[adapted from book table of contents]
1. Acquitted of murdering a neighbor, tranvestite billionaire Robert Durst remains a suspect in his wife's disappearance.
2. Weeks after returning from combat duty in the Gulf War, Anthony Riggs was killed in a life-insurance scheme hatched by his wife and brother-in-law
3. Bonnie Garland, a student at Yale University, was murdered in her Scarsdale home by fellow student and ex-boyfriend Richard Herrin; the Catholic church spoke out in Herrin's defense.
4. Hockey dad Thomas Junta beat Michael Costin to death after their kids' practice game in Massachusetts.
5. Pulitzer Prize-winning author Norman Mailer helped get Jack Abbott, a convict with literary promise, paroled. Six weeks later, Abbott killed a man and was sent back to prison.
6. Kitty Genovese was repeatedly stabbed on a street in a Queens, New York, neighborhood. No one called the police until after she had been killed.
7. Two British ten-year-olds were charged with the abduction and murder of two-year-old James Bulger in Liverpool.
8. The murder of a married couple went unsolved for four years until Paul Cox confessed to the crime during an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.
9. Hollywood starlet Rebecca Schaeffer was murdered outside her home by a fan who had been stalking her for several years.
10. On a winter day in 1984, Bernie Goetz shot four black teenagers when they approached him on the subway demanding money. Was it self-defense or vigilantism?
11. Death row inmate Karla Faye Tucker underwent a religious transformation and lobbied to have her death sentence commuted. Despite the support of Congressman Newt Gingrich and televangelist Pat Robertson, she was executed in 1998.
12. Robert Chambers strangled Jennifer Levin in New York City's Central Park in what the press quickly dubbed "the preppie murder."
13. A civil jury found White Aryan Resistance founder Tom Metzger and his son guilty of inciting the murder of Ethiopian immigrant Mulugeta Seraw.
14. Candace Newmaker, a ten-year-old Colorado girl, was smothered to death during a rebirthing session with her therapists.
15. Mafia wise guy Louis "Lump Lump" Barone, a regular at the exclusive Harlem eatery Rao's, shot and killed a fellow patron for insulting him.
16. In Milwaukee, eight-year-old Terrance Cottrell was smothered during a church exorcism intended to cure his autism.
17. Californian George Franklin was tried and convicted of the murder of an eight-year-old girl based on his daughter's recovered memory of the crime.
18. Whitey Bulger, head of Boston's Winter Hill Gang, spent decades murdering, robbing, and extorting his neighbors at will, thanks to an old neighbor in the FBI.
19. New Jersey teens Thomas Kosovich and Jason Vreeland ambushed and killed two pizza deliverymen for the "thrill" of it.
20. The Israeli government refused to extradite Samuel Scheinbein, an American teenager charged with murder in Maryland.
21. Diane Whipple, a popular lacrosse coach, was mauled to death by her neighbors' dogs in San Francisco.
22. Cuban boatlift refugee Julio Gonzalez committed the worst mass murder in American history when he set fire to the Happy Land nightclub in the Bronx, killing eighty-seven people.
23. Oklahoma police chemist Joyce Gilchrist's faulty forensic work sent innocent men and women to prison -- and may have cost one man his life.
24. Misogynist Marc Lépine, armed with a semi-automatic rifle, killed fourteen women in an antifeminist tear through a Canadian engineering school.
25. Sixties radical Ira "Unicorn" Einhorm fled the country after police discovered his girlfriend's badly decomposed body inside a trunk in his closet.