One Fell Sweep by Ilona Andrews

One Fell Sweep

by Ilona Andrews

2071480,840 (4.33)12

These are so much fun. I really love the mix of science fiction and fantasy elements, and I can't wait for the next installment. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
Loved it!

This series is fantastic! Each book has been a 5 star read for me (fingers crossed for book 4) . One Fell Sweep picks up a few days after Sweep in Peace. Dina is dealing with what she discovered in the previous book when she receives a message from her sister to rescue her from a very dangerous planet.

We get some great character interactions and developments in this one and some spaceship travel which was one of the things holding it back from feeling more like science fiction to me. Spaceships mean science fiction! The fantasy and sci-fi blend doesn’t suffer for this though.

With the Inn under siege and Dina protecting her guest, sometimes to her detriment, there are plenty of tense situations and action scenes. The love triangle (that I never felt was a love triangle really but a lot of people seem to) is resolved in a great way. I just love the ending so much!!!

It’s just great! A breath of fresh air in genre fiction. ( )
  ElaineHowlin | Aug 28, 2018 |
This book was great. So great that I read it again about 2 weeks after I read it the first time and it was still great. The action and suspense kept coming. The characters were interesting. I liked that we had new characters and the reappearance of some old ones too. The prose is smooth and the dialog spot on for each character. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Aug 5, 2018 |
I have never quite been this angry at an author for making a book series this amazing. A body has to sleep!!
you would think I could sleep now that I have finished the series. no. Not only do I have the urge to immediately start rereading the series, I am also very anxious for tge series to continue. I wanted to write this review tomorrow, but I CANNOT SLEEP.
Ok, now for the slightly more measured portion of my review.
I find many book series repeat themselves. I have read books of a long series(one in particular) where the conflict grew and changed from the last book, yet I felt as though I was reading one story over and over again. I think maybe authors get into a type of rythym without realizing it. I actually did realize how much it truly effected me till this series. Every single book in the Innkeeper Cronicles has a very different conflict whch require vastly different solutions. It felt very close to reality, which has no reguard for the skills you have mastered in the books before present time. Our conflicts do not grow with us, carefully increasing as we become more adept. Conflicts grow us, and when they don't, they crush us. Authors can be too careful about the conflicts thrown at characters, as if wondering if they can truly handle it. Life has no such quandaries. I don't wish to sound bleak but realistic. I found the character growth and changes painfully realistic, in the best way ( )
  MichelleJB | May 10, 2018 |

This series is a MUST READ and one that must be read in order. Everything builds from book to book and it only gets better.

I waited to read this when the paperback version came out. I like the pictures illustrated in the paperbacks and of course I prefer to read a story in it's entirety instead of bit by bit. The author published parts on their website, but for me it's not the same as getting it all in one sitting, holding that paperback.

WOW. I read this in one day. Couldn't put it down. I loved everything about this installment. Going deeper into Dina’s family, seeing her relationship grow with Sean, revisiting characters and introducing new ones. Just Fabulous!! I can't wait for the next installment.

- The relationship between Dina and Sean. Their relationship has been a slow build. I like how this relationship has developed over the books. It was fabulous seeing Dina come to understand her feelings for Sean, her wolf, and how it all came into focus. I liked the conversations they had and that they hashed out things. To finally see these two get together and move their relationship into the physical one, was sweet and well worth the wait.

- We are introduced to Diana's sister, Maud and her niece, Helen. I love seeing kids. They add something special to the books and here there's magic afoot. It’s hard not to fall for Helen and of course her mother Maud is one badass women. What she’s been through and how she survived. Power to her. I’m curious and LOVE that a romantic relationship might be developing between Maud and Arland.

- Arland, I never saw him for Dina and didn’t like the little triangle thing in book one, but here Arland was fabulous. He melted my heart with how sweet he was to Helen and his run ins with Maud where great. I really want to see more Maud, Helen, and Arland. Maybe they will get their own book. Who knows?

- The concept and storyline for the Hiru was wonderful done. And, Officer Marais, things finally comes to a head. There were many more events and things that made this such an outstanding read.

- There were emotional parts that made my heart melt and clench. Their were hilarious scenes like the fart gun, which I laughed so hard reading. Then we get so many hints and tidbits that were amazing morsel to digest. Like the tidbit on Klaus (Dina’s Brother), her father and mother, and of another big bad that might be on the horizon that Dina maybe confronting.

There was just so much to love in One Fell Sweep. I don’t know how the Andrews team keeps coming up with new, unique, and astonishing things, but they do. I’m in awe. Really if you haven't started the Innkeeper Chronicles or any works by Ilona Andrews you are sorely missing out.

One Fell Sweep is a phenomenal Urban Fantasy adventure.

Rated: 5 Stars

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
To Lora Gasway
Thank you for everything. We miss you and deeply regret your passing.
A faint chime tugged me out of sleep.

Dina DeMille may run the nicest Bed and Breakfast in Red Deer, Texas, but she caters to a very particular kind of guest & the kind that no one on Earth is supposed to know about. Guests like a former intergalactic tyrant with an impressive bounty on her head, the Lord Marshal of a powerful vampire clan, and a displaced-and-superhot werewolf; so don't stand too close, or you may be collateral damage. -- that!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,018,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible