The Wanted by Robert Crais

The Wanted (2017)

by Robert Crais

Quirky duo of villains
Review of the 2018 Putnam paperback edition

You don't really expect much in the way of surprises in the Elvis Cole series at this point. Elvis is his standard wise-cracking self, his cat is still ornery, his partner Joe Pike is still laconic, the clients are flawed but may achieve redemption through the services of Elvis & Joe etc. But it is like returning to the comfortable acquaintance of an old friend that you haven't seen in a year.

What stood out for me here was the odd pair of hit-men villains. They are psychopaths of course, but there is whole world of unstated back story that you can fill in for them based on the occasional rare sentimental or merciful feelings that are expressed. You don't expect that in what are usually cardboard cut-out roles. ( )
  alanteder | Jan 9, 2019 |
In the darkness, everyone is alone.

None to speak to you but silence,
The quiet of words unspoken,
An old friend scarce known.
A silence we dread to see broken,
Yet somehow constantly bemoan.

None to bother you but fears,
The dread of rejection and failure,
To which every man is prone.
Fears that are part of our nature,
Yet we can so rarely atone.

None to haunt you but ghosts,
Wraiths of chances botched or missed,
Of failings we cannot condone.
Ghosts that somehow persist,
Dragging us down unbeknown.

And none to visit you but dreams
Hopes of better days to come,
Of one day sitting on a throne.
Dreams of a future not so glum,
In which we no longer are alone.

By MySelfie ( )
1 vote antao | Sep 15, 2018 |
This is another enjoyable offering in the Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series. It captured my attention right from the beginning and maintained it through to the end. The multi-dimensional portrayal of the two killers hired to retrieve a stolen laptop was exceptionally well-done. They came off the page as real people. I wondered what life experiences led Stemms to become a killer for hire rather than a musician.

Despite my positive reaction, “The Wanted” was disappointing in some ways. The plot revolves around the efforts of two hired killers, Stemms and Harvey, who are trying to retrieve a stolen laptop. The thieves are rank amateurs, a young man and a high school boy and girl, who have conducted a string of 18 burglaries in an elite area of town. They roam around during the evening looking for a house with no one home and an unlocked door or open window. The house from which they steal the laptop is owned by a multi-millionaire businessman who owns an internationally respected security company. Ask yourself, how plausible is it that the house of a security expert would be so vulnerable that these kids could just walk in and help themselves cash, jewelry, and electronic equipment. I know this is fiction, but rank absurdity bothers me.

The plot of “The Wanted” also suffers from Crais’ predictability. It is completely obvious to anyone who has read the earlier novels in this series that Amber, the female thief, will escape from the protection Cole has provided and place herself in grave danger, necessitating a heroic rescue by Cole. It is also close to certain—bet on it— that either Cole, Pike, or both will sustain a gunshot wound, broken bones, or other serious injury during the climactic confrontation.

Finally, I was disappointed that Joe Pike is relegated to a cameo in “The Wanted.” The most satisfying books in this series provide him with a more substantial role.

The thoughtful attention given to Stemms and Harvey was exceptional, but “The Wanted” failed to achieve its potential because of the above-mentioned shortcomings. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the book and eagerly await the next entry in this series. ( )
  Tatoosh | Aug 18, 2018 |
It has been almost two years since I read the last book in this series but meeting Elvis Cole and Joe Pike again was like being reunited with a couple of old friends. I have always like this series even though he last couple of books seemed to be repeats of the same theme. This one has broken that mold and we are right back in those long ago early days with the "World's Greatest Detective", as Elvis's business cards read. The story runs smoothly with our hero, Elvis at the center. The only negative thing I could really find with the book was that Elvis's sense of humor doesn't come across as well as in previous books, plus I would like to have seen more of Joe Pike. Overall... it's a very good read. ( )
  Carol420 | Aug 17, 2018 |
I usually like his books and it was interesting. However, did not find the characters as interesting ( )
  shazjhb | Aug 16, 2018 |
For my friend Otto Penzler a steady hand in an unsteady world

It seemed like a simple case—before the bodies starting piling up. Investigator Elvis Cole and his partner, Joe Pike, take on the deadliest case of their lives, in the new masterpiece of suspense from the #1 New York Times–bestselling author

When single mother Devon Connor hires private investigator Elvis Cole, it’s because her troubled teenage son Tyson is flashing cash and she’s afraid he’s dealing drugs. But the truth is devastatingly different. With two other partners in crime, he’s been responsible for a string of high-end burglaries, a crime spree that takes a deadly turn when one of them is murdered and Tyson and his girlfriend disappear.
            They stole the wrong thing from the wrong man. Determined to get it back, he has hired a team that is smart and brutal, and to even the odds, Cole calls in his friends Joe Pike and Jon Stone. But even they may be overmatched. The hired killers are leaving a trail of bodies in their wake. A few more won’t make any difference.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 22 Dec 2016 17:35:58 -0500)

"It seemed like a simple case--before the bodies starting piling up. Investigator Elvis Cole and his partner, Joe Pike, take on the deadliest case of their lives. When single mother Devon Connor hires private investigator Elvis Cole, it's because her troubled teenage son Tyson is flashing cash and she's afraid he's dealing drugs. But the truth is devastatingly different. With two other partners in crime, he's been responsible for a string of high-end burglaries, a crime spree that takes a deadly turn when one of them is murdered and Tyson and his girlfriend disappear. They stole the wrong thing from the wrong man. Determined to get it back, he has hired a team that is smart and brutal, and to even the odds, Cole calls in his friends Joe Pike and Jon Stone. But even they may be overmatched. The hired killers are leaving a trail of bodies in their wake. A few more won't make any difference"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,209,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible