The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to…

by Judson Brewer (Author), Jon Kabat-Zinn Ph.D. (Foreword)

A leading neuroscientist and pioneer in the study of mindfulness explains why addictions are so tenacious and how we can learn to conquer them We are all vulnerable to addiction. Whether it's a compulsion to constantly check social media, binge eating, smoking, excessive drinking, or any other behaviors, we may find ourselves uncontrollably repeating. Why are bad habits so hard to overcome? Is there a key to conquering the cravings we know are unhealthy for us?   This book provides groundbreaking answers to the most important questions about addiction. Dr. Judson Brewer, a psychiatrist and neuroscientist who has studied the science of addictions for twenty years, reveals how we can tap into the very processes that encourage addictive behaviors in order to step out of them. He describes the mechanisms of habit and addiction formation, then explains how the practice of mindfulness can interrupt these habits. Weaving together patient stories, his own experience with mindfulness practice, and current scientific findings from his own lab and others, Dr. Brewer offers a path for moving beyond our cravings, reducing stress, and ultimately living a fuller life.  … (more)
Member:anabis
Title:The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to Smartphones to Love – Why We Get Hooked and How We Can Break Bad Habits
Authors:Judson Brewer (Author)
Other authors:Jon Kabat-Zinn Ph.D. (Foreword)
Info:Yale University Press (2018), Edition: Reprint, 256 pages
Collections:Electronice citite

Work Information

The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to Smartphones to Love – Why We Get Hooked and How We Can Break Bad Habits by Judson Brewer

I read this book to see what it can bring to the improvement of teaching and learning - although this is not quite its focal point.
However, Brewer clearly connects addiction and its perceived rewards to the human condition and our way of (non)thinking, charts his life's course as an example of how meditation can move a person away from addictive behavior to mindfulness and joyful immersion into meaningful activities such as learning and working. A good read that should spark some interesting thoughts. ( )
  WiebkeK | Jan 21, 2021 |
The first chapter pretty much tells you everything you need to know. I do recommend reading it, but after that first part, I felt like I got what I needed.
  catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |

Judson Brewerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kabat-Zinn, JonForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,567,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible