Batman Vol. 1: I Am Gotham (Rebirth) by Tom…

Batman Vol. 1: I Am Gotham (Rebirth) (edition 2017)

by Tom King (Author), David Finch (Illustrator), Mikel Janin (Illustrator)

Series: DC Rebirth

Member:brianjungwi
Title:Batman Vol. 1: I Am Gotham (Rebirth)
Authors:Tom King (Author)
Other authors:David Finch (Illustrator), Mikel Janin (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2017), 192 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, graphic novel, batman

Batman, Vol. 1: I Am Gotham by Tom King

I recieved this from Netgalley and DC Comics in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This was a okay title. The story itself was hard to follow at times. Gotham and Gotham Girl's story is a bit cheesy and is a bit vague in places. The villians I enjoyed to a certain extent. I would recommend it for those hardcore Batman fans, but more casual readers such as myself may find it confusing. ( )
  Arkrayder | Apr 13, 2017 |
I wasn't thrilled when Rebirth was announced. I'm honestly tired of DC and Marvel "relaunching" every few years. It seems as soon as I get invested in characters, they change. I decided to try Green Arrow: Rebirth because I'd never read the title before. And I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed several of the Batman titles under the New 52, so I figured he'd be a good test of Rebirth for familiar characters. It didn't blow me away.

One of the problems with many solo titles is the elephant in the room of "why not call in the Justice League"? That's never been a real problem for Batman - he doesn't want their help because it's his city, his responsibility - and his rogues gallery all fall within his skills to overcome. So, Gotham and Gotham Girl present a bigger challenge since they have powers like Superman. They're decent characters who seem to exist just so Batman can be reminded of the tragedy that created him. Again. Further, I felt like he trusted them way too quickly (despite a witty joke about him trusting Alfred). The action scenes are the strongest part of the story, followed by his conversations with Alfred and Duke. But, the rest fell a little flat.

Overall, I think this book suffers from trying to reboot a character who doesn't need it. The book ends with a hook that just wasn't strong enough to pull me in. I think I'll go back for one of the Batman lines from New 52 that I didn't get to, rather than continue with Rebirth. ( )
  jshillingford | Feb 23, 2017 |
Batman Rebirth. Even after reading this TPB I'm not sure what they plan to do with the Batman and Bat family, but this was an intriguing start to whatever is going to happen.

Hugo Strange is back, as is a Monster Men storyline. There's a little bit of Waller, some Duke Thomas, and a couple of newbie protectors of Gotham with mysterious pasts.

I think my favorite part of the TPB was the back and forth between Alfred and Bruce. I generally like better the TPBs where they have a banter-y sort of relationship with caring underneath, and this one had a ton of (sometimes hilarious) banter in it.

I was given this galley through Netgalley on behalf of DC Entertainment. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jan 17, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,802,282 books! | Top bar: Always visible