Emotions, can you trust them? by James C.…

Emotions, can you trust them? (edition 1980)

by James C. Dobson

Ernest Poole's bestselling, muckraking classic about the plight of the worker. The best-known novel by the winner of the first Pulitzer Prize for fiction, Ernet Poole's The Harbor was published in 1915 to instant acclaim and remains his most important book. At the heart of the story is Billy, an aspiring writer who struggles to reconcile his sympathy for workers with his middle-class allegiance to capitalist progress. As Billy comes of age on the New York waterfront, an eyewitness to explosive tensions between labor and capital that culminate in a violent strike, he learns to embrace socialism as the solution to the harbor's seething injustices. This novel, one of the most direct literary treatments of class warfare, is a valuable social history and a powerful testament to Poole's legendary talent.… (more)
Member:Mike.Hill
Title:Emotions, can you trust them?
Authors:James C. Dobson
Info:Ventura, Calif. : GL Regal Books, c1980.

Emotions Can You Trust Them? by James Dobson

This book is divided into three main parts: guilt, romantic love and anger.

The author distinguishes true guilt from false guilt, and gives advice which is is realistic and practical. The section on romantic love would be helpful to anyone starting a new relationship. He believes in Christian principles which may seem outdated to modern young people, but the points he makes are nonetheless relevant.

The third section, on anger, looks at when anger is appropriate, and how we can act on it without harm. There are Bible quotations to back up the author’s points, and an encouragement to take steps towards conquering a bad temper.

Then there's a final section about determining God’s will. Dobson warns against blindly trusting in intuition, which should always be tested by Scriptural principles, by reason and also by what we might call ‘providence’.

On the whole, I thought the book was fairly wise, if a bit wordy here and there. It was rather spoiled by the various discussion questions which were at the end of each chapter.

I don’t know that modern readers would find this particularly useful as there are many books on similar topics, but it's now available in Kindle form. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
c.1
  rvc | Jan 25, 2011 |
Dr. James Dobson helps us understand and control our emotions. Love, anger, guilt and the impressions we experience are emotions that can be a very positive force in our lives if we learn to recognize and control them.
  BethanyBible | Jan 16, 2010 |
The answer is: No.
Written while Dr. Dobson was still an associate clinical professor at the USC Med School.
Covers the emotions of love, anger, guilt and "impressions. Gives guidelines and advice on understanding, controlling and channeling our emotions.
This book was very enlightening to me. I suppose I should have realized that my emotions needed to be accountable to my will and reason. The Q & A format is adaptable to personal or group study.

Wish I'd had it when I was a know-it-all teen. ( )
  jeaneva | Jun 16, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,481,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible