Killashandra by Anne McCaffrey

Killashandra (original 1985; edition 1986)

by Anne McCaffrey

Killashandra Ree, a member of the Heptite Guild, travels to Optheria to replace and tune a famous organ's crystals, but is kidnapped by rebel forces.
Member:marphod
Title:Killashandra
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Info:Del Rey (1986), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Novel, Science Fiction, Library

Killashandra by Anne McCaffrey (1985)

Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffrey (Cymro17)
    Cymro17: A good read as are the other books in the series.

Killashandra Ree's life was one of catastrophic changes. She had joined the Heptite Guild to become a crystal singer, get rich, and forget her past. And at first everything went just as she had hoped. In one season on the deadly beautiful world of Ballybran, she had sung Black Crystal, grown wealthy, and met a man who made her sorrows seem unworthy of notice.

But then, a year later, a devastating storm turned her claim to useless rock. In short order she was broke, she had crystal sickness so bad she thought she'd die, and the only way she could be true to the man she loved was to leave him. ( )
  Gmomaj | Aug 29, 2020 |
This is the second book in the Crystal Singer trilogy. ( )
  gypsysmom | Oct 31, 2018 |
blase, milquetoast ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The real meat of the story. The first volume was more like a Prologue, and the third was an Afterword, but this second installment in the trilogy is where interesting things happen. I'm still not a big fan of the main character, but she was more intriguing here and I could see the beginnings of the person she becomes in the third book. There are still things that were a mystery to me (e.g. why keep on about the crystal singers losing memory if that doesn't really happen to her yet?), but mostly this was just an entertaining tale. I may pick up the third book again as I think I'll get more out of it having read the previous two now (these books do not make sense as stand-alones; very much a complete story only if all three volumes read). ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
I'll admit it. Anne McCaffrey is a guilty secret I've had for years, starting with the Dragonriders of Pern. Honestly, I couldn't tell you why I read her stuff. I don't think she's a particularly good writer, and I find most of her female characters as histrionic as Lestat in Ann Rice's books. They're essentially sci-fi bodice-rippers. The dialog is generally awful. But I'll pick them up every time if they're lying around the house. I can't even honestly recommend them. For me, they're a time-killer, and I like the sci-fi setting. And, sometimes, that's all you need. Probably a good airplane read. ( )
  GoThouGeekly | Jun 17, 2012 |
Ce livre tient amplement ses promesses, plus passionnant que jamais. La puissance d'évocation de Mc Caffrey est intacte, on imagine tout à fait la planète Ophtéria, ses îles paradisiaques et son régime totalitaire... Pas de doute, ce livre se dévore d'une traite !

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Weston, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is gratefully dedicated to Ron and Chris Massey of the Tidmarsh Stud, near Maidenhatch, and their Arabian friends, Ben, BC, Racqui, Linda and Winnie
Winters on Ballybran were generally mild, so the fury of the first spring storms as they howled across the land was ever unexpected.

From the inside flap:

CONFLICTING INTERESTS

"Lanzecki, I wouldn't put it past you to try to sucker me into another job like that Trundomoux black-crystal installation."
"I'm not, Killashandra. I'm just warning you of the disadvantages to an assignment that involves a long absence from the planet Ballybran." His expression changed subtly. "I'd rather not be professionally at odds with you. It interferes with my private life."
His dark eyes caught hers. His lips curving in the one-sided smile she found so affecting, he reached for her hand.
Her smile answered his. Together they rose form the table.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,757,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible