The power of positive thinking by Norman…

The power of positive thinking (original 1952; edition 1956)

by Norman Vincent Peale

Dr. Peale shares his formula for positive thinking and success.
Member:Mike.Hill
Title:The power of positive thinking
Authors:Norman Vincent Peale
Info:Norwalk, CT : The C.R. Gibson Company, 1956.

The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale (1952)

Fuck Feelings by Michael Bennett (djryan)
    djryan: Something more useful than a fake god.
    The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (djryan)
    djryan: Why this book is impossibly useless.

As the entire world grapples with Covid 19, and the United States seems to be falling apart with massive cultural conflict, it seems a good time to read an inspirational book.

"The Power of Positive Thinking" is not a trendy new manual of ideas on how to resolve the countries problems, but focuses on the individual’s ability to bring more joy to everyday life and create inner peace and serenity. Enjoy success, contentment, and happiness all through the old-fashioned proven method of having faith in God and faith in yourself.

Norman Vincent Peale’s concept is based on tapping your own inner resources. Beginning with a chapter on believing in yourself – followed by chapters on how to have constant energy, how to create happiness, how to overcome fuming, fretting, and constant worry, and how to solve problems. Each chapter gives examples of true stories: a business man who feels like a failure, a guy who can’t seem to make friends, a heavy drinker who sees no future for himself, a lonely older woman who feels worthless with no purpose in life… all found positive results and solace in the power of positive thinking. And each chapter ends with a small list of beneficial tips to help achieve the desired results.

Norman Vincent Peale was a respected minister for over thirty years, however when first published his book was controversial in psychiatric circles as many doctors claimed the suggestions Peale makes are dangerous and unrealistic. Peale’s response was that of course you can’t just wish and pray your way into success. He strongly believed in self-analysis, forgiveness, character development, and growth. The bottom line is if you think you can’t do something - you never will, and if you persevere and have determination and a good attitude, with the proper skills, planning, training, and dedication you can succeed.

It’s all about tapping your own “God given” inner powers. Of course, atheists may find the content of this book slightly preposterous.

On finding happiness Peale says “Keep your heart free of hate, your mind free of worry. Live simply, expect little, give much. Fill your life with love. Scatter sunshine. Forget self, think of others. Do as you would be done by. Try this for a week and you will be surprised”. It reminds me of the saying “it is better to go through life as an optimist thinking your “glass is half full” than to go through life as a pessimist thinking your glass is half empty. I’m a half full kind of person, and I still found some useful tips in this book. Everyone can always use a little more love, and sunshine. ( )
  LadyLo | Aug 9, 2020 |
Writing: 5.0; Theme: 5.0; Content: 4.5; Language: 5.0; Overall: 4.0; I believe this is the first book by Dr. Peale that I have read. I love his writing style. He writes in a very conversational tone with interesting anecdotal stories throughout. He certainly shares a very positive message with many Bible verses (KJV). My biggest problem with Peale's writing is that he didn't take a strong stand for Jesus Christ being the only hope of salvation. He shares the message of Christ, but with a very watered-down concept. I have read in other places that while Dr. Peale believes that the individual's only hope in this life and the life to come is a relationship with Christ, he doesn't completely share that message in the writing in this tome. He also has stated that he believed that God wanted him to share a more positive message rather than one that stressed sin and hell. I don't believe you can fully share the message of Christ without dealing with sin, repentance, and faith in Christ alone. This I don't believe Dr. Peale accomplished. Recommend with the above caution. ***September 7, 2019*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | Sep 28, 2019 |
Norman Vincent Peale vous propose des méthodes simples et efficaces afin de réussir pleinement votre vie. Ce livre va révolutionner votre vie. Il prouve par son enseignement et ses exemples que nul n'est voué à l'échec. En effet, chacun peut, s'il le désire, répondre à ses aspirations profondes et avoir enfin une vie remplie de joie et de satisfactions. L'auteur le prouve clairement en proposant de mettre en pratique des principes éprouvés, garants d'une expérience réussie.
  Haijavivi | Jun 7, 2019 |
This classic which was copyrighted in 1952 according to the edition I borrowed from the library is still extremely popular; I wasn’t allowed to renew the book since several potential readers were queuing up for it.

The author provides us with techniques by which we can improve our lives, together with case histories of those who have been helped.

Rev. Peale apparently travelled around the country (USA) holding talks and so on and constantly met up with people who told him their success stories by using his methods.

His favourite affirmation, which is from Philippians 4:13, is “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Not being a keen Bible reader myself, I find this archaic language challenging (and my computer programme Word objects to it too, but I understood it to mean “Through Christ I can do everything that strengthens me.”

Peale advises those who feel they lack power and confidence to repeat the sentence several times after getting into bed at night and then three times in the morning before getting up. This should be done with an attitude of faith.

One man reported that this formula did wonders for him.

The author quotes the psychiatrist Dr Karl Menninger as saying “Attitudes are more important than facts.” He also quotes Emerson as stating “They conquer who believe they can.”

We are given many valuable precepts to follow, for example:

1) Form a mental picture of yourself as succeeding.
2) Whenever a negative thought concerning your personal powers comes to mind, deliberately voice a positive thought to cancel it out.
3) Ten times a day repeat “If God be for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31)
4) Put yourself in God’s hands. Simply state “I am in God’s hands.” Then believe you are NOW receiving all the power you need. Feel it flowing into you.
Practice emptying your mind of fears, hates, insecurities and guilt feelings. Do this at least twice a day. This will give you relief.

Practice thinking peaceful thoughts, focusing on words such as “tranquillity” and “serenity”.

One of the author’s main pieces of advice is to start to read the Bible.

He also recommends “a daily practice of silence”, at least 15 minutes of absolute quiet every twenty-four hours. He quotes Thomas Carlyle as stating “Silence is the element in which great things fashion themselves”.

He gives us a chapter about how to have constant energy and one about trying “prayer power”.

Some negative aspects of the book were as follows:

1) At one point Peale rails against communism. “No one has more contempt for communism than I have”. What has that to do with anything?
2) Though most of Peale’s clients seem to have been women (nothing has changed there), he addresses the readers as though they’re all men, sometimes advising us to say affirmations or the like while gazing into the mirror in the morning while shaving.

I realize that this latter characteristic of the author’s writing was a sign of the times. Everyone was presumed to be male, males after all being the absolutely more important gender (Satire!)

Other outdated uses of words were the continual reference to “fine” meaning “good” persons. Catherine Ponder uses this word frequently too. There are also many “gay” people” though the meaning here is the original one, not the one we nowadays attribute to the word.

But, to sum up, the book, though markedly dated (and it can’t help that) is well-written, inspiring and filled with effective life-improving spiritual techniques. ( )
  IonaS | Mar 31, 2019 |
Although he’s old-fashioned in some ways, he leads in with Believe In Yourself, which must have been what he thought his contemporaries most lacked and needed to hear.

........................

Near the end he quotes a woman who said, “Dear kind God, keep my mind clear and give me peace”, which could almost have been written with my condition in mind.
  smallself | Aug 17, 2018 |
To my brothers
Robert Clifford Peale, M.D.
and
The Reverend Leonard Delaney Peale
Effective Helpers of Mankind
BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!

Dr. Peale shares his formula for positive thinking and success.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,775,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible