The Trumpet of the Swan (1970)

by E B White

Knowing how to read and write is not enough for Louis, a voiceless Trumpeter Swan; his determination to learn to play a stolen trumpet takes him far from his wilderness home.

maybe it's not fair to read this anywhere near the same vicinity as when i read charlotte's web because it's possible i had higher expectations when i opened the book than i otherwise would have. but this was just not that good. there are issues of race that don't hold up (i had to change some words a number of times as i was reading aloud to my son) and in general it just wasn't a very enjoyable read. there are parts that shine, for sure, but generally this just didn't work for me. ( )
  overlycriticalelisa | Nov 26, 2021 |
  chell3 | Oct 29, 2021 |
I feel that there are little lessons in American values in White's children's books.

A boy named Applegate Skinner stood up.
"Mr. Brickle," he said, "what about me? I don't care for birds. I never liked birds."
"O.K., Applegate," said Mr. Brickle. "You don't have to like birds. If that is the way you feel about it, just go ahead not-liking birds. Everyone is entitled to his likes and dislikes and to his prejudices. Come to think of it, I don't care for pistachio ice cream. I don't know why I don't like it, but I don't. Do not forget, however, that Louis is one of your counselors. Whether you like him or not, he must be treated with respect."

...later Louis saves Skinner from drowning.

Applegate thought hard for a moment. "Well," he said, "I'm grateful to Louis for saving my life. But I still don't like birds."
"Really?" said Mr. Brickle. "That's quite remarkable. Even though a bird saved you from drowning, you don't care for birds? What have you got against birds?"
"Nothing," replied Applegate. "I have nothing against them. I just don't care for them."
"Really?" said Mr. Brickle. "I guess we'll just have to leave it at that. But the camp is proud of Louis. He is our most distinguished counselor--a great trumpet player, a great bird, a powerful swimmer, and a fine friend. He deserves a medal. In fact, I intend to write a letter recommending that he be given a Lifesaving medal." ( )
  auldhouse | Sep 30, 2021 |

E B Whiteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frascino, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Merling, JennyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walking back to camp through the swamp, Sam wondered whether to tell his father what he had seen.

Louis is a trumpeter swan. He is born one summer on a little pond in Canada, along with four brothers and sisters. But Louis has a terrible problem. Unlike the rest of his joyfully noisy family, Louis can't make a single sound. And without a trumpet sound, his true love - the beautiful swan Serena - just ignores him. Louis's father promises to help. So does Sam Beaver, a boy who loves all wild animals. First Louis goes to school with Sam and learns to read and write. But swans can't read, so Louis still can't make himself understood. That's when Louis's father puts his honor aside and steals a brass trumpet to give his son a voice. Louis's determination to pay off his father's debt and to woo his own true love takes him far from the wilderness he loves, but his faith and his joy in life are always with him.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,477,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible