Behold the Bold Umbrellaphant and Other…

Behold the Bold Umbrellaphant and Other Poems

by Jack Prelutsky

Other authors: Carin Berger (Illustrator)

The poems are used to give objects animal like features. Also, the poets uses description to help us understand what each of the objects functions are. ( )
  kmparnell | Nov 8, 2017 |
In my opinion this poetry book was awesome! This author does a wonderful job with incorporating comedy, imaginary animals, and relevant themes in this books in order to gain his readers attention. One of my favorite poems within this book was the "Toadster". Most of his poems have to do with his imaginary animal combined with an inanimate object. For instance, this poem combines a toad and a toaster and examples the frustrating idea of always hopping around trying to toast bread. Another highlight that I like about this book is the illustrations matching the extremely detailed poems that Prelutsky writes. It takes a lot of effort to match the complex and crazy imaginary animals that Prelutsky comes up with and Berger does a wonderful job fulfilling that. I would definitely recommend this poetry book to be in the classroom library in my classroom. ( )
  isala1 | Oct 30, 2017 |
Summary-
This book was about animals being combined with objects and creating interesting characteristics for them. The poems bring to life animas such as: umbrellaphants, alarmadillos, ballpoint penguins, lynx of chain, pop-up toadsters, shoehornets, clocktopus, and the ocelock, just to name a few! These animals are brought to life through text.

Personal Reflection-
This book was a ton of fun to read! I loved every page. The illustrations give a visual of how these animals and objects are combined. The way the author uses their imagination is completely welcomed.

Classroom extension ideas-
1. we can combine choose an animal and object to combine. We can then make a list of qualities they might have.We can then write a poem or story with our new animal.

2. We can make a collage about the animal we have created using magazines and newspapers.

3. We can write different styles of poems about our creations. (limericks, Haikus, listing, name) ( )
  Amahoney1114 | Nov 9, 2016 |
This is a book of silly rhyming poems mixing objects and animals together such as umbrellaphant or panthermometer. USES: poetry, creativity, rhyming. GENRE: poetry. MEDIA: collage.
  Adrinnon | Mar 18, 2016 |
I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked the concept of the collection of poems. Each poem was a humorous act about what happens when you cross an everyday object with an animal. For example, the “umbrellaphant” is an elephant with an umbrella growing from the end of his trunk. However, some of the animal-object mixtures were bizarre and the poems were not enjoyable. For example, “the tearful zipperpotamuses” is a poem about hippos that have zippers for a body. This poem in particular was strange and didn’t make much sense. Additionally, I do not think some of the language is appropriate for the targeted age level. These poems are intended for 4-8 year olds, and the author uses complex descriptors and verbs such as, resplendent, reverberate, circumnavigate, undulate, cacophony, and many more. Generally, it’s beneficial to have a few challenging words in children’s reading, but in this cause, because the poems are already so abstract and abnormal, it doesn’t help that every poem has words that children are entirely unfamiliar with. The only thing I enjoyed about this book was looking at the illustrations. All of the pictures look as if they are paper cut outs. This does help the text, as it makes the tone more friendly and inviting, but it did not help the text enough for me to like it. ( )
  Abeckl1 | Sep 13, 2015 |

Jack Prelutskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berger, CarinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

What do you get when you cross . . .
A toaster with a toad?
A tuba with a baboon?
A clock with an octopus?
A hat with a chicken?
An umbrella with an elephant?

Why . . .
A Pop-up Toadster
A Tubaboon
The Clocktopus
A Hatchicken
and . . .
The Bold Umbrellaphant

And what do you get when you cross this book with a kid?

Why . . .
The Happy Kibook!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

An illustrated collection of humorous poems on a variety of topics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,161,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible