Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Pipe Dreams

by Sarina Bowen

Series: Brooklyn Bruisers (3)

"Mike Beacon is a champion at defending the net, but off the ice, he's not so lucky. A widower and a single father, he's never forgotten Lauren Williams, the ex who gave him the best year of his life. When Lauren reappears in the Bruisers' office during the play-offs, Beacon sees his chance to make things right. Lauren hates that she's forced to travel with the team she used to work for and the man who broke her heart. There's still undeniable sexual tension running between her and Mike, but she won't go down that road again. She's focused on her plans for the future--she doesn't need a man to make her dreams of motherhood come true. Lauren plays her best defensive game, but she's no match for the dark-eyed goalie. When the field of play moves to Florida, things heat up on the beach. One of Mike's biggest fans doesn't approve--his teenage daughter. But a true competitor knows not to waste the perfect shot at love." -- Page [4] cover.… (more)

More like 3.5 stars. There's some gender stuff that I'm not super-fond of, and more boundary-pushing by the love interest than I like to see. (It doesn't help that I'm more invested in the secondary relationship than the primary one.) Also, the hockey plot absolutely fizzles out. I like a little more hockey in my hockey novels. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
3.5 So, according to the...err...data among my friends, I'm a bit of an outlier here.

I thoroughly enjoyed this second chance. It was a total mess of a real life-type second chance. None of the characters were perfect, and the story itself was crafted well enough to wrap around me like a hug. It's isn't the best romance, but in terms of Bowen, this hits a higher note on my scale.

The solidly mature hero, who made a huge mistake, but was open, honest and loving was a huge selling point. The prickly heroine who had a heart of gold and worked her ass off wasn't too shabby either.

Sure, a couple of points pissed me off. And yes, at times I felt Mike was out-of-bounds in his pursuit. Just like I felt Lauren looked a bit unreasonably reluctant. What do I like though?
Lauren makes friends. Yay for gal pals
Lauren and Mike are reasonably open and adult with each other
There was no malicious feelings toward the "others" in their complicated relationship. And each person seemed to own up to their failures and take responsibility.
I really did feel for Lauren; her hurt was deep and didn't just disappear upon further explanation.
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |

Pipe Dreams is the story of the prickly, snooty administrative assistant to Nate, Lauren. She is NOT well liked and I wasn't sure her story would be welcome. But, I should have trusted Sarina Bowen. My heart BROKE for Lauren.

Lauren and Mike (the goalie for the Bruisers) were in love. He had just gotten divorced from his wife though and Lauren was concerned people would talk. That didn't stop them though because they really were in love. And for a year or so, things were amazing. Then Mike bails on her, goes back to his wife, and everyone whispers that 'the husband stealing hussy got what was coming to her'. Lauren is heartbroken and develops a wall around herself that pushes everyone away.

Pipe Dreams is a mix of flashbacks to the time when Lauren and Mike were in love and present time, where Lauren has done everything in her power to have NOTHING to do with the Bruisers, even though her boss owns the team. I loved getting to see a different side of Lauren. I loved seeing her open up to Georgia and Ari and Becca because she realizes how snooty she has been and that these ladies, new to the organization, have no idea why she hates the team. And, of course, Georgia, Ari, and Becca welcome her, listen, and support her. Developing female friendships in books is so important because so often women are portrayed as catty, vindictive, and conniving. I love when a group of women come together and don't play into the cat and mouse games.

Mike's story is heartbreaking. First, he knocks up his girlfriend at 19, they get married and he is off playing hockey all the time, his wife leaves him, then she gets sick and he has to step up for the sake of their daughter forgoing his own happiness for the sake of his family. He has a great deal of guilt over his ex-wife, Shelly. He feels he ruined her life by getting her pregnant at 19. She had to abandon her plans of college and become a stay at home mom and a hockey wife. Mike was gone all the time so she was lonely as well. As a reader, you can see the impossibility of his situation and can understand why he made the choice he did. However, I was still irritated at the WAY he did it and how much it crushed Lauren. He looks like Saint Mike and she looks like a wife stealing whore. Its certainly what Mike's teenage daughter thinks too!

Lauren is forced by her boss to take a more active role with the Bruisers and this forces her to have to see Mike all the time. It rips her heart apart daily. The only way she survived all this was to shut Mike totally out of her life and focus on everything else. I expected to not love Lauren based on the previous books, but I adore her! I struggled a bit more with Mike. I, like Lauren, just wasn't sure. I don't know that I could ever trust him again. I'm not sure I could forget that kind of pain. Because I loved Lauren so much, I wanted to protect her from everything. I wanted to be there to step between her and Mike and act as a buffer for her so she didn't get hurt any more. Do you see how much I loved her?!?!? I went all mama bear whenever Mike came around. But, Mike is excellent at redemption. I mean, the man has MOVES.

Pipe dreams is a second chance romance that is filled with pain, regret, and sorrow. It shredded my heart and I loved every minute of it!

Note: If Becca and Nate's book isn't next, I might go crazy!! I need it!

• POV: 3rd

• Tears: no

• Trope: second chance

• Triggers: no

• Series/Standalone: stand alone within an interconnected series

• Cliffhanger: no

• HEA: yes

The Hot Shot by Kristen Callihan, Hawke by Sawyer Bennett, Face Off at the Alter by Toni Aleo...then you will probably like Pipe Dreams!

Pipe Dreams

See full review on The Book Disciple ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
An OK book but not up to the standards of this series. I was ok with the second chance romance but then there was a another plot element thrown in that just ruined it for me. I won't go into it because it's a bit of a spoiler but it was just disappointing. ( )
  reesa00 | May 14, 2017 |
Sarina Bowen scores a hat trick with the third book from the Brooklyn Bruisers series, PIPE DREAMS. I love this series. PIPE DREAMS is goalie, Mike Beacon’s and Lauren Williams’ story. This contemporary sports romance takes place in New York. It is suitable for adult audiences.

The beginning of the novel overlaps with the previous book. Lauren is with her boss/team owner, Nate Kattenberger, in his private box watching the Bruisers in the play-offs. I loved hearing this story from her point of view. In the previous stories, Lauren comes off as cold. We find out why. It is totally understandable and nothing like her actual personality.

Sarina Bowen does a fabulous job with her character development. Lauren is a strong and astonishing heroine. She is hard working and determined. Her heart was broken by Mike, and she is uncomfortable when being forced to work for the team. Mike is an amazing guy and dad. He is caring, persistent, and protective. He could have handled his break-up with Lauren better, but under the circumstances, why he did it was admirable. I love that these two get a second chance. They clearly never got over one another. They are good together. He is a spontaneous action kind of guy to her analytical planning.

The plot was realistic and believable. I like how the story flashed back and forth in time. I like that Lauren gets to know the other females in the series better. There are many interesting things that happen in this story that keep it exciting. This is one of those books that is hard to put down. I read it in one day.

Nate seems to like to get involved with his staff and players’ personal lives. I love that Lauren, doesn’t let Nate intimidate her and does the same to him. I’m really looking forward to Becca’s and Nate’s story in the next book. I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book. ( )
  dlynch | May 2, 2017 |

Sarina Bowenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Engle, RockNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zanzarella, NicolNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,713,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible