Spontaneous Healing : How to Discover and…

Spontaneous Healing : How to Discover and Embrace Your Body's Natural… (1995)

by Andrew Weil

In this revolutionary book, Dr Andrew Weil shows how the concept of spontaneous healing can change all our lifes for the better. Drawing on his training as a doctor and his in-depth first-hand knowledge of alternative treatments, he describes in clear, accessible language the operation of the body's healing system and the various methods with which we can support its natural ability to maintain and heal itself - not only in our everyday lifes, but also in the face of devastating illness. Dr Andrew Weil suggests practical ways in which all of us can get healthy and fit, providing specific and detailed information: on food, drink and diet; on environmental factors and how to avoid toxins; on exercise and stress reduction; and on vitamins, supplements, herbs and tonics. Numerous case histories provide evidence of the remarkable success of spontaneous healing in dealing with serious medical conditions. SPONTANEOUS HEALING is an essential book for everyone who wishes to lead a healthy life.… (more)

I read this because I was looking for more info about the mind body link as advocated by Dr John Sarno. This has some info about that idea but not a lot and not much practical advice related to it either. I am also sceptical of people who advocate eating naturally and then proceed to tell you to eat supplements of this and that (all of which they of course sell). So quite interesting but didn't speak to me in the way that Dr Sarno's ideas do. ( )
  infjsarah | Jun 5, 2016 |
A comprehensive analysis of the value of various alternative medical treatments is included, along with the book's main topic: how to capitalize on your body's built-in disease-fighting system. Weil outlines a system for achieving maximum health. What distinguishes his work from that of others is that what he proposes seems achievable. With a bachelor's degree in botany and an M.D. from Harvard Medical School, Weil's credibility is enhanced. For those who are disillusioned with establishment medicine, his open-mindedness and healthy critique of both disease-oriented modern medical practice and prevention-oriented alternative therapies is a breath of fresh air. The information is good, the writing is clear, and Weil has contributed a very important book to the body of literature on medical consumerism. (March 1995) ( )
  bookcrazed | Jan 17, 2012 |
I first purchased this book in 1995, at its first publishing. I instantly became a devotee of Andrew Weil, MD. I got the feeling, as I read the book that he genuninely CARES and is NOT only writing books and giving lectures for the money. When I tried some of his suggestions, and saw AMAZING improvement in my own health, I became a true believer - with a testimony! Weil has had an interesting career: he spent quite some time in the Amazon rainforests with native peoples and Shamans there, and experimented with MANY types of herbs and plants (some of which were hallucinogenic!), all in an effort to find some answers to the illnesses that plague western society. His advice mixes Western medicine, with Asian/Eastern medical belief systems and herbs, and South American herbology. A wonderful book, and a book that given to an ill person, will give them HOPE. ( )
  J_Starling | Jan 28, 2009 |
Very structured presentation of natural healing processes with lots of anecdotal evidence. The guide to common herbs and alternative medicine options towards the end of the book makes for a great reference. It's worth internalizing the knowledge contained in the book. ( )
  hooeezit | Apr 3, 2008 |
For Diana
A man whose lungs are filled with cancer is sent home to die, having been told that medicine can do nothing for him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,624,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible