HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Legion of Flame (2017)

by Anthony Ryan

Series: The Draconis Memoria (2)

Survival is the only currency...   For centuries, the vast Ironship Trading Syndicate relied on drake blood--and the extraordinary powers it confers to those known as the Blood-blessed--to fuel and protect its empire. But when the drake blood lines began to fail, a perilous expedition was mounted to secure them.   Claydon Torcreek survived the fraught mission through uncharted lands in pursuit of a myth that might have secured his people's future. Instead he found a nightmare. The legendary White Drake was awoken from a millennia-long slumber, with a thirst to reduce the world of men to ashes, and the power to compel an army of Spoiled slaves to do it.   Spurred on by a vision he desperately hopes he can trust, Clay and rebel naval officer Corrick Hilemore hijack a warship and head towards the icy southern seas, searching for an ancient secret that may give them and their allies a fighting chance. They are aided on another front by Blood-blessed agent Lizanne Lethridge. The spy and assassin will use her diplomatic status to infiltrate deep into enemy territory on a quest for a device to save them all.   As the world burns around them, and the fires of revolution are ignited, these few Blood-blessed are the last hope for all of civilisation.… (more)

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
Book 2 picks up right where book 1 left off. Lizanne Lethridge, the blood blessed special agent is the Bond type agent, off to save the world while working behind enemy lines. Claydon Torcreek and Lt. Hilemore are off the the southern ice sea, trying to find a legend that will help them solve the mystery of what's coming to take over the world.
This features a very familiar feeling magic system featuring red/green/blue/black effects based on dragon's blood, late 19th century guns and cannon battles and dragons. Not terribly original, but not bad. ( )
  Karlstar | Feb 7, 2021 |
Suffers from Second Book Syndrome in that it really isn't a standalone story and doesn't have a concrete narrative arc. The book suffers from basically being setup and build up for book 3.

I still like the setting and I liked having the world fleshed out a bit more. I especially liked the parts with the view of the Spoiled army and the drakes. Other parts, like the prison, seemed to drag on and on and on. ( )
  kaitlynn_g | Dec 13, 2020 |
It's a good read but a far cry from the first in the series.
The characters are carried over from the first book, which is a good thing. Hilemore is somewhat underused and there are large portions where we don't hear about him... I can say that I enjoyed his sections the least - plus the world has changed so much I wonder if he has a place in it. Anyway, the main focus is on Lizanne and Clay, with both having sections that are action-packed with threads of intrigue wrought throughout. Sirus is a nice addition, giving us much needed perspective from the other side of the main conflict.
The plot moves forward at a fair clip, definitely not plodding - but I don't think it's going to light the world on fire with its originality. It's a little disappointing actually that we're headed towards a typical fantasy 'end of the world' trope. The first book didn't really indicate that.

Right, the main problem I have with this book is Anthony's insistence that nearly every chapter ends with a cliffhanger. The trouble with this is that it's a writer's artifice. It's done to pull you forward to the next chapter. But he does it a LOT. It is very noticeable. And every time he does it - you know the character is going to pull off a miraculous recovery and escape or turn the tide. This crushes any tension you might feel about the character's situation.
It's always the same question. Oh oh, how will they survive this? Tune in next week to find out kids! Ugh.
Hope the third book picks up again. ( )
  Jawin | Aug 18, 2018 |
Well I got this on Friday or Saturday and finished it early (like 4:00am) Monday. So that kind of speaks for how much I liked it. Not perfect but pretty darn good. I need sleep now. I will write a real review on the blog and here soon. ( )
  Trevorsherman | Oct 25, 2017 |
THE LEGION OF FLAME picks up pretty much where THE WAKING FIRE left off and continues to follow Lizanne, Clay, and Hilemore. Lizanne is back home and is immediately sent on a spy/peace mission to the Corvantine Empire. Clay and Hilemore are still in Arradasia and are voyaging to the South Pole in an attempt to figure out how to save the world from the increasingly more likely dragon apocalypse. We also have some new PoV characters that provide more insight into the White dragon's plans, I won't say more about them to avoid spoilers.

I always find it hard to review sequels since (usually) pretty much everything about the first book applies to the sequel as well and I wouldn't be reading the book at all if I hadn't liked the first book. THE LEGION OF FLAME definitely expands the world, we see Mandinor and more of the Corvantine Empire (we do still have some insight into what's happening in Arradasia though the new viewpoints). We learn more about dragons, their origins, and the history of the world, which I thought was pretty cool. I had some guesses about that and I was glad to see them vindicated.

My favorite plotline in the book was probably Lizanne's, her mission has a very Escape from New York vibe to it and it's fun to see her badassery grow. Clay and Hilemore get the more interesting worldbuilding though, and I liked that each of the viewpoints told a different kind of story. There are also some in-universe newspaper articles, etc. at various points, and I always enjoy those.

Overall, I thought THE LEGION OF FLAME was a solid sequel. However it does end on a cliffhanger, so I'm impatiently waiting for book 3. ( )
  kgodey | Jul 30, 2017 |

Anthony Ryanprimary authorall editionscalculated
West, SteveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Voor Robin, Norman en Nick,
omdat we ooit samen de goede strijd zijn aangegaan.
De welgestelde familie Dauwemeine rouwt vandaag, na het tragische overlijden van haar meest gevierde dochter: de ooit zo beeldschone en charmante Cathelijne, vijfentwintig jaar oud.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,634,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible