Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons Series)…

Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons Series) (edition 2017)

by Leigh Bardugo (Author)

Series: DC Icons (1)

1,0205815,342 (3.85)19
"Diana, Princess of the Amazons, journeys to the World of Man in this coming-of-age young adult story"--
Member:MaryKirkpatrick
Title:Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons Series)
Authors:Leigh Bardugo (Author)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2017), 384 pages

Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo

English (55)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (57)
Leigh Bardugo has written some quality books, but I have to agree with most of my GR friends that this one fell short. Diana is trying to find her mettle, but she is daughter to the Queen of the Amazons and has an inferiority complex. Then she rescues Alia, who has some similar traits. The Oracle tells them that Alia (Warbringer) must get to Helen of Troy's resting place (or die) by a certain date to stop the vicious cycle of escalating hostilities leading to war. I liked the Greek mythology, Diana's naivety in the modern world and the friendships between Diana, Nim, and Alia. However, I was disappointed in most of the other characters, especially the male ones, and the plot was a little flat too. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Leigh Bardugo is queen. Honestly. In one paragraph I was next to tears while the next one had me laughing without control. The dialogue was witty, realistic, and enjoyable. She described emotions and places better than a film can. I wanted to throw this book away and give it a hug at the same time. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |
Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo is the first of the DC Icons novels.

Plot:
Diana would like the chance to prove herself to the other Amazons and finally the day seems to have come when there is a big competition. But during the competition, Diana stumbles upon a girl who washed up on the shore of their island. Going against all rules, she offers the girl – Alia – refuge. But Alia is not just any girl, she is a Warbringer, and with Diana’s rescue, Diana may just have doomed the world.

Wonder Woman: Warbringer is a good read but didn’t win me over completely. There were a couple of things that just didn’t work for me, but overall, I did like it.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2019/04/05/wonder-woman-warbringer-leigh-bardugo/ ( )
  kalafudra | Mar 6, 2021 |
Bardugo's version of Wonder Woman works nicely with the DC movie which I love so I quite enjoyed this book. It had a bit of a slow start with Diana fretting about the burdens of being the princess and not quite an Amazon. But over all there was a fair amount of action, some nice fish out of water humor, and interesting diverse characters. It also had a lot of Greek Mythology woven in. Sort of a female Percy Jackson. ( )
  Sarah220 | Jan 23, 2021 |
DC Icons ; 1
Pretty much everyone is familiar with Wonder Woman, right? Diana Princess of Themyscira, amazon and superhero. Well, count me as one of those who is familiar with the name, but I know nothing really about the mythology surrounding the character. I watched, and loved, the recent film. It was awesome. And I know I watched some of the old tv episodes, but that is the extent of my knowledge. But if you are in the same boat then this is the book for you. Because this is a brand new origin story for Diana. Here she is a teenager, out to prove herself as worthy of her place among her amazon sisters and mother, constantly having to face the fact that she never earned her life on Themyscira and wondering does she really deserve her life?
And into the mix comes Alia Keralis, bringing discord and destruction with her, for Alia is a Warbringer. A descendant of Helen of Troy, and having inherited her warbringer blood, her presence is enough to cause people to bicker and fights to break out, and if Alia lives to be seventeen then she will usher in an age of warfare and horror.
But maybe Diana can help Alia prevent this from happening, although in doing so she will be breaking the laws of Themyscira, risking exile at least, and possible death.
I wasn't too sure about this book when I first started reading it. Having it set in the modern day threw me a little, maybe I was expecting it to fit in with the film timeline... Also, I'm not to sure about Diana's relationship with the other amazons, especially her mother. Part of me understands why the relationship here is a distant one, but it did feel the same as the film, and I loved the Amazon society of the film. Still, those are issues I brought to the book, not problems inherent in the story itself.
Once I got into the story though they no longer bothered me and I was able to enjoy the story of Diana finding out just what a hero she is, and whether or not she is really worthy of being called an Amazon. It is a coming of age story for her in a way, or at least, of her finding her feet.
I've never read any of Bardugo's other works, but she seems to be quite popular, and they look like the sort of book I'd be interested in reading, so maybe I'll find the time to investigate them. Warbringer is a solid read, entertaining and enjoyable, but it isn't one that'd make me want to devour all by the author. However I have read that her own books are very different, and it cannot be easy to take a character like Diana and remake her anew.
  Fence | Jan 5, 2021 |

Leigh Bardugoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marston, William MoultonCreatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Galić, AnjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
JaceyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marnò, MozhanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roman, MarionTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“Draw nigh, come through the press to grips with me, so shall ye learn what might wells up in breasts of Amazons. With my blood is mingled war!”
—Quintus Smyrnaeus, The Fall of Troy
To Joanna Volpe—
sister in battle
You do not enter a race to lose.
This is the novel. Please do not combine with the graphic novel of the same name.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,397,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible