A History of Britain in 21 Women: A Personal…

A History of Britain in 21 Women: A Personal Selection (original 2016; edition 2017)

by Jenni Murray (Author)

Member:Karenjo
Title:A History of Britain in 21 Women: A Personal Selection
Authors:Jenni Murray (Author)
Info:Oneworld Publications (2017), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages
Collections:History, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:british history

A History of Britain in 21 Women: A Personal Selection by Jenni Murray (2016)

I'm giving this book one star because of finding direct quotes that are not marked as such. I would have gotten a fail on any paper I had written if the teacher/professor had found it, and I think authors writing for young people ought to be held to the same standard.

For example, the description of the place setting for Caroline Herschel in The Dinner Party is word for word the same as on the Brooklyn Museum website. Whether or not a copyright infringement is involved, it should have been credited.

I also find it very irritating that the author spends so much of each chapter on her own history and feelings instead of concentrating on the woman she is supposed to be writing about. This gets worse as the period moves into times the author experienced herself. Even without the plagerism I wouldn't give it more than two stars. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Feb 19, 2018 |
This is a great idea. Jenni Murray takes 21 women who have shaped Britain and who have, in some way, inspired her in her life and gives a short biography of their life, what they achieved and sometimes an explanation of their impact on her life or why she picked them. Some of the people selected are certainly inspiring. It is clearly a personal selection, and that's where I feel it is weakened. The selection includes a range of pioneers in various areas, scientist, doctor, nurse, artist, composer, fashion designer, a couple of rulers, & mathematicians and 4 authors. The balance of the book is 5 politicians and 2 suffragettes/suffragists, which seems to throw the book out of balance. I accept that Jenni is a journalist and has always been a more political animal than I ever will be, but it did weight the book very heavily.

For me, the selection reduced the rating, as it was the weighting towards women in the one area that reduced, to me, its power. Each short chapter is very good on their own, it is the way the whole works together that I felt didn't work entirely for me. ( )
  Helenliz | Jan 26, 2018 |

Jenni Murrayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Murray, JenniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
" In an anti-male era, it's important to remember that men built the planes, fought the wars, laid the railroad tracks, invented the cars, built the hospitals, invented the medicines and sailed the ships that made it all happen.
Steve Biddulph "Raising Boys".
"Rubbish!" Jenni Murray
For all the young people who need to know
It was Thomas Carlyle, circa 1840, who said, "The history of the world is but the biography of great men", and, as a girl growing up in the 1950s and '60s, his philosophy was pretty much what I was taught and what I believed

The history of Britain, presented as you've never seen it before, through twenty-one women whose lives enthral and beguile, intrigue and inspire

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,134,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible