The Econocracy: The Perils of Leaving Economics to the Experts

by Joe Earle, Cahal Moran (Author), Zach Ward-Perkins (Author)

One hundred years ago the idea of 'the economy' didn't exist. Now, improving the economy has come to be seen as perhaps the most important task facing modern societies. Politics and policymaking are conducted in the language of economics and economic logic shapes how political issues are thought about and addressed. The result is that the majority of citizens, who cannot speak this language, are locked out of politics while political decisions are increasingly devolved to experts. The econocracy explains how economics came to be seen this way - and the damaging consequences. It opens up the discipline and demonstrates its inner workings to the wider public so that the task of reclaiming democracy can begin.… (more)

Is this really how economy students think? It's not on the curriculum therefore it doesn't exist? None of what I do at my job was on my CS course, how could it have been? You learn that on your own. Maybe you're not really interested in the subject if the extent of your interest is your coursework. We had a Windows admin class on my course, we all laughed at it, passed it and promptly ignored it. It was there because Microsoft was sponsoring the lab. It's a sad situation but no one was claiming it corrupted the students' minds. I guess you'd form a student protest movement but we were pragmatic about it. Maybe it's a generational thing.

That aside, this book is poorly written, paragraphs are not very coherent as if each author took turns alternating at every other sentence or there was a lot of effort to trim the text at the end and some sentences got yanked. Points are repeatedly made and there is no structure to the book - it's like a long rambling speech where the speaker loops round a couple of times because his pages get mixed up during the reading. It claims to set out to do so much yet it mostly complains about how conservative adults are and how the students' liberal views are being disregarded. I know you guys are young but come on, do you need this explained? ( )
  Paul_S | Dec 23, 2020 |

Joe Earleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moran, CahalAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ward-Perkins, ZachAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,634,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible