Gone Without a Trace by Mary Torjussen

Gone Without a Trace

by Mary Torjussen

Hannah Monroe comes home from work expecting her boyfriend Matt to be waiting for her but instead, she finds all trace of his presence in their home to be erased. His artwork is missing from the walls, his clothes, his furniture, and even his TV has been replaced by her old TV as if he was never there at all. She tries to call him only to find that his number has been erased from her phone, all of their text messages, e-mails, as well as every single picture from their four-year relationship. They were happy, they never fought, and life was good. Hannah doesn’t understand why he would up and leave like that without even trying to talk to her about it and all she wants is for him to give her a reason why.

‘I knew that if I were to just see him again, just talk to him, he’d remember how much he loved me. And then he’d come back.’

Desperate to find answers, Hannah begins to search for Matt any way that she knows how and she starts by contacting him at his office only to find that he had quit the week prior. She tries to get in touch with his mother only to find she moved months before Matt had left and nothing was ever mentioned to Hannah. Social media is also a dead-end and she quickly becomes even more determined to find him. She contacts his barber, any and all hotels in a reasonably distanced area, she stands outside the pub he used to frequent, and she only gets worse as time progresses. She starts keeping a notebook and post it notes to keep track of places she’s contacted hoping to uncover some connection to Matt during her research.

‘For a moment I didn’t know what to do; I knew that if I didn’t write (the) details down somewhere noticeable, I’d forget them, so I picked up a red marker pen and made a note on one of my glossy cabinets.’

Months pass and her obsessiveness over finding him only increases. She spends so much time looking for him that the job she used to pride herself on begins to suffer and she can’t seem to keep up with the workload anymore. She has trouble sleeping, she drinks far more than normal, and her appearance, physical (and mental) health quickly begins to deteriorate. And to make matters worse she’s started receiving unsettling text messages from unknown numbers, letters in her postbox, and she thinks someone is coming into her house when she’s gone.

‘I wore the same clothes as I’d worn the day before. They were my lucky clothes now. And I’d lain awake all night in them, too, so that the luck didn’t wear off. I couldn’t risk that.’
Hannah was quite the unlikeable character because of how exasperating her obsessive tendencies became. She became absolutely delusional but you couldn’t help wanting more for her, for her to be stronger, especially when you begin to realize just how much time has elapsed where she’s let this obsession take over her life. What I found most alarming yet fascinating about watching everything unfold was trying to uncover what motivated her, what possessed her to take things to such extremes. One can expect heartbreak from being left alone, but Hannah’s supposed heartbreak transformed into something terrifyingly destructive. In addition to all this, other facets of Hannah’s life are slowly revealed and we’re given glimpses into a troubling childhood and a best friend whom she shares a toxic relationship with. As the story unveils itself, you begin to question everything because there’s clearly something missing from this elaborate mystery. Admittedly, these scenes where she describes the feeling of being watched were so thoroughly unsettling that I began to feel one with Hannah and her paranoia.

Gone Without A Trace is a psychological thriller brimming with anticipation and tension that will make this an impossible read to put down. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | Jun 2, 2017 |
Hannah Monroe returns home one night to find her boyfriend of four years gone. All his belongings are gone and everything of Hannah's has been put back the way they were before Matt moved in. All trace of him being in her life is gone - the call logs, the texts, pictures. His cell number is no longer in use and all his social media accounts have been deleted. She can't understand why he'd do this but she's desperate to find him so he'll know she's not mad at him and that he can explain himself when he comes back to her. She'll do whatever it takes to track him down.

Right from the beginning I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. What happened to Matt?! Things weren't moving fast enough. It was so suspenseful. Then when I found out, eh. I wasn't really surprised. There was one thing I didn't see coming that tied the whole story together but it just felt anticlimactic. I wish a few things could've been different. I feel so let down. But the first three quarters of the book was intense ( )
  jenn88 | May 2, 2017 |
After four years of living together, Hannah returns home from work one evening to find her significant other, Matt, has taken all his belongings and has disappeared. There is no trace of him: their entire call history deleted, all photos vanished, his social media profiles gone. What happened to Matt?
The book follows Hannah's first person point of view throughout as she becomes obsessed with finding Matt to the detriment of her job and personal life.
I was initially really gripped by this. The premise was very interesting and the first few chapters strong. But once the author started providing background information on the characters, I thought the story became predictable and the twists weren't exactly surprising. It's very difficult to go into any details without giving the entire story away. Reviews of this differ wildly and I seem to be totally in the minority with my opinion that the revelations were easy to anticipate.
I would have preferred if the author had kept the main character's mental state more consistent. Again, difficult to explain without spoiling the plot. I really loved the ending though.
There were some nice unsettling and creepy bits and overall, it kept me entertained. Not always for the right reasons though. I listened to the audiobook narration and found it really amusing how the narrator used a posh Southern accent when Hannah was on her own and then switched to a really strong Liverpool accent for direct speech. What was the reasoning behind that? With a first person POV, it certainly didn't make the character very credible. Apart from that the narration was actually well done. ( )
  Pet12 | May 2, 2017 |
[Gone Without A Trace] by Mary Torjussen
4 Stars

From The Book:
Hannah Monroe's boyfriend, Matt, is gone. His belongings have disappeared from their house. Every call she ever made to him, every text she ever sent, every photo of him and any sign of him on social media have vanished. It's as though their last four years together never happened.

As Hannah struggles to get through the next few days, with humiliation and recriminations whirring through her head, she knows that she'll do whatever it takes to find him again and get answers. But as soon as her search starts, she realizes she is being led into a maze of madness and obsession. Step by suspenseful step, Hannah discovers her only way out is to come face to face with the shocking truth.

My Views:
Anyone who likes to follow the clues and try to solve the mystery before the last sentence on the last page, will absolutely love this book. The thing that presented a little problem with that was that everyone quickly became a suspect. Everyone had motive and opportunity. I'm usually pretty successful at hunting out the villains and finding the "why" of the story...but in this case the truth was something that I had never in a million years thought of. [Gone Without A Trace] is a twisted psychological thriller that will keep you spellbound right up until the very end...even if you never guess it. ( )
  Carol420 | Apr 28, 2017 |
Hannah Moore is having a great day at work after finding out she is being considered for a promotion. She cannot wait to get home and share the news with her live-in boyfriend of four years, Matt. When she arrives home, she finds that Matt, along with all of his possessions is missing.

Matt has left no trace of his whereabouts and has completely erased Hannah from his life. His cell phone has been disconnected and all his social media accounts are gone. Files and photos on her computer have also been wiped clean along with her emails. Hannah is in complete shock about his departure and missed all signs that he was unhappy. Hannah can’t accept her situation and starts to search for her missing boyfriend. She becomes obsessed with locating him which begins to affect her job and her emotional well-being.

This novel is a thriller with unforseen twists and turns. To say more would spoil the mystery. This is a captivating debut novel by Mary Torjussen which kept me on edge until its' conclusion. ( )
  leopolds | Apr 22, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible