Urban Enemies (2017)

by Joseph Nassise (Editor)

Other authors: Kelley Armstrong (Contributor), Jim Butcher (Contributor), Domino Finn (Contributor), Diana Pharaoh Francis (Contributor), Kevin Hearne (Contributor)12 more, Faith Hunter (Contributor), Caitlin Kittredge (Contributor), Jonathan Maberry (Contributor), Seanan McGuire (Contributor), Jon F. Merz (Contributor), Joseph Nassise (Contributor), Lilith Saintcrow (Contributor), Steven Savile (Contributor), Craig Schaefer (Contributor), Jeffrey Somers (Contributor), Carrie Vaughn (Contributor), Sam Witt (Contributor)

Series: Ustari Cycle (Nigsu Ga Tesgu), Pitchfork County (Everywhere), Black Magic Outlaw (The Difference Between Deceit And Delusion), Glass Town (Steven Savile) (Reel Life), Horngate Witches (Unexpected Choices), Lawson Vampire Series (Chase The Fire), Joe Ledger and Rogue Team International (Altar Boy), Joe Ledger (Altar Boy), The Templar Chronicles (Down Where The Darkness Dwells), Hellhound Chronicles (The Resurrectionist), Jill Kismet (Kiss), Daniel Faust (Sixty-Six Seconds), Harmony Black (Sixty-Six Seconds), Iron Druid Chronicles (The Naughtiest Cherub), Jane Yellowrock (Make It Snappy, 0.5), Kitty Norville (Bellum Romanum, 13.5), InCryptid (10.1, "Balance")

"Villains have all the fun--everyone knows that--and this anthology takes you on a wild ride through the dark side! The top villains from seventeen urban fantasy series get their own stories--including the baddies of New York Times bestselling authors Jim Butcher, Kevin Hearne, Kelley Armstrong, Seanan McGuire, and Jonathan Maberry. For every hero trying to save the world, there's a villain trying to tear it all down. In this can't-miss anthology edited by Joseph Nassise (The Templar Chronicles), you get to plot world domination with the best of the evildoers we love to hate! This outstanding collection brings you stories told from the villains' point of view, imparting a fresh and unique take on the evil masterminds, wicked witches, and infernal personalities that skulk in the pages of today's most popular series. The full anthology features stories by Jim Butcher (the Dresden Files), Kelley Armstrong (Cainsville), Seanan McGuire (October Daye), Kevin Hearne (The Iron Druid Chronicles), Jonathan Maberry (Joe Ledger), Lilith Saintcrow (Jill Kismet), Carrie Vaughn (Kitty Norville), Joseph Nassise (Templar Chronicles), Domino Finn (Black Magic Outlaw), Steven Savile (Glasstown), Caitlin Kittredge (Hellhound Chronicles), Jeffrey Somers (The Ustari Cycle), Sam Witt (Pitchfork County), Craig Schaefer (Daniel Faust), Jon F. Merz (Lawson Vampire), Faith Hunter (Jane Yellowrock), and Diana Pharaoh Francis (Horngate Witches)"--… (more)

Urban fantasy anthologies are always great fun to read. It doesn't matter if you haven't read anything by most of the authors before, heck, it's a great way to be introduced into series.

This anthology appealed to me because I recognized authors like Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, Seanan McGuire and Kevin Hearne. The rest were new ones for me, but for the most part did all of the stories work, even though most of the series in this book were new for me, like even though I have read books by Seanan McGuire before haven't I read anything before from her October Daye series, and I have only read the first book in the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (and a short story) before so the villain in the book was pretty unknown for me. But, it worked. Most of the stories worked, despite the fact that I had pretty much zero knowledge before I read them. Then again, I love interesting villains so that helped.

The best story was without doubt Kelley Armstrong's. But, I started to read her Cainsville series a while back, and I love it so that's not really a big surprise. It did spoil the series a bit since I have only read the first two books, but that's alright. It doesn't put me off reading the next books.

If I had been wise would I have taken notes of every story, but I was too lazy for that so I will not comment on every story. However, I will say that it's a great collection whether or not you have read anything by the others before.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |

MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
Urban Enemies is an anthology of villain stories by 17 fantasy writers. Butcher’s story is ‘Even Hand’ about Marcone and Justine. I’ve read it elsewhere. The other stories melt together and are unremittingly boring, even the one by [[Kevin Hearne]].
  2wonderY | May 19, 2021 |
Urban Enemies is a collection of seventeen short stories from Joseph Nassies, Jim Butcher, Kevin Hearne, Seanan McGuire, Kelley Armstrong, Jonathan Maberry, Jeff Somers, Steven Savile, Caitlin Kittredge, Sam Witt, Craig Schaefer, Jon F. Merz, Faith Hunter, Diana Pharaoh Francis, Lilith Saintcrow, Carrie Vaughn, & Domino Finn.

This collection of short stories was an ok read. They are all a little dark and deal with the villains of many different series. I think this collection is great for libraries. It's got a lot of author's so, it might get you interested in trying them.

I picked up this collection; because I wanted to read Jim Butcher’s short story, but I did end up reading all seventeen stories featured. I enjoyed some and others didn’t work out.

Rated: 3.5 Stars

*****

Even Hand by Jim Butcher

Even Hand features John Marcone the human criminal lord in Chicago in the Dresden Files. We get to see what he’s been working on in regards to negating magic. The author treats us to a little battle that tests out his defenses. We see that even as a criminal he has rules and one is no children ever.

I’m fan of the Dresden Files. It’s a great Urban Fantasy series to explore. I liked seeing Marcone.

Hounded by Kelly Armstrong

Hounded is a dark tale. We learn about the Huntsman and that they hunt those that have killed the fae only. But, here we have one who has been cast out, an outcast; because he hunts humans who have killed. The way he traps these humans isn’t right and it’s what lead him to be outcasted.

It’s interesting, but a little dark for my taste.

Nigsu Ga Tesgu by Jeff Somers

Here we learn that Magicians aren’t nice people. It’s told in Mika’s POV and is very dark.

It was enjoyable, but a little dark for my taste.

Sixty-Six Seconds by Craig Schaefer

We are treated to two series that cross in the same world, Harmony Black and Daniel Faust. Faust is nobody's hero. He's a card-carrying villain by trade, a thief and sorcerer. We learn that Demons take over dead bodies and wreak havoc in the modern world. The Chainmen are the first and last line of defense against the enemies of Hell.

I enjoyed Sixty-Six Seconds. Our lead is trying to help someone he cares about out and is on a time crunch.

Kiss by Lilith Saintcro

We get a character from the Jill Kismet series.

I have not read the series, so this one was not easy to follow. We get made up languages and words; which don’t make sense. I was lost.

The Naughties T Cherub By Kevin Hearne

Here we get Loki’s POV a character in the Iron Druid series. It takes place after [b:Staked|16280689|Staked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8)|Kevin Hearne|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1434745650l/16280689._SX50_.jpg|22382333]. Loki is working his way towards Ragnoroke. He visits Hades in Hell to gag if he will participate.

I enjoyed this insight into Loki, the trip to Hell, and this little pop into the series. I’ve got plans to try out the Iron Druid series.

Rated: 3.5 Stars

The Resurrectionist by Caitlin Kittredge

This short is set in the Hellhound Chronicles during the 1930’s. It is the begging of Lee’s story. We get a missing girl, zombies, hellhounds, and warlocks. Lee once was a hunter, but has left that life, yet that life never left him. He’ll have to be that man again.

I really liked this insight into Lee and little taste of the series.

Down where the Darkness Dwells by Joseph Nassise

Here we visit the Templar Chronicles series and Necromancer Simon Logan a villain in the series. This is the start of when he gains his powers. He’s on a search for hidden treasures that will give power, but what he finds turned him into the most powerful leader and no longer an acolyte.

I very much enjoyed this short story. I’m curious about the series now.

Bellum Romanum by Carrie Vaughn

Here we meet Roman aka Gaius Albinus who is Kitty’s nemesis in the Kitty Norville series.

I actually tried this series and stoped after book two. It wasn’t working for me. As for this short, Bellum Romanum, I liked Roman and seeing him at the start of his life and what he has in the works.

Altar Boy by Jonathan Maberry

Here we visit the Joe Ledger world and it features Toy a villain and a recovering bad guy fighting for his soul and redemption. He’s trying to turn a new leaf, given a new chance to do good, but his past has caught up with him…. What will he do?

This was an interesting short and I enjoyed it. Toy is a complex character. He knows he’s done bad and will probably do it again, but he’s also trying to help the good guys and atone for his sins.

Make It Snappy by Faith Hunter

This one takes us into the Jane Yellowrock series featuring Leo and his vampire gang; before Jane comes into the picture. He takes on an old enemy that he thought was dead and learns that the Europe Vampires have set their sights on his land and will be come.

I liked this short. It was fun to see Leo before Jane. I like the Yellowrock series. It’s a great Urban Fantasy to read. I actually was taking a break from the series, but after reading this I wanted to get back to the books.

Chase The Fire by Jon F. Merz

Here we visit the Lawson Vampire series. Shiraz and Ava both have plans, but only one will live to complete them. It’s interesting that these vampires aren’t dead, but have evolved along side humans. We get deception, politics, and hidden plots inside the Vampire world.

It was an enjoyable read.

Rated 3.5 Stars

Unexpected Choices by Diana Pharaoh Francis

Here we visit the Horngate Witches series. Giselle, a Witch and Shoftiel, an Angel are not good and not evil. They both do what they feel is right to save people they care about, but those choices have a cost. Shoftiel was punished and sent to the Mistlands. He has a chance at freedom by making a deal with Giselle who needs his help in a snatch and grab.

Unexpected was investing. We get a run down of the world and what happened to it and why theirs magic now.

Reel Life by Steven Savile

This is an odd read. We have Seth who is a criminal. He’s jealous and envious of his brother. He makes a deal with a magician who makes this alternate world called Glass Tower. In this world time moves differently, he doesn’t age, yet can step outside the world into a new time and will age unless he returns to the Glass Tower.

It’s weird, violent, got abuse, rape, death, and destruction. I didn’t care for it. It’s got several trig points that I don’t like to read about and the weirdness of the story didn’t help.

Rated: 1 stars

The Difference Between Deceit and Delusion by Domino Finn

This short story takes place before the Black Magic Outlaw series kicks off. We get a look at the backstory of the villain, Tunji Malu, who started all the trouble in that world. It stars off with torture then onto the kill. Once we move on we get a short battle, and making a deal with a Jinn who also has big plans.

It was an ok read.

Balance by Seanan McGuire

This one is in the InCryptid universe. It’s got manipulating minds and causing chaos.

I couldn’t get into this short story.

Everywhere by Sam Witt

Here we visit Pitchfork Country series. Joe Hark fights dark forces that plague the world when he discovers his mentor has; become one of these monsters it puts them against each other.

I didn’t like it and couldn’t get into the short story.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
With any anthology of this type there are bound to be stories you love and stories you don't. I think over all this landed in the middle for me. It wasn't an overwhelming "YAY!" from everyone or a over all "Boo!" I was reminded of a few authors I have meant to read more from and reminded why I didn't care for others. Reading is like that sometimes. ( )
  Ravenwood1984 | Oct 13, 2020 |

Somers, JeffreyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vaughn, CarrieContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Witt, SamContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Black Magic Outlaw (The Difference Between Deceit And Delusion)
Daniel Faust (Sixty-Six Seconds)
Harmony Black (Sixty-Six Seconds)
Hellhound Chronicles (The Resurrectionist)
Horngate Witches (Unexpected Choices)
InCryptid (10.1, "Balance")
Iron Druid Chronicles (The Naughtiest Cherub)
Jane Yellowrock (Make It Snappy, 0.5)
Joe Ledger (Altar Boy)
Kitty Norville (Bellum Romanum, 13.5)
Lawson Vampire Series (Chase The Fire)
Pitchfork County (Everywhere)
The Templar Chronicles (Down Where The Darkness Dwells)
Ustari Cycle (Nigsu Ga Tesgu)
Contains the short story Even Hand which is part of the Dresden Files series. This anthology itself is not part of the Dresden Files series.

Contains:
  • Reel life / Steven Savile
  • The difference between deceit and delusion / Domino Finn
  • Balance / Seanan McGuire
  • Everywhere / Sam Witt

Joseph Nassise is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,336,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible