A Whack On the Side of the Head: How to…

A Whack On the Side of the Head: How to Unlock Your Mind for Innovation (edition 1985)

by Roger Von Oech

Over the years, A WHACK ON THE SIDE OF THE HEAD has been praised by business people, educators, scientists, homemakers, artists, youth leaders, and many more. The book has been stimulating creativity in millions of readers, translated into eleven languages, and used in seminars around the world. Now Roger von Oech's fully illustrated and updated volume is filled with even more provocative puzzles, anecdotes, exercises, metaphors, cartoons, questions, quotations, stories, and tips designed to systematically break through your mental blocks and unlock your mind for creative thinking. This new edition will attract an entire new generation of readers with updated and mind-stretching material.… (more)
Member:fifekat
Title:A Whack On the Side of the Head: How to Unlock Your Mind for Innovation
Authors:Roger Von Oech
Info:Warner Books> C/o Little Br (1985), Paperback
Tags:spiritual

A Whack on the Side of the Head by Roger von Oech

I had to read this book for my class, it was alright, I really liked some of the points he made but overall it was just an okay book. ( )
  emwelilyls | Jul 9, 2016 |
Note: I read the 1990 version of this book.
I learned about this book in the bibliography section of Seth Godin's Linchpin. It's aim is to stimulate you to be more creative. I found it very helpful.

What is the point, you may ask of being creative? Creative people stand out from the crowd, sometimes make things possible that didn't seem so, may increase productivity, or maybe just make life more enjoyable. Some examples are Albert Einstein, Johann Gutenberg, Isaac Newton, and William Shakespeare.

What happens if you're not at all interested in being creative? This quote (in the book) from physicist Tom Hirshfield summarizes it well: If you don't ask "Why this?" often enough, somebody will ask "Why you?".

My favorite quotes from this book:
The best way to get a good idea is to get a lot of ideas. (pg 28)

The metaphor is probably the most fertile power possessed by man. (Ortega y Gasset, pg 44)

Some people are so closely married to their ideas that they put them up on a pedestal. It's difficult to be creative when you have that much ego tied up in your idea. (pg 94)

A man's errors are his portals of discovery. (James Joyce, pg 154)

...two benefits of failure. First, if you do fail, you learn what doesn't work. Second, the failure gives you an opportunity to try a new approach. (pg 160)

What concerns me is not the way things are, but rather the way people think things are. (Epictetus, pg 162)
  RichardHollos | Jan 20, 2011 |
Books
  ITTTechCary | Aug 11, 2010 |
Roger von Oech takes the premise that our educational system and business environment stifle creativity. Through this book, von Oech provides illustrations, puzzles, inspirational quotes, and exercises to help us adults rediscover our creativity.

Von Oech points out that solving a problem requires "soft thinking", which is imagination and creativity, and "hard thinking", which is the practical phase of decision making. Both "soft thinking" and "hard thinking" have their place. When tackling a problem, we should start off like an artist, using "soft thinking" skills to realize there's more than one idea. We can then convert to being a judge, using "hard thinking" skills" to decide which ideas are acceptable and practical to implement.

A Whack on the Side of the Head provides numerous examples and great lessons to improve creativity. The book provides great information about where and how to use "soft skills" to look at a problem from a different perspective.

www.ResolvingConflictsNow.com ( )
  ksgrossman | Mar 21, 2010 |
I included this book in my book: The 100 Best Business Books of All Time. www.100bestbiz.com ( )
  toddsattersten | May 8, 2009 |
To Wendy, Athena, and Alex

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,596,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible