Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

American Queen (2016)

by Sierra Simone

It starts with a stolen kiss under an English sky, and it ends with a walk down the aisle. It starts with the President sending his best friend to woo me on his behalf, and it ends with my heart split in two. It starts with buried secrets and dangerous desires . . . and ends with the three of us bound together with a hateful love sharper than any barbed wire. My name is Greer Galloway, and I serve at the pleasure of the President of the United States. This is the story of an American Queen.… (more)

Utterly absurd, utterly filthy, and utterly fun and smart. If you like smut, like really smutty BDSM smut (light on the SM, this is more control than pain, though there is pain), I recommend this absolutely. My only issue was that the 2 men in this throuple are the US President and VP, and while I had some giggles at the thought of Mike Pence kneeling and .... servicing his partners, the thought of POTUS having rough kinky sex, given that the current president is a sociopath and a criminal who looks like Foghorn Leghorn, sounds like Curly Howard, and presumably smells like Pepe LePew, well it gets the way of the sexy. ( )
  Narshkite | Jul 24, 2020 |
4.5 star rating

BITCH i am Shaken ( )
  angelgay | Jul 1, 2020 |
WILD.
Let me sum this up for you. I cannot do this review without spoilers. And I don’t really wanna. I’ll say I had no problems starting this book - I had some trouble reading it. In the dominant relationship, the President was also somewhat cruel and at times humiliating. That didn’t only happen in the bedroom

So here’s the basic timeline.
-Boy meets Girl. But really, man meets minor. At least per the age of consent in this country. Man knows this, kisses and feels up minor anyway. This was a major issue for me because, dear lord, that’s predatory.

-Girl writes sad emails to boy for a year. He never responds. She loves him. She wants to submit to him.

-Girl becomes woman, is celibate. Has only kissed the one man. Is in love with him. This no longer works for me. I mean, one night and holding a flame for 5 years?

-They run into each other 5 years later. Man is now engaged, now woman is heartbroken. So she does his best friend. Loses her virginity. Falls in love of course. Never hears from man’s best friend again.
5 years pass. Is this bananas? Yes. She’s still heartbroken from these two men. She’s still celibate. She’s an academic, daughter of a feminist and borderline TSTL at this point. I’m cool with the ingenue, inexperience if and only if that’s what the woman WANTS. This one appears to be lonely and wanting to get her freak on. So she believes a Merlin. I CAN”T EVEN

-Obvs, the best friend now VP drops by her Georgetown classroom. Asks her on a date. Also says, hey the president is phoning in a booty call, and yeah we all remember you because you are, like, so beautiful and charming.

-She shows up to booty call. President (I’m feeling like I am doing a drunk history right now) is all, hey man, I’m dominant. I don’t really know you but I want to. Call me maybe?
sexy times occur. At some point in this timeline orgasm denial becomes a thing. I don’t enjoy that.
There’s a lot of BDSM that is fine and dandy with me, but don’t deny peeps their orgasms for long periods of time.

-Lots of careening off the other man, the best friend, aka VP aka Embry. At this point I should mention that I dont’ understand her relationship/flame with President as well as I do Embry. She was smart with Embry, their banter was great. They were cute man. I’m cool with submissive in a bedroom if you aren’t spineless. She’s too borderline for me. But only with Ash, aka Mr. President.

-She’s ordered to the bedroom, kneeling, naked, hands behind back to see not one but two pairs of shoes stroll in. At this point, I’m thinking the president is your basic jackass. Sexy times proceed despite Greer feeling uncomfortable. She just needs that orgasm so damn bad. So, I get the voyeur thing too. But she clearly wasn’t into that. she, and this is important, just doesn’t want to say no. It didn’t feel like pushing boundaries or a little discomfort. It felt like humiliation. At this point, the president so clearly knows VEEP is the only other man to touch his little princess, and when VEEP attempts to leave, because it’s hard to watch this…the presidents forces him to jack off before leaving. AGAIN, this didn’t feel like OMG we must do this so much as hey, the president is an emotionally abusive and twisted jackass who is just controlling (NOT dominating) two people he cares for. one of which doesn’t have a safe word and has already said no Am I still reading this? Yes, yes I am…why? I’m not sure anymore.

-I won’t even share why I had to gag in my own mouth, but I will share: “I’d still stay. I’d endure anything to stay. But I don’t see this as the worst of you. These sins are the sins of a good man, not the sins of a cursed one.” uhhh. Endure anything to stay, eh? greer, we need to chat.
-commence with the triad. So, if you’re still with me. greer loves Ash and Embry, yes still. Ash loves Greer and has now even proposed to her. Ash and Embry are caught making out under the mistletoe, -

-which brings us this line: “Is a kiss cheating?” Yes, Greer, yes it is. And the scene sounds like groping too. Whether you forgive it or not is your deal. But cheating. Yes.

-Greer is also gets assaulted/felt up by some Ukranian leader. She notes that this is a difference between dominance and assault. well, duh. But also, if you think that the first menage scene was anything but weaponized sex, I’m not sure what to do. During the scene at the gala, ash proves he's a jackass once again by mentioning to Embry that Greer is sans underwear.

-Embry now admits he loves Greer AND Ash, and doesn’t think Ash loves him. There’s faulty logic here though, because upon being confronted Ash drops the bomb that he proposed to Embry not once, but twice.

-So basically they both, or all three of them carry a torch for the same set of people for TEN years. Without some of my major issues I’d be cheering these 3 on! Sounds perfect!! If only the founding relationships (other than Ash/Embry) were believable to me. Take away some of the major stumbling blocks (and I’d say some major, some other minor violations not aforementioned) and I think this a great unconventional love story.

It ends on a cliffhanger, but it’s unrelated to most of the review here. It’s a pretty dumb one.

Will I read the second one?? TBD. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |

I was looking forward to exploring this proposed relationship inspired by perhaps the greatest love triangle of all time. I mean, why not do it as a menage?

But I was a little disappointed that the Greer's connection to each boy was so insta-love. The idea that they each pined for years over someone they met for a couple of hours was a stretch for me. If it was something that had happened more organically (like they were all friends before the war) then I'd get it more.

Greer was also a little wish washy for me. I'm hoping for better character development in the future.

Regardless, the Arthurian Legend fan in me loved making all the little connections along the way.

Full Review: https://wp.me/p7hLUw-35x
Actual Rating: 3/5 ( )
  seriesousbooks | Apr 24, 2020 |
*May Contain Spoilers*

So American Queen is the first book in the Camelot Trilogy by Sierra Simone. Now for quite a while, I have seen so many book reviewers and bloggers RAVE about this trilogy and to be honest its the “menage” aspect of the story that kinda put me off. Now that I have a problem with reading menage, but I have only read a couple of good ones out there, and the rest I have tried weren’t the greatest. So I was a bit nervous about this trilogy but now after finishing book one, which I couldn’t put down, but dang this book was SO good. One of the best books of the year. Now I do want to put out first that there is some kink in this book (mostly though evidence of d/s and some spanking, its not super intense like other BDSM relationships) Those familiar with Sierra Simone’s writing style and enjoy it will get a kick out of this. I, personally, am not a full judge of her writing since this is only my second book from her, however, I am in LOVE with her writing style and in my opinion, this is her BEST book she has written. I have never read a menage that had such a well-balanced feel to it and this is only book one (in books two and three we get it from the other two players in the story in their own POV—super stoked for that) Now I do want to mention that this book is HOT….one of the steamiest love stories I have EVER read, so make sure when reading this grab your partner because yeah you will need him or her!! 🙂

American Queen is a 1st POV in our heroine’s perspective, Greer Galloway. Greer, ever since she was little growing up with her grandfather who was the Vice President of the United States. She grew up going to all sorts of functions and being surrounded by senators, supreme court judges and some of the most powerful leaders in the world. She was her grandfather’s spy, learning the facial expressions and the body movements and the talking that most people did in secret but never paid attention to Greer as she was “too young to understand” but Greer has always learned to be intelligent since she was young. When she was sixteen years old, she meets her “king” a man who gives her, the first kiss and a man she sees inside the depths of him, which sealed her fate. But then her “king” disappeared, fighting in war and becoming a war hero and eventually marrying another woman and becoming President of the United States. But there was another man she gave another first to, Embry, a beautiful sensual night of pain and pleasure and where she gave another aspect of her heart to and one where it became broken when he also disappeared out of her lie until the present. Embry is now the Vice President and best friend to Maxen Ashley Colchester, also known as Ash.

“I know you’ve stayed away from this world for a reason. I know it might be asking a lot of you.”

He looks up from where he’s touching me to meet my eyes.

“But I don’t just want you at my feet. I want you by my side.”

He comes to Greer in convincing her to meet with Ash. At first, Greer doesn’t seek that. She is content with her life as a teacher and writing her book. But there is a part of her that desires more and so she meets with Ash and before she realizes it she is becoming his wife and loving two men and both of those men loving each other and loving her desperately….but how does this fairy tale find its happily ever after??

We know what happens when two people fall in love. It’s happened between each of us. We have to find out what happens when three people fall in love. All together, all at once.

I truly adored everything about this book, and even though I am NOT a fan of flashbacks (anyone who knows my reading tastes will know this about me) but seriously I didn’t struggle with them at all. In fact, I grew to crave these flashbacks and seeing the depths of the relationships that come into play into this story, this adored fairy tale that deserves its own happy ending. Most know of the tale surrounding Camelot and the menage love story that didn’t get a happy ever after, but in this trilogy we see our triple love story find its way there although it’s slow and doesn’t happen instantly. The author here wanted to give Camelot’s love story their own happy ending and I am so thrilled that Sierra Simone took her creative pen and wrote this epic love tale and one of the best love stories that I have ever read. (which those who follow me know exactly how many books I have read and its a lot)

If you can’t accept that, then say my name right now and we will step back and renogotiate our relationship. But if you are willing to submit to the fact that I will move fucking heaven and earth to keep you from harm, then say yes Sir

This love story between Ash, Greer and Embry is so beautifully penned and I was hooked from the very beginning: from that moment when Greer first meets Merlin, to when she has her moment with the glass with Ash, to the sensual night with Embry to when they are all back together. In this book its not revealed when Ash learns the truth about Embry and Greer being together and loving each other. But we do know that he knows about it by the time that Ash goes back for Greer. And another side note, Ash and Embry have their own love story, but Embry has caused his own hurt and pushed away Ash in his ways and his own pain that I am sure we learn in “American Prince”. We see the pain between all three parties here” Ash, Greer, Embry have a painful road ahead of them. Trying to find a way to be together while keeping it a secret from the whole world. I was so involved with their love story, and the EMOTION was so well written and really stuns the reader and I tell you I was expecting a steamy romance but I wasn’t expecting all the FEELS that I become addicted to in this story and I can’t wait to see what is in store for all three of them and seeing them find their way to their happy ever after!!

The one thing I want most in the world—to marry Ash—and the one thing I want least in the world—to be seperated from Embry

Overall American Queen is an all consuming majestic love story that transcends time and space, a fairy tale of sacrifice, pain, loss and what is at the heart of them all….A TRUE LOVE MORE PRECIOUS THAN GOLD ( )
  addictofromance | Apr 28, 2019 |

It starts with a stolen kiss under an English sky, and it ends with a walk down the aisle. It starts with the President sending his best friend to woo me on his behalf, and it ends with my heart split in two. It starts with buried secrets and dangerous desires…and ends with the three of us bound together with a hateful love sharper than any barbed wire.

This is the story of an American Queen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,463,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible