Dividing Eden by Joelle Charbonneau

Dividing Eden (edition 2017)

by Joelle Charbonneau (Author)

Series: Dividing Eden (1)

291970,896 (3.75)1
From the author of the New York Times bestselling The Testing trilogy comes a sweeping new fantasy series, perfect for fans of Victoria Aveyard and Sarah J. Maas. Twins Carys and Andreus were never destined to rule Eden. With their older brother next in line to inherit the throne, the future of the kingdom was secure. But appearances--and rivals--can be deceiving. When Eden's king and crown prince are killed by assassins, Eden desperately needs a monarch, but the line of succession is no longer clear. With a ruling council scheming to gain power, Carys and Andreus are faced with only one option--to take part in a Trial of Succession that will determine which one of them is worthy of ruling the kingdom. As sister and brother, Carys and Andreus have always kept each other safe--from their secrets, from the court, and from the monsters lurking in the mountains beyond the kingdom's wall. But the Trial of Succession will test the bonds of trust and family. With their country and their hearts divided, Carys and Andreus will discover exactly what each will do to win the crown. How long before suspicion takes hold and the thirst for power leads to the ultimate betrayal?… (more)
Member:strangetrails
Title:Dividing Eden
Authors:Joelle Charbonneau (Author)
Info:HarperTeen (2017), Edition: International ed., 336 pages

Dividing Eden by Joelle Charbonneau

I met Joelle Charbonneau, and she really down played the excitement in this tale. She also didn't give away ANY clues to the shocker of the entire story. I loved this, from the beginning of the book to the high energy of the back and forth of the brother and sister bonds that will stand the test of time, or will it??? Look to the stars, they reveal all. ( )
  MrNattania72 | Mar 17, 2020 |
I'm conflicted about this book. I enjoyed it, I liked the concept, but for some reason it felt flat.
The premise was interesting, twins Carys and Andreus competing for the throne, but I think the book was too slow to get there. I was expecting the competition right away, but first we meet the characters, the King and prince die, the queen doesn't accept to become the ruler and then the seer, Lady Imogen, fiance of the dead prince Micah, says that in a book says the twins have to compete against each other because the Elders want to chose another dude for King. So the competition begins, but as the twins are in good terms with each other it turns out kinda boring.
I had a different idea of where the story would go, in my mind it had fierce competion, great challenges, but nope. I got archery competition, a race and as any fantasy book, a ball.
The first chapter of the book was a boring introduction to be honest, I had a hard time getting into the story because one of the first things they tell you is how Carys is not like other silly girls who want to get married and have children, and Andreus is the typical womanizer who has sex with everything that moves.
I liked their bond at the beginning, they seemed to be there for each other all the time... but then I noticed Andreus says he cares for her sister, but when the time to show it comes, he always lets her down. He's a piece of shit. He literally sleeps with her brother's fiance the day he dies! and the day his sister is punished to protect him.
What I found interesting is that Carys has an addiction, it was something I'd never read about in a fantasy book, and one of the twins is cursed, but it wasn't explained what the curse was.
There are other characters but they didn't leave a strong impression, and there is like magic but I didn't understand what's with that.
It's enjoyable, but not the best fantasy book you'll read. I'm intrigued to read the sequel hoping Andreus dies and to know what's with the magic and the curse. ( )
  Rosechaser110 | Jul 17, 2019 |
This was a very interesting book, with lots of mystery and secrecy, though I expect no less from Mrs. Charbonneau! I'm so excited for book 2! ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
The start was slow, clunky, and confusing as to what was going on.
The middle started to clarify issues and got me a bit more invested in the characters and storyline. However, if I never then the word "squelched" in a section about emotions, I'll be in a very happy place.
The last few chapters kicked it up a notch, and I couldn't put it down. I finally was invested enough that I needed to see how it played out.

Overall, it was a decent read, even with the writing style a bit to immature and use of repetitive words. If the second one starts with the same energy as the last half of this, I'll pick it up. If it goes back to being slow, might be a pass at that point. ( )
  JPetersonReads | Dec 23, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. At first I was annoyed by all the secrets that were continuously referenced but never revealed. I totally understand why now. Cary and Andreus were fantastic, complex characters and I still have not figured out who is good and who is bad. I'm so excited for the next book, even if I have to wait for it. Joelle Charbonneau has a talent for completing a story with a cliff-hanger without leaving me feel as if the book is not somehow resolved. I love her work. ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

For my son, Max, who makes my heart smile.

You certainly are not the doom.
Freedom was a myth
Because everyone wanted something, and when someone coveted a thing enough, rarely did they question the price.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,261,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible