The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Hate U Give (edition 2017)

by Angie Thomas (Author)

Series: THUG (1)

"Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed. Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr. But what Starr does or does not say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life"--… (more)
Member:karennovakoski
Title:The Hate U Give
Authors:Angie Thomas (Author)
Info:Balzer Bray (2017), Edition: First Edition Later Printing, 464 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:to-read, bc-possibilities

Work Information

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

English (464)  German (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (471)
On a completely structural, emotional and thematic level this book is untouchable. It deftly explores all of its complex topics with stunning ease and what sense I get, above all, is understanding. Coming from completely outside this issue, this book lets me in on the experience of a black person in the US better than most things before. I'd recommend this to just about anyone, but its especially important for younger readers.

I will dock points because the prose just isn't there sometimes. Dialogue is great, but everything in between is hit-or-miss. At times it feels like a movie script written in book form, which isn't painful to read but sometimes feels a little artless. A lot of telling and not showing which detracts from the experience.

Altogether high recommendations. ( )
  SaltyPitchfork | Jun 30, 2024 |
Gorgeous. Incredible. Moving. Amazing. Pick your superlative. This book is a stunning piece of writing. It is both heartbreaking and (sometimes) hilarious, often in the same paragraph. This book is as much about relationships as it is police brutality. I think that's what I love the most about it; in the main, it is about the importance of maintaining relationships through the hard work of grieving. This is a modern classic, and fascists trying to ban it from schools can pound sand. It's a hard read, but a good one. Pick it up. ( )
  Library_Guard | Jun 17, 2024 |
4.25 stars ( )
  jj24 | May 27, 2024 |
The Hate U Give ♦ Angie Thomas | Review

Because [b:The Hate You Give|53522062|The Hate You Give|Angie Thomas|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1613832668l/53522062._SY75_.jpg|49638190] is the most impactful book I’ve read in a very long time, it was kind of a challenge to get the right words for this review. As you read this review about this book, which is pertinent and instructive, sadly similar events pictured by this book are happening day in and out all over the world.

The Hate U Give ♦ Angie Thomas

Opinion

At the beginning of this review I have to say, as a German reader I had my difficulties with the dialogs (slang) at first and I always wanted to correct the characters with their grammar. But because I did want to have the original experience of the story, I had to adapt. After a couple of pages in, the flow of reading caught in. I can’t tell how the slang was translated in the German version, or if there was any at all.

This book was influenced by the #BlackLivesMatter movement, which gained traction after sixteen-year-old Starr saw her best friend, a black kid who was unarmed, slain by a police officer. Because there is hardly to never any justice for these senseless tragedies, Starr is afraid to speak out and struggles with what to do all the time.

Being uncomfortable is essential for change, and That Hate U Give will make many people feel that way because it is true and honest. And a lot of people’s lives are going to be changed by this book. I sincerely hope that everyone who reads this would begin to educate themselves about the issues facing the world today and stop ignoring them. The Hate U Give is a work of genius that will be a frequent source of inspiration for years to come. Books are the most effective and impactful tool we have.

The fact that the cops won’t automatically perceive me as a threat merely because of the color of my skin also makes me feel privileged. And as a white person, privileged I am. I know I won’t ever have to consider the potential that a routine traffic stop could become more hazardous just because a police officer becomes tense. I used to take that for granted without being aware of it. But after reading The Hate U Give, I won’t be able to keep doing so.

Bottom Line

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

One of the most significant movements taking place nowadays was examined in The Hate U Give, which then presented it to the world’s youth and also older generations as myself, as a story. That present ended up being one of the most popular books in recent memory. The movie adaption is as powerful as this book is. I recommend reading and watching both.

This review was first published at The Art of Reading ( )
  RoXXieSiXX | May 20, 2024 |
REQUIRED READING FOR ALL HUMANS

A great book stays with you, like a dozen shot tequila hangover. The Hate You Give is the type of book that will stop you in your tracks, take your breath, and make you evaluate yourself. The Hate You Give is riveting and an absolute must read.

Sixteen year old Starr is caught between her worlds of white privilege school, where she and her brothers, Seven, and Sekani, commute 45 minutes to get the best education available, and the ghetto where she lives, where bullets spray her neighborhood, and colors equate to gang loyalty.

While at a party in her ‘hood over spring break, shots ring out and she and her best friend, Khalil dash for his car and take off, only to get pulled over by a white cop. Unarmed, Khalil is shot three times in the back and dies on the street with Starr holding him. What follows is expected, rioting, opinions, lack of justice, and lines drawn between blacks and whites, including at Starr’s 99% white school and with her white friends.

I read for many reasons: entertainment, relaxation, education. I try to stay away from the over-hyped, I don’t tend to know if something is a movie (I’m more of a nose in a book kinda gal rather than eyes on the screen), and I do my best to stay well-rounded (read: I try to see all sides). But there are some things that need to be shouted from the rooftops. YOU NEED TO READ, THE HATE YOU GIVE.

Angie Thomas’ debut novel, written some years back, is as relevant then as it is today. Read this book. Look inside yourself, your knee-jerk thoughts and behaviors, and see if you too don’t come away hungover, wrung out, and emotionally exhausted. We must do better. ( )
  LyndaWolters1 | Apr 3, 2024 |
Shot and killed right from the start really was an attention grabber in this book. Angie Thomas wrote a relatable book, especially for this time in our world involving Black Lives Matter, police brutality, implicit bias, and white privilege. I loved how this topic was touched upon because, for some, these matters need to be acknowledged more in this world in order for change.
This book took place in the hood and expressed the difference between the black and white communities. The main character Starr Carter lived two lives; there was one life in the neighborhood of garden heights and then the Starr who attends a prestigious, private white prep school across town. I fell in love with this book and felt excitement every time I picked it up, which says a lot because reading has not always been my favorite thing. I felt like I knew this family and everything they were feeling because the details describing everything were so strong. I watched the main character, Starr, break down just about every moment, I felt like I knew each and everything she was feeling. I also really enjoyed the characters in this story because it was very clear they were all very connected and were there for each other. The relationship between the kids and Starrs parents was unreal, and I treasured how supportive and caring they were.
This book definitely was a little intense with some of the events that occurred, but I do believe it was important because it was necessary for the story line and the problems they faced. Although I really did enjoy this book, I felt that the storyline was the same, meaning similar things continuously happened and events were almost predictable. I would recommend this book 1000% for anyone over the age of 13 because it can get a little intense with the words chose for some scenes. Lastly, I would definitely recommend this to someone who has a lot of interest in these problems going on around the world or enjoys reading about how people persevere through problems.
added by kaileemccabe | editLibraryThing.com, Kailee McCabe (Nov 30, 2020)

The first-person narrative is simply beautiful to read, and I felt I was observing the story unfold in 3D as the characters grew flesh and bones inside my mind. The Hate U Give is an outstanding debut novel and says more about the contemporary black experience in America than any book I have read for years, whether fiction or non-fiction. It's a stark reminder that, instead of seeking enemies at its international airports, America should open its eyes and look within if it's really serious about keeping all its citizens safe.
added by Cynfelyn | editThe Guardian, Alex Wheatle (Apr 8, 2017)

Thomas’s debut novel offers an incisive and engrossing perspective of the life of a black teenage girl as Starr’s two worlds converge over questions of police brutality, justice, and activism.
added by g33kgrrl | editThe Atlantic, Anna Diamond (Mar 28, 2017)

The story, with so many issues addressed, can feel overwhelming at times, but then again, so can the life of an African American teen. Debut author Thomas is adept at capturing the voices of multiple characters, and she ultimately succeeds in restoring Starr’s true voice.

That hope seems slim indeed these days, but ultimately the book emphasizes the need to speak up about injustice, to have injustice be known even if not punished. That’s a message that will resonate with all young people concerned with fairness, and Starr’s experience will speak to readers who know Starr’s life like their own and provide perspective for others.

Angie Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Verjovsky Paul, SoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Awards

Distinctions

Notable Lists

For Grandma, who showed me there can be light in the darkness
I shouldn't have come to this party.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,419,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible