My Life with Bob: Flawed Heroine Keeps Book…

My Life with Bob: Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot Ensues (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Pamela Paul (Author)

Member:bogopea
Title:My Life with Bob: Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot Ensues
Authors:Pamela Paul (Author)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2017), 256 pages
Collections:My Book Reviews
Rating:*****

My Life with Bob: Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot Ensues by Pamela Paul (2017)

Original, witty, for passionate readers. This book makes me want to read deeply again. Life's busy-ness has too often gotten in the way for me, but I am newly inspired by "Bob." The first half reads like a coming-of-age. Then the author relates her adult adventures in travel, love, motherhood and loss, woven through her life as a reader. I especially enjoyed her description of hate-reading. ( )
  AnneMichaud | Jul 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There is hardly a page in this book that doesn't have something underlined. For me, someone who is so anal-retentive about books that even my non-reader friends tease me about it, this is a huge deal. But, if you're a lifelong reader like I am, there are so many wonderful, insightful, yes-I-do-this-too, it's-not-just-me kind of things that after two chapters I just had to break out a pencil and start marking this up. It's a joy! I took my time reading this, and even so, it seemed too short. I've already purchased a hard copy and given two copies as gifts for no reason, that's how much I love this book. Pamela's sharp, self-deprecating wit, and her perfect wording for teenage/young 20's angst is so outstanding. How can one person be so specific in talking about books and her life that it feels universal? That's the kind of bookish, readerly magic that you'll find in these pages. Simply wonderful, and the best thing I've read so far this year. ( )
  LauraBrook | Jul 1, 2017 |
As a lifelong bibliophile I devoured this book. Pamela Paul's essays about the transformative power books have on our lives rang true with me, from meticulously keeping track of all the books read to finding the right book when you need to judging people by books they do or don't love, I knew exactly what she meant. I do the same things and feel the same way. At times the author could almost come off as a bit pretentious with her literary classics and disdain for mass market popular paperbacks, but it's clearly not her intention. While I do not have such high brow reading tastes (I read all over the spectrum; from self published smut to feminist essays to pulp fiction, I'm an equal opportunity reader and once I start a book I never put it down), I could see where she was coming from. I too was in awe of the library as a kid, I took a book everywhere I went (still do) and I still feel a righteous zeal when I'm endorsing a book I absolutely love to everyone. A great book for bibliophiles, librarians, and writers. ( )
  ecataldi | Jun 21, 2017 |
My Life with Bob
I knew I would love this book. I listen to Pamela Paul each week as she leads a podcast for the New York Times Book Review. Her personality is at once self-deprecating, but again sure and confident of her ability to lead the conversation. Reading her memoir has been a pleasure. The literary technique she uses is to frame each segment in her life around the books she was reading at the time. Bob is her Book of Books, a listing of all the books she has read since age 16. So with the record in hand, she carefully unfolds the story of her teen years through her adult years in a way that is at once engaging and familiar.
Favorite Quote
Page 237
Ultimately, the line between writer and reader blurs. Where, after all, does the story one person puts on a page end and the person who reads those pages and makes them her own begin? To whom do books belong? The books we read and the books we write are both ours and not ours. They’re also theirs.
This makes all of us spies among friends. When we read, we are spying on someone else’s imagination and inhabiting it; the authors and their characters are momentarily our friends, even if they betray us, or we them. Even if we dislike the book or give it a negative review or give the book away when we’re done. We peer into the lives they lived and the lives they conjured out of observation and inventiveness, dipping into them and then departing from their pages taking with us what we will. ( )
  beebeereads | Jun 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My Life with Bob, is a memoir about reading, books, and how books that Pamela Paul has read connected to her life at the time. Each chapter features a book that is recorded in her book of books, her "Bob", and each chapter is also about a phase of her life.
Few of us have the discipline to record every last volume we read, and the wisdom to reflect on what they mean to us. For a serious reader, this book about a book about books is a great book. ( )
  mykl-s | Jun 8, 2017 |
To my family of readers, and in memory of my father
Like anyone else with a marriage and a home and children and family and work, and more work, I always have something to worry about.
I read to be transported.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Pamela Paul's book My Life with Bob is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,196,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible