The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Hate U Give (edition 2017)

by Angie Thomas (Author)

Series: THUG (1)

"Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed. Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr. But what Starr does or does not say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life"--… (more)
Member:KelseyPedersenXRDN
Title:The Hate U Give
Authors:Angie Thomas (Author)
Info:Balzer Bray (2017), Edition: 1, 447 pages

Work Information

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (Author)

English (377)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (384)
Powerful book. Listened to the audio recording, and the narrator adds so much to the story. ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
It’s a good book. The journalists can never really tell you everything; that’s why we have social fiction.

From a selfish point of view, the thing I liked was the diversity of opinion in the Black community, the daughter running wild and the mother yelling at her to come home. Although (selfish), obviously there’s that family resemblance, I think they call it in philosophy, where mostly they for their friendship want more from me than whitey with his racist family can give. Also (get ready for the racism) I don’t think I could ever date a Black girl, not because of how they look (white girls are certainly what come to mind for me, but Black girls can be pretty too), but because I don’t think I could ever satisfy them that I’m an ally and not a problem. I’m still prejudiced. And even if I could, I don’t think I could deal with the father or the family. (The hell is the white boy doing here. You know he’s a vegan or some such shit, and always reading them Greece books. The boy don’t even make time for sports. He’s certainly White, but is he even a man? Sheesh! I’m glad I live in this neighborhood where at least the people look like me. Except for the cops, and they have guns. I guess there’s always a fly in the ointment if you go looking for it.) Let alone any children—a noble endeavor, a brave country, I think, but mistreating your kids is dicey enough without it being because of race. Then again, I don’t want any kids, or even a girl, even a white girl, at least not the one who might have me, and here in America, where preening and going to the movies (marketed almost equally to the international audience with a shaky grasp of English: now it all makes sense, although plenty of Americans are aliterate as well, and won’t read until they barely can…. Bring back the Nazis, whitey says, at least they wore glasses from killing their eyes reading) cuts into book time….

Did I have a point, probably not.

Oh but Hailey seems like she wanted to have a Black and an Asian friend to look cool, but wants to kinda absorb them into her into glittering whiteness, and when they have a problem (especially if it’s because of their background) she either ignores them or tells them to go to hell. I was disingenuous like that in high school—high schoolers have an eleven year old’s brain, I swear—and that was back when I was a (bookish) committed Marxist, which is probably part of what turns many Black youth away from books, that and just the general hue of the lily.

And, I mostly talked about the white characters….
  goosecap | Jan 8, 2022 |
Angie Thomas tackles police brutality, code switching, and gangs in this book, and does all of it without being saccharine or preachy (though I think we could all use a bit more preaching on these topics). I read it in one sitting. It calls on everyone, regardless of race, to use our voices as weapons against injustice. Should be required reading for everyone, regardless of age, gender, class, or race.

ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
This book is a powerful read. The story's first person perspective offers a look into a life (and the associated racism that comes with it) that many do not get a chance to experience. Ms. Thomas's fictional story paints a very real picture of life in America as a visible minority. And that's why the book is important. The racism, the killing, the abuse of power must stop. One way to do that, as is driven home in the book, is to speak up. But before speaking, we must be educated.

As a book, The Hate U Give comes about as close to true-to-life as it can. The characters, and they are numerous, are all well described. I could picture every one clearly in my head, as I followed Starr through some of the worst moments of her young life, sharing her mind's eye.

Do yourself a favor and read this brave book. ( )
  lee.gabel | Dec 22, 2021 |
This book is the latest one chosen for the Library's book club. So, of course I totally had to read it again because I would love to discuss this book with my coworkers. It is a powerful read and it is one that I believe that everyone should read at some point in their lives. ( )
  klcarmack | Nov 12, 2021 |
Shot and killed right from the start really was an attention grabber in this book. Angie Thomas wrote a relatable book, especially for this time in our world involving Black Lives Matter, police brutality, implicit bias, and white privilege. I loved how this topic was touched upon because, for some, these matters need to be acknowledged more in this world in order for change.
This book took place in the hood and expressed the difference between the black and white communities. The main character Starr Carter lived two lives; there was one life in the neighborhood of garden heights and then the Starr who attends a prestigious, private white prep school across town. I fell in love with this book and felt excitement every time I picked it up, which says a lot because reading has not always been my favorite thing. I felt like I knew this family and everything they were feeling because the details describing everything were so strong. I watched the main character, Starr, break down just about every moment, I felt like I knew each and everything she was feeling. I also really enjoyed the characters in this story because it was very clear they were all very connected and were there for each other. The relationship between the kids and Starrs parents was unreal, and I treasured how supportive and caring they were.
This book definitely was a little intense with some of the events that occurred, but I do believe it was important because it was necessary for the story line and the problems they faced. Although I really did enjoy this book, I felt that the storyline was the same, meaning similar things continuously happened and events were almost predictable. I would recommend this book 1000% for anyone over the age of 13 because it can get a little intense with the words chose for some scenes. Lastly, I would definitely recommend this to someone who has a lot of interest in these problems going on around the world or enjoys reading about how people persevere through problems.
added by kaileemccabe | editLibraryThing.com, Kailee McCabe (Nov 30, 2020)

The first-person narrative is simply beautiful to read, and I felt I was observing the story unfold in 3D as the characters grew flesh and bones inside my mind. The Hate U Give is an outstanding debut novel and says more about the contemporary black experience in America than any book I have read for years, whether fiction or non-fiction. It's a stark reminder that, instead of seeking enemies at its international airports, America should open its eyes and look within if it's really serious about keeping all its citizens safe.
added by Cynfelyn | editThe Guardian, Alex Wheatle (Apr 8, 2017)

Thomas’s debut novel offers an incisive and engrossing perspective of the life of a black teenage girl as Starr’s two worlds converge over questions of police brutality, justice, and activism.
added by g33kgrrl | editThe Atlantic, Anna Diamond (Mar 28, 2017)

The story, with so many issues addressed, can feel overwhelming at times, but then again, so can the life of an African American teen. Debut author Thomas is adept at capturing the voices of multiple characters, and she ultimately succeeds in restoring Starr’s true voice.

That hope seems slim indeed these days, but ultimately the book emphasizes the need to speak up about injustice, to have injustice be known even if not punished. That’s a message that will resonate with all young people concerned with fairness, and Starr’s experience will speak to readers who know Starr’s life like their own and provide perspective for others.

Thomas, AngieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benedek Leila,Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bortolussi, StefanoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cartwright, DebraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, JasperTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stempel, JennaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verjovsky Paul, SoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Grandma, who showed me there can be light in the darkness
I shouldn't have come to this party.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,374,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible