dismiss

Glory Season

by David Brin

Hugo and Nebula award-winning author David Brin is one of the most eloquent, imaginative voices in science fiction.nbsp;nbsp;Now he returns with a new novel rich in texture, universal in theme, monumental in scope--pushing the genre to new heights. Young Maia is fast approaching a turning point in her life.nbsp;nbsp;As a half-caste var, she must leave the clan home of her privileged half sisters and seek her fortune in the world.nbsp;nbsp;With her twin sister, Leie, she searches the docks of Port Sanger for an apprenticeship aboard the vessels that sail the trade routes of the Stratoin oceans. On her far-reaching, perilous journey of discovery, Maia will endure hardship and hunger, imprisonment and loneliness, bloody battles with pirates and separation from her twin.nbsp;nbsp;And along the way, she will meet a traveler who has come an unimaginable distance--and who threatens the delicate balance of the Stratoins' carefully maintained, perfect society.... Both exciting and insightful, Glory Season is a major novel, a transcendent saga of the human spirit.… (more)
    Grass by Sheri S. Tepper (Sassm)
    Sassm: These books share certain themes that I won't outline at risk of spoiling, and are both enjoyable reads. Someone who enjoyed Glory Season would probably be intrigued by Grass. I won't make the recommendation reciprocal, as I believe that Glory Season works best as an adventure/soap story rather than fitting the criteria of 'feminist science fiction' - somebody looking for that may not be looking for this book.… (more)
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (ultimatebookwyrm)
    ultimatebookwyrm: Two books in the nature of a thought experiment with regard to gender and social construction. Slow, methodical reads that aren't afraid to say a few things that won't be popular.
    Ethan of Athos by Lois McMaster Bujold (ultimatebookwyrm, jorvaor)
    ultimatebookwyrm: Build a world - and the conspiracy will come. If you found Glory Season a bit slow-paced or vague on biological concepts, Ethan of Athos is the book for you.
    jorvaor: Los argumentos son muy diferentes, pero en ambas novelas se describen sociedades el método de reproducción ha sido diseñado por científicos y es diferente del nuestro.

2020 reread:
I really like this look at gender roles and the conflict between adaptability & stability. While the ending is realistic (given the world of Stratoin), it is somewhat depressing... ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 18, 2020 |
My wife an I made it 100 pages into this and though it was interesting, it didn't grab either of us enough to make us want put the effort of reading 464 more pages to find out what happens in the end.

I really hope we're not passing up some life-changing epic here, but we've just got too many books on our shelves we haven't read yet to spend that much time on something that seemed like it would be a solid 3 stars. ( )
  ragwaine | Apr 16, 2020 |
I am very fond of some of Brin's books, notably the The Postman, but this one strikes me as rather heavy-handed. It is about a world in which the first (women) settlers chose to reproduce primarily without men, but they do allow the existence of some men, chiefly sailors, who father children who do not fit the identical mold of the standard girls. These non-standard girls are called vars (variants). The heroine Maia and her sister Leia are vars, who are discriminated against in their society, so they go away to sea with the men. The book concludes with an interesting critique of the conventional hierarchical medieval setting of many fantasies and some sf. ( )
  antiquary | Dec 15, 2017 |
Entertaining, but not quite Ursula K. LeGuin (who also deals with similar experimental gender issues in lots of her work). ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Okay Brin, though not my favorite. Nice sci-fi with a matriarchal society but with a not all that cohesive of a plot... ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

David Brinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Christie, ClaireNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We would have every path laid open to women.... Were this done... we would see crystallizations more pure and of more various beauty. We believe the divine energy would pervade nature to a degree unknown in the history of former ages, and that no discordant collision, but a ravishing harmony of the spheres, would ensue.
-Margaret Fuller
To Cheryl Ann
who rescued Maia from Flatland
and me from loneliness
Twenty-six months before her second birthday, Maia learned the true difference between winter and summer.

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,945,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible