The Lying Game: A Novel by Ruth Ware

The Lying Game: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Ruth Ware (Author)

On a cool June morning, Isa Wilde, a resident of the seemingly idyllic coastal village of Salten, is walking her dog along a tidal estuary. Before she can stop him, Isa's dog charges into the water to retrieve what first appears to be a wayward stick, but to her horror, she discovers it's not a stick at all but a human bone. As her three best friends from childhood converge in Salten to comfort a seriously shaken-up Isa, terrifying discoveries are made, and their collective history slowly unravels.… (more)
Member:KristenY
Title:The Lying Game: A Novel
Authors:Ruth Ware (Author)
Info:Gallery/Scout Press (2017), Edition: Reprint, 391 pages

Work Information

The Lying Game by Ruth Ware

The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths (MissBrangwen)
    MissBrangwen: The settings of these novels are similar (vast and desolate beaches, marshes and tidal flats), only that "The Crossing Places" is a much better novel in my opinion, while in "The Lying Game", the setting was one of the few aspects I enjoyed at all.

English (89)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (91)
Unfortunately, this novel was a disappointment to me. The premise sounds interesting: Four women, who were best friends at boarding school, gather years later because one of them sends a particular text message. Apparently they were an unpopular and even feared group back then, because they were lying and spinning elaborate stories, trying to convince other people that they were true and doing harm in the process. Of course, there is a very dark secret that is about to come out now and putting them in danger.
What I liked about this story was the setting. It is similar to the setting of the Ruth Galloway novels: A lonely, wooden house on a wide, tidal beach. I loved the descriptions of this. I also enjoyed the writing style, and yes, I did find it gripping and kept guessing until the end.
Apart from that, though, there was not much that I liked. I only warmed to one of the four main characters - Fatima, a Muslim doctor who has become more religious in recent years and constantly receives comments regarding her hijab and her choice not to drink alcohol. To me, she is the only character in the novel who sees clearly and who suggests sensible and constructive ideas on how to deal with the situation.
The worst character to me is the narrator, who is unsufferable, because of her stupid actions, her inconsistencies, and how terrible she treats her boyfriend. The addition of her baby to the novel is not a win and just made it more repetitive (because of course the baby cries, needs attention and is another stake in dangerous situations - every time).
While I liked the plot in the beginning, I did not enjoy how it developed. Maybe I am also getting a little tired of thrillers about dark secrets and events from someone's childhood.
I will still seek out other novels by Ruth Ware because as said above, I like her style, but this one is not her best. ( )
  MissBrangwen | Aug 17, 2022 |
This is my least favorite mystery by Ruth Ware so far. It follows a group of 4 women who were friends at boarding school in their youth, and it slowly reveals the truth of what really happened to the father of one girl (also an art teacher at the school) after he went missing during their time at school.

I found it predictable and not that suspenseful. ( )
  japaul22 | Jul 30, 2022 |
I normally like Ware's books. This one proved a challenge because of the main character.

Isa displays a stunning lack of self awareness through the entire book. She's also one of those annoying parents. I usually enjoy reading a story from a flawed POV. It's interesting. Reading one from a stupid, annoying POV not so much.

The saving grace were the other women. Thea, Fatima and Kate - All three were wonderful characters. ( )
  rabbit-stew | Jun 26, 2022 |
This was an ok book. I found myself comparing it to “In a Dark, Dark Wood”. I also do not understand why, if you have been with your partner for YEARS, you wouldn’t be honest about the story of your life. Maybe not all the gory details but at least the outline of who you were and who you want to be now ( )
  Sunandsand | Apr 30, 2022 |

Ruth Wareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kuusisto, TerhiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mogford, DanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To dear Hel, with (seventy?) lots of love.
The Reach is wide and quiet this morning, the pale blue sky streaked with pink mackerel-belly clouds, the shallow sea barely rippling in the slight breeze, and so the sound of the dog barking breaks into the calm like gunshots, setting flocks of gulls crying and wheeling in the air.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,536,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible