FLASHMAN AND THE CHARGE (original 1973; edition 1986)

by George MacDonald Fraser

Authors:George MacDonald Fraser
Info:Plume Book (1986), Paperback

Flashman at the Charge by George MacDonald Fraser (1973)

In the fourth installment the year is now 1854 and this time Flashy has been appointed as special guardian to Prince William of Celle during the Crimean War. His son, Harry Albert Victor (aka "Havvy") is five years old. I don't think I am giving anything away when I say Flashman is taken prisoner and makes an interesting deal with his captor. The outcome of that deal is not revealed in Flashman at the Charge. Maybe in the next installment?
George MacDonald Fraser calls himself the "editor" of this packet of papers and admits he only corrected spelling and added necessary footnotes (and there are a lot of them, as always). I have to admit, I'm still not used to the downright silliness of Fraser's writing. Case in point - in the heat of battle Flashman has gas, "I remember, my stomach was asserting itself again, and I rode yelling with panic and farting furiously at the same time" (p 105). What I liked the best about this set of papers is that there is someone who sees through Flashman's cowardice (finally!). ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jun 20, 2015 |
Our favorite coward Harry Flashman manages to survive the Charge of the Light Brigade, imprisonment, escape and several more battles to save the British Empire, all the while coming across as a hero despite his best efforts to be otherwise. Confirming, at last, that he is a cuckold, he doesn't neglect the ladies from England to Russia to Afghanistan. Don't ever go for a sleigh ride with him. ( )
  varielle | Feb 20, 2013 |
One of the best of the Flashman books. Flashman at the charge of te LIght Brigade and as a prisoner in Russia, undertaking to beget an heir for a tough old Russian lord on the latter's married but childless daughter. ( )
  antiquary | Feb 12, 2013 |
Brilliant, funny, entertaining this one has got the works ( )
  Lordofthebooks | Sep 30, 2012 |
MacDonald Fraser set the bar to historical adventure fiction very high when he came up with the Flashman papers, purporting to be the real-life memoirs of the sneak, bully and coward who first appeared in a pious Victorian novel, Tom Brown's School days. Brilliantly researched and full of roguish hilarity, the books chronicle Flashman's inexorable rise to fame and fortune in Victoria's empire by a combination of good looks, good luck and a cynical devotion to self-preservation. ( )
  jason.goodwin | Mar 23, 2012 |
For "Ekaterin",
rummy champion of Samarkand
When the Flashman Papers, that vast personal memoir describing the adult career of the notorious bully of Tom Brown's Schooldays, came to light some years ago, it was at once evident that new and remarkable material was going to be added to Victorian history.
The moment after Lew Nolan wheeled his horse away and disappeared over the edge of the escarpment with Raglan's message tucked away in his gauntlet, I knew I was for it.
You know, the advantage to being a wicked bastard is that everyone pesters the Lord on your behalf; if volume of prayers from my saintly enemies means anything, I'll be saved when the Archbishop of Canterbury is damned. It's a comforting thought.

As the British cavalry prepared to launch themselves against the Russian guns at Balaclava, Harry Flashman was petrified. But the Crimea was only the beginning: beyond lay the snowbound wastes of the great Russian slave empire, torture and death, headlong escapes from relentless enemies, savage tribal hordes to the right of him, passionate females to the left of him! And finally that unknown but desperate war on the roof of the world, when India was the prize, and there was nothing to stop the armed might of Imperial Russia but the wavering sabre and terrified ingenuity of old Flashy himself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible