No Little Women: Equipping All Women in the Household of God

by Aimee Byrd

Why are so many well-intentioned women falling for pooreven falsetheology? The Devil has been effectively targeting women from the beginning, so why are they often left to fend for themselves in so-called women's ministries?Strengthening women in the church strengthens the whole church. Cultivating resolved, competent women equips them to fulfill their calling as Christ's disciples and men's essential allies. Writing to concerned women and church officers, Aimee Byrd pinpoints the problem, especially the commodification of women's ministry. Aimee answers the hot-button issuesHow can women grow in discernment? How should pastors preach to women? What are our roles within the church'and points us in the direction of a multifaceted solution.… (more)

In this book, Byrd argues for greater theological education for women in the Evangelical church. She notes that women's education in this area has been historically neglected and that the state of resources aimed at women are often heterodox and even heretical. This is harmful to the church since these "little women" (phrasing drawn from 2 Timothy 3:6) lead others astray. She calls for pastors and elders to shepherd the women in their congregations to a greater knowledge of God and for women to critically read hard books about God (and separate the meat from the bones, so to speak). As R.C. Sproul says, everyone is a theologian.

I think that Byrd is addressing an important topic here. The Evangelical reaction to the sexual revolution and 2nd/3rd wave feminism have in many ways sidelined women to a point that should be shameful to the church at large. Byrd herself has been harassed by conservative members of her own denomination and these members have not been disciplined as they ought. However, I think she develops this point better in her following book "Recovering From Biblical Manhood and Womanhood." Indeed, I think that that book develops more on most of the arguments here and having read it, I see this book as mostly a precursor. While "No Little Women" is good, I would recommend "Recovering From..." over it. ( )
  iewi | Jun 11, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,117,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible