Internet Famous

by Danika Stone

Internet sensation Madison Nakama has it all! Her pop-culture rewatch site has a massive following, and fans across the world wait on her every post and tweet. Even Madi's dismal romantic life seems ready to take off as Laurent, a fellow geek (and unfairly HOT French exchange student!) starts flirting with her in the comments section of her blog. But Laurent's not the only one watching for Madi's replies. Internet fame has a price, and their online romance sparks the unwanted attention of a troll. When Madi's "real life" hits a rough patch, she feels her whole world crumbling. With Laurent's support, can Madi rally her friends across the globe to beat the troll, or will he succeed in driving her away from everything--and everyone--she loves?… (more)

Internet Famous by Danika Stone

Usually, I adore YA books and I thought the concept around this one was great. The problem for me and where it fell short was it just did not feel believable. I really had a lot of trouble with the characters and the parental figures. Honestly, I don't know if it improved but I had to stop reading halfway through. It was just impossible for me to get into. I have read a lot of other great reviews of this book, so maybe it just wasn't for me.

Thank you NetGalley and Macmillan Children's Publishing Group for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
  abookishabode | May 24, 2022 |
Online fame and offline conflicts collide in Danika Stone's Internet Famous. Madi is a homeschooled highschooler with a cult following of her rewatches and reactions on basically-Tumblr. She has a load of fans, and that's both her biggest strength and her biggest worry.

It's a feel-good story, with a YA romance and a bond between two sisters. ( )
  TheFictionAddiction | Aug 12, 2020 |
This was a fun, light book to read despite the issues I had with it.

First let's start with the things I liked:
- FANDOMS
- Online friendships
- Hot French guy *wiggles eyebrows*
- Pop culture
- Madi's blog was cool af

That's basically about it.

Now off to the things that I had a couple of issues with:
- Madi acted like a dick towards her sister unnecessarily sometimes, I mean yeah dealing with someone who has any sort of mental illness or special needs is exhausting when everyone expects you to handle everything all the time. BUT you do not walk away from your own sister while she's in the middle of a breakdown that was just a dick move.

- Madi "knew" she was gonna "fall" for Laurent the moment she saw how gorgeous he was. I don't know about you but it screams superficial to me.

- Laurent was too damn perfect (I mean I don't mind that little bit of perfection here and there but DAMN the guy has it all; looks, personality, height, manners, accent... EVERYTHING) it was a bit frustrating at some point.

- How insta-love-y the whole relationship between Madi and Laurent was *rolling eyes*

- I might be biased in this one because I'm fluent in French, BUT I'm pretty sure almost everyone can understand what "je t'aime" means, yet Laurent says it to Madi a billion times and she doesn't even UNDERSTAND it!! Plus if MY boyfriend was a French guy and I didn't speak his language I would've started learning it.

- The French translations weren't accurate most of the times. And I'm not speaking about when Laurent told her "je t'adore" then when she asked he replied with something other than the real meaning, I know that was done on purpose. But the other translations -I can't remember one rn- were not accurate, it was as if the translation was done using Google Translate, and we all know how accurate that one can be.

But despite this, I actually had fun reading this book, it was so light (hell I finished it in one sitting even though I had a lot of school work to do) ( )
  Ray_ | Mar 24, 2018 |
Literary merit: Good
Characterization: Good
Recommended: Recommended
Level: high school

This is a very relatable novel for today's teens. A contemporary romance that takes place online and in real life. The book has a dictionary in the front that helps the reader know how the story will be written. The format of the book is narrative and switches to a text dialog. Generally I don't like this style but it really works in this book because of the characters two lives (online and real life). ( )
  SWONroyal | Feb 14, 2018 |
I won this in a GOODREADS giveaway -- Internet Famous by Danika Stone -- a pretty good Youth book! I actually enjoyed it! ( )
  tenamouse67 | Jan 6, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 185,347,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible