Gone Without a Trace by Mary Torjussen

Gone Without a Trace

by Mary Torjussen

4019285,656 (3.38)2

Hannah Moore is having a great day at work after finding out she is being considered for a promotion. She cannot wait to get home and share the news with her live-in boyfriend of four years, Matt. When she arrives home, she finds that Matt, along with all of his possessions is missing.

Matt has left no trace of his whereabouts and has completely erased Hannah from his life. His cell phone has been disconnected and all his social media accounts are gone. Files and photos on her computer have also been wiped clean along with her emails. Hannah is in complete shock about his departure and missed all signs that he was unhappy. Hannah can’t accept her situation and starts to search for her missing boyfriend. She becomes obsessed with locating him which begins to affect her job and her emotional well-being.

This novel is a thriller with unforseen twists and turns. To say more would spoil the mystery. This is a captivating debut novel by Mary Torjussen which kept me on edge until its' conclusion. ( )
  leopolds | Apr 22, 2017 |
This book and me did not get along. I was so excited to read this novel because the story sounded exactly like the kind of book that I enjoy. I thought it started out okay but then I found myself wanting to put it down. I would set this book aside and read another book and go back to it and quickly find that I was bored again. I actually ended up reading a couple of other books in the middle of this one which is something that I rarely do. I considered not finishing this book but I pushed myself to finish it instead. After finishing the book, I do wish that I had just stopped as soon as I realized that it wasn't working for me.

Hannah comes home from work to find her boyfriend, Matt, gone from their home. Matt has taken absolutely everything that he had in their home. It is like Matt never lived there. Photos are gone. He even erased all of the phone records, texts, and emails. Hannah is stunned and has no idea where Matt has gone or why he left. She can't get his loss out of her mind and starts working to figure out where he has gone.

After the initial shock of Matt's leaving, there didn't seem to be a whole lot going on in this book. Hannah does not deal with his leaving well at all and her spiral downward is detailed in the story but it seemed to me that the story needed something to keep things moving forward. I found that I spent most of the book rather bored.

The story does have a big twist and the last quarter of the book does pick up the pace. I would imagine that most people will really appreciate this giant twist but by the time it was revealed, I had really lost any investment in the story that I had ever had. I did find that the last section of the book did seem to move faster and was more entertaining.

I think that this is a book that some readers will love but it will not work well for others. Unfortunately, I was in the later group. I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading it that really thinks that they would enjoy it based on the description but I won't be encouraging readers to pick it up either.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via NetGalley. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Apr 20, 2017 |
STORY-LINE GONE WITHOUT A TRACE:

In Gone Without A Trace, we find Hannah Monroe heading home from a successful conference; happy to soon be in the arms of her love, Matt. What meets Hannah is out of a nightmare. Every trace of Matt has disappeared, from text messages, photo's, personal articles, and things they had purchased together. It is as if Matt never existed. Then when Hannah did not think anything stranger could happen, odd things begin to occur. Who is messing with Hannah and why? Hannah, after days of crying, self-pity, and indecision, decides to find Matt and solve the mystery.

Come along with Hannah on a journey of suspense and terror. My crime suspense novel review of Gone Without A Trace follows.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, DEVELOPMENT:

Author Mary Torjussen crafted an intriguing spine tingling, criminal suspense novel in her first offering to readers, Gone Without A Trace. First I must say, I found the main character, Hannah Monroe, whiny and insecure. I understand her stress, shock, and heart-break, however, most people would immediately call the cops. That said, I enjoyed the suspense, and twist and turns as Hannah began her search for Matt; it all made sense as the plot's revealed.

Torjussen included twists and turns, dysfunctional families, thrills, suspense, mystery, and obsession in her story-line. The plot's skillful and the pace steady and fast. With an ending twist which left my mouth hanging open in amazement, I found myself dumbfounded! I never guessed what was coming.

Finally, in concluding my crime suspense novel review of Gone Without A Trace, I found a solid story with fast pacing and enough intrigue and mystery to satisfy any one. Although I found Hannah's character irritating and immature in the beginning, it made sense as I neared the end of book. I found the twists in the story provided a satisfying read. I would not hesitate to buy this book for my self or a friend as it provided hours of chills and thrills and an ending which will knock your socks off.

GONE WITHOUT A TRACE RECOMMENDATION: STARS 4

In addition, I found Gone Without A Trace suitable for young adults and adults.

FINALLY, PLEASE NOTE:

Additionally, I received this book from Netgalley and the publisher; and chose to voluntarily review the book with an honest crime suspense novel review. Lastly, book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book reviews on-line and on my blog, are my opinions. In addition, the free ARC did not affect my crime suspense novel review. ( )
  vera_mallard | Apr 20, 2017 |
This seemed to start out a little slow for me and I wasn't sure how I liked the characters but then there were some great twists and turns and I really began to like this story. Make sure to keep reading because I loved the ending. I wasn't sure who to be rooting for through most of this book. I received a copy of this book from penguin random house for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Apr 16, 2017 |
Gone Without a Trace is a new suspense novel by Mary Torjussen. Hannah Monroe is an accountant in Northwest England. She spent the day at a training course and is in a good mood because her boss implied that she will be getting a much-desired promotion to director in the fall. Hannah arrives home to find all of Matt’s, her boyfriend, belonging gone. Everything was the way it was before Matt had moved into the house. Hannah goes to call Matt and his contact information was removed from her phone along with pictures she had taken. She goes online and finds that all of his social media accounts have vanished. Hannah is shocked and confused. She thought everything was fine with their relationship. Hannah calls his phone number, but it has been disconnected. On Monday, she contacts his work to find out that he had quit a week earlier. She goes by his mother’s home to find that she moved several months prior. Hannah does not understand what is going on and starts calling area hotels looking for Matt. Hannah is neglecting her work searching for Matt. A week later Hannah receives a text from an unknown number stating, “I’m home”. Hannah is sure it is from Matt and rushes home to find the house empty. Then little things start happening at home. She comes home to find the dead flowers replaced and another time the tea kettle is hot with steam on the tiles. Is Matt behind these incidents? If not Matt, then who? Hannah is more determined to find Matt and get answers. But will she like the responses?

Gone Without a Trace sounded like a great suspense novel. I was eager to read it and was quickly let down. The novel is told from Hannah’s point-of-view, and it is soon obvious that she has an unusual as well as unreliable view point (she is also very unlikeable). I believe the story would have been better if told from the third person (narrator) perspective. Readers are subjected to every single thing that Hannah does to find Matt. I did not understand why Hannah was going to such lengths to find him. I can understand wanting answers, but she took it to another level (which is the point, but it is still odd). The pace of the book is slow in the beginning (monotonous), but picks up in the last forty percent of the book. There is finally some action and things start coming together (in a way). I give Gone Without a Trace 3 out of 5 stars. I could tell what had happened early in the book. It was obvious what had occurred and who was behind it (limited cluster of suspects and obvious clues). I do wish that the mystery had been more intricate and difficult to decipher (and a faster pace). I never felt the suspense. Gone Without a Trace was an acceptable mystery novel. I just wanted more. I wanted the hair on my arms to stand at attention and for me to be riveted. The book has potential. With a little rewriting and editing it could be superb. This is the author’s debut novel. I will be interested to read her next creation. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Apr 12, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,836,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible