Gone Without a Trace by Mary Torjussen

Gone Without a Trace

by Mary Torjussen

Hannah Monroe returns home one night to find her boyfriend of four years gone. All his belongings are gone and everything of Hannah's has been put back the way they were before Matt moved in. All trace of him being in her life is gone - the call logs, the texts, pictures. His cell number is no longer in use and all his social media accounts have been deleted. She can't understand why he'd do this but she's desperate to find him so he'll know she's not mad at him and that he can explain himself when he comes back to her. She'll do whatever it takes to track him down.

Right from the beginning I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. What happened to Matt?! Things weren't moving fast enough. It was so suspenseful. Then when I found out, eh. I wasn't really surprised. There was one thing I didn't see coming that tied the whole story together but it just felt anticlimactic. I wish a few things could've been different. I feel so let down. But the first three quarters of the book was intense ( )
  jenn88 | May 2, 2017 |
After four years of living together, Hannah returns home from work one evening to find her significant other, Matt, has taken all his belongings and has disappeared. There is no trace of him: their entire call history deleted, all photos vanished, his social media profiles gone. What happened to Matt?
The book follows Hannah's first person point of view throughout as she becomes obsessed with finding Matt to the detriment of her job and personal life.
I was initially really gripped by this. The premise was very interesting and the first few chapters strong. But once the author started providing background information on the characters, I thought the story became predictable and the twists weren't exactly surprising. It's very difficult to go into any details without giving the entire story away. Reviews of this differ wildly and I seem to be totally in the minority with my opinion that the revelations were easy to anticipate.
I would have preferred if the author had kept the main character's mental state more consistent. Again, difficult to explain without spoiling the plot. I really loved the ending though.
There were some nice unsettling and creepy bits and overall, it kept me entertained. Not always for the right reasons though. I listened to the audiobook narration and found it really amusing how the narrator used a posh Southern accent when Hannah was on her own and then switched to a really strong Liverpool accent for direct speech. What was the reasoning behind that? With a first person POV, it certainly didn't make the character very credible. Apart from that the narration was actually well done. ( )
  Pet12 | May 2, 2017 |
[Gone Without A Trace] by Mary Torjussen
4 Stars

From The Book:
Hannah Monroe's boyfriend, Matt, is gone. His belongings have disappeared from their house. Every call she ever made to him, every text she ever sent, every photo of him and any sign of him on social media have vanished. It's as though their last four years together never happened.

As Hannah struggles to get through the next few days, with humiliation and recriminations whirring through her head, she knows that she'll do whatever it takes to find him again and get answers. But as soon as her search starts, she realizes she is being led into a maze of madness and obsession. Step by suspenseful step, Hannah discovers her only way out is to come face to face with the shocking truth.

My Views:
Anyone who likes to follow the clues and try to solve the mystery before the last sentence on the last page, will absolutely love this book. The thing that presented a little problem with that was that everyone quickly became a suspect. Everyone had motive and opportunity. I'm usually pretty successful at hunting out the villains and finding the "why" of the story...but in this case the truth was something that I had never in a million years thought of. [Gone Without A Trace] is a twisted psychological thriller that will keep you spellbound right up until the very end...even if you never guess it. ( )
  Carol420 | Apr 28, 2017 |
Hannah Moore is having a great day at work after finding out she is being considered for a promotion. She cannot wait to get home and share the news with her live-in boyfriend of four years, Matt. When she arrives home, she finds that Matt, along with all of his possessions is missing.

Matt has left no trace of his whereabouts and has completely erased Hannah from his life. His cell phone has been disconnected and all his social media accounts are gone. Files and photos on her computer have also been wiped clean along with her emails. Hannah is in complete shock about his departure and missed all signs that he was unhappy. Hannah can’t accept her situation and starts to search for her missing boyfriend. She becomes obsessed with locating him which begins to affect her job and her emotional well-being.

This novel is a thriller with unforseen twists and turns. To say more would spoil the mystery. This is a captivating debut novel by Mary Torjussen which kept me on edge until its' conclusion. ( )
  leopolds | Apr 22, 2017 |
This book and me did not get along. I was so excited to read this novel because the story sounded exactly like the kind of book that I enjoy. I thought it started out okay but then I found myself wanting to put it down. I would set this book aside and read another book and go back to it and quickly find that I was bored again. I actually ended up reading a couple of other books in the middle of this one which is something that I rarely do. I considered not finishing this book but I pushed myself to finish it instead. After finishing the book, I do wish that I had just stopped as soon as I realized that it wasn't working for me.

Hannah comes home from work to find her boyfriend, Matt, gone from their home. Matt has taken absolutely everything that he had in their home. It is like Matt never lived there. Photos are gone. He even erased all of the phone records, texts, and emails. Hannah is stunned and has no idea where Matt has gone or why he left. She can't get his loss out of her mind and starts working to figure out where he has gone.

After the initial shock of Matt's leaving, there didn't seem to be a whole lot going on in this book. Hannah does not deal with his leaving well at all and her spiral downward is detailed in the story but it seemed to me that the story needed something to keep things moving forward. I found that I spent most of the book rather bored.

The story does have a big twist and the last quarter of the book does pick up the pace. I would imagine that most people will really appreciate this giant twist but by the time it was revealed, I had really lost any investment in the story that I had ever had. I did find that the last section of the book did seem to move faster and was more entertaining.

I think that this is a book that some readers will love but it will not work well for others. Unfortunately, I was in the later group. I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading it that really thinks that they would enjoy it based on the description but I won't be encouraging readers to pick it up either.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via NetGalley. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Apr 20, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,411,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible