Ginny Moon: A Novel by Benjamin Ludwig

Ginny Moon: A Novel (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Benjamin Ludwig (Author)

Member:Deelightful
Title:Ginny Moon: A Novel
Authors:Benjamin Ludwig (Author)
Info:Park Row (2017), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, autism

Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig (2017)

I struggled with this book. It's told from the point of view of Ginny. She's a 14 year old girl with autism who has been abused and neglected by her mother and mother's boyfriend before being adopted. I think it is very difficult to write characters with autism without them coming across as comical or someone to pity. I wished the book had some points of view of other characters especially Maura, her "Forever Mom" and Patrice, her counselor. ( )
  strandbooks | May 31, 2018 |
Nope Nope Nope
Where to begin? I'm not going to argue with the way main character Ginny was portrayed. She was the only genuine and believable character in this wayyyy-too-mushy story about a teen girl on the autism spectrum. It's everyone and everything else I've got issues with. The lack of support for a child who's experienced the kind of trauma this girl has just floored me. The therapist - and a talk therapist at that - sharing information that was crucial for the safety of another child and that should have been held in strict confidence. The classroom aides and coach sending a student with a history of running away to the bathroom alone. And the biggest one of all a girl who managed to kill two cats was able to care for an infant for a year without any problems . From the author's bio I learned that he and his wife had fostered and adopted a teenaged girl with autism so I have to think he has real-life experience and drew on it writing this book. But it's just so far removed from my own experience and what I've learned in support groups, autism programs, and from therapists that I could hardly believe my ears. Why did I finish it? Aside from how well the audiobook narration was done, I honestly don't know. ( )
  wandaly | May 6, 2018 |
With the authentic voice of a fourteen year-old autistic girl, this story is both heartbreaking and redemptive. Any teen must find their voice as they grow up, but how can Ginny Moon when her voice is so unique? When her adoptive parents are about to have a baby, the tensions run high because Ginny is unpredictable and focused on saving her Baby Doll from her birth mother. The reader can only root for Ginny, hoping she finds her voice and happiness. ( )
  RachelMKelly | Mar 15, 2018 |
Finally - a female Holden Caulfield comes along. Ginny Moon is misunderstood by grown-ups; and thoroughly unimpressed by them. Yet she copes in her magnificently unique, autistic way. ( )
  MeredithMay | Mar 7, 2018 |
What an absolutely wonderful book! From the very first page, this novel had my heart. I adored Ginny. The author did such an amazing job portraying her and making her come to life. While I'm no expert in working with people with autism, from my experience interacting with them, I can say that the author's depiction was pretty spot on! And on top of being so accurate, the author also created a very unique and interesting voice for Ginny. Her story is heartbreaking and I was tense throughout the entire book, as I saw Ginny struggle to find her place. This novel isn't just about Ginny. This novel is about the concept of family and the different ways it can present itself: as an abusive mother, as an absent father who believes in forgiveness, as a foster family that is trying to maintain normalcy in a situation that defies normal. And it's beautiful and tragic and amazing to see how it all works out. I can't stop talking about how much I loved this novel and I don't want to keep repeating myself so all I will say is that this novel will touch your heart and give you an interesting perspective on the term "family". I hope everyone will give this novel a shot because it is absolutely worth the time and effort!

I received this novel as an advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
For my wife, Ember, whose heart was open.
The plastic electronic baby won't stop crying.

Meet Ginny Moon. She's mostly your average teenager—she plays flute in the school band, has weekly basketball practice and reads Robert Frost poems for English class. But Ginny is autistic. And so what's important to her might seem a bit…different: starting every day with exactly nine grapes for breakfast, Michael Jackson, taking care of her baby doll and crafting a Big Secret Plan of escape.

Ginny has been in foster care for years, and for the first time in her life, she has found her "forever home"—a place where she'll be safe and protected, with a family who will love and nurture her. Though this is exactly the kind of home that all foster kids are hoping for, Ginny has other plans. She'll steal and lie and reach across her past to exploit the good intentions of those who love her—anything it takes to get back what's missing in her life. She'll even try to get herself kidnapped.

Told in an extraordinary and wholly original voice, The Original Ginny Moon is at once quirky, charming, bighearted, poignant and yet also heartbreaking and a bit dark. It's a story of a journey, about being an outsider trying to find a place to belong and about making sense of a world that just doesn't seem to add up.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 03 Dec 2016 17:19:02 -0500)

"Meet Ginny Moon. She's mostly your average teenager--she plays flute in the high school band, has weekly basketball practice, and reads Robert Frost poems in English class. But Ginny is autistic ... After being traumatically taken from her abusive birth mother and moved around to different homes, Ginny has finally found her 'forever home'--a safe place with parents who will love and nurture her. This is exactly what all foster kids are hoping for, right? But Ginny has other plans. She'll steal and lie and exploit the good intentions of those who love her--anything it takes to get back what's missing in her life. She'll even try to get herself kidnapped"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,808,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible