
Title:Ninth House: The global sensation from the Sunday Times bestselling author of The Familiar (Alex Stern, 1)
Authors:Leigh Bardugo (Author)
Info:Gollancz (2020), Edition: 1, 480 pages

Work Information

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

Legendborn by Tracy Deonn (Aquila)
    Aquila: Pairing these because they both are about magic hidden in secret societies on old college campuses, I like what Tracey Deonn does with that a lot more.

English (177)  Dutch (1)  All languages (178)
This was just OK. I'm not an urban fantasy fan anyway and I just didn't like the characters much or the setting. I won't carry on. ( )
  infjsarah | Apr 24, 2024 |
This is my second time trying to read this, and I did make it half way this time. But unfortunately, as much as I want to like this book because the concept sounds awesome, it's not for me. I don't enjoy the main character at all, and the plot is too slow to make up for that and the many sensitive topics that seemed somewhat overindulged. I love Bardugo's style and descriptiveness, but this one is just not my cup of tea! ( )
  staygoldsunshine | Apr 23, 2024 |
read
  BurlingtonComLibrary | Apr 20, 2024 |
It was ok, I just really didn't like the writing style. Not for me. ( )
  Donderowicz | Mar 12, 2024 |
This was... not great? I didn't hate it, but I didn't like any particular part of it either. I do have a lot of complaints, though.

- Boring, repetitive plotting. Lots of sneaking into different buildings by using different magical items that ALL DO THE SAME THING. Though the tricks changed regularly (at least in theory - wow she's using a magical compulsion powder this time instead of that other compulsion coin!), it still got old way too early into the book.

- I don't think we ever got a compelling reason for why the main character cared about solving this murder, why she goes so out of her way for it. My best guess is that it's just because she's a rebel or whatever, but still I never got to feel her rebelliousness. Not a lot of feelings in this book, in general, despite the amount of trauma being inflicted.

- Shock value writing. Not my thing in general, especially not in a case like this. It started feeling like overkill, like the book was tipping over into a horror-comedy, Zombieland-style (it sounds horrible, but I had to giggle a bit when I realized we were really going to do a "ghost rape," like can you get any more ridiculous). The sheer amount of sexual assault in this book is astounding, and most of it wasn't treated with any particular respect or realism. How am I supposed to root for this blooming romance when its catalyst was a magical aphrodisiac date rape drug? Similarly, how am I supposed to take the ending seriously when there are that many double and triple-takes? ( )
  boopingaround | Mar 6, 2024 |

Leigh Bardugoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Axtell, Michael DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graphic CompressorCover imagesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayes, KeithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Picacio, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

By the time Alex managed to get the blood out of her good wool coat, it was too warm to wear it.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,907,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible