I Will Fear No Evil by Robert A. Heinlein

I Will Fear No Evil (original 1970; edition 1989)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Written at the dawn of the 1970s, this Heinlein novel concerns an extremely rich, fairly old tycoon who is trying to "take it all with him." His solution is to have his mind transplanted into the body of his recently deceased secretary. Once there, he finds that her mind remains active, and together they learn to share control of her body.… (more)
Member:dennymeta
Title:I Will Fear No Evil
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:New English Library Ltd (1989), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 416 pages

I Will Fear No Evil by Robert A. Heinlein (1970)

English (30)  Italian (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (33)
Heinlein was my number-one favorite author in the past, so I got for completeness, but couldn't bring myself to read it - just not that interested in Heinlein's sexual fantasies.
  librisissimo | Feb 9, 2019 |
The last of the huge stack of Heinlein books lent to me by my friend Wayne ages and ages ago. Now I can send them back and clear some space on my borrowed books shelf for the stacks of books my sister sent in her last package. (But more are sure to arrive any day now, which means I will be behind again.)

What can I say about Heinlein that I haven't already said? Other than that I'm starting to max out on him. There's only so much immortal life/free-sex commune/space colonization sci fi you can read before it all starts to sound a little bit repetitive.

This book starts out with an interesting premise, which is what would happen if you could transplant a male brain into a female body? Which of course, ends up being a 512 page tome on the difference between men and women, specifically men and women who prefer to have sex six times a day. For which sex is sex better? Which sex is more rational? Some of his answers are interesting, some provoked a lot of eye-rolling on my part. But what else would I expect from Heinlein? ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
This was a tough read. I have very little experience with Heinlein and I started with this book both because it was the first in sequence in the Virginia Edition and because it was so universally reviled that I figured I'd take a stab and see what all the fuss was about.

I greatly enjoyed the first hundred pages or so. The book still felt a bit edgy to me, even 50 years after it was written. I found Heinlein's core concept to be strong and compelling. The oft-criticized misogyny didn't upset me, as I personally believe it to have been a deliberate plot device. I don't write spoilers in my reviews, so I won't elaborate on that point other than to say that it felt natural in context so while it was a bit off-putting in 2016, it didn't cause me much grief.

Unfortunately, the writing did. The bulk of the book takes place as an internal dialogue/monologue and even if there was a conceivable plot-related reason for one side of that exchange to be very weakly-written, it still made for a difficult read.

Ultimately, however, what killed it for me was the fact that...nothing ever...ever...actually happened. I don't require a lot of conflict to be extant in order to enjoy a book. I've relished some pretty slow-burn stream-of-consciousness story arcs in my time. But eventually I just lost all desire to finish this book due to an utter lack of conflict and, thereby, resolution. I was uncomfortable at several points during the very awkwardly-written sexual exchanges, but that was easy to gloss over or just deal with.

The lack of any discernible plot or compelling story, coupled with the extremely weak dialogue, was impossible to get past. I'm sad to say this is the first book in over a year that I had to put down 100 pages before the end. Just couldn't find the will to go on. Still awarding it three stars, for the audacity of the concept and execution..and because I really enjoyed the first 25%. But I do wish I'd chosen a better jumping-off point to dive into Heinlein as an adult. ( )
  Daninsky | Aug 19, 2017 |
This book was fucking torture. At first I was interested, expecting the change to send me for a ride. No, just a whole bunch of boring and pretentious conversations. ( )
  RobVel | Jan 20, 2017 |
Don't remember much about it really, but I am sure I liked it. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |

Heinlein, Robert A.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heinlein, Robert A.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Giancola, DonatoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warhola, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Rex and Kathleen
The room was old-fashioned, 1980 baroque, but it was wide, long, high, and luxurious.

Johann Sebastian Bach Smith was immensely rich and very old. His mind was keen, but his body was worn out. So surgeons transplanted his brain into a new body. The operation was a great success - but the patient was no longer Johann Sebastian Bach Smith. He was now fused with the very vocal personality of his gorgeous secretary, Eunice - with mind-blowing results!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,621,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible