Final Girls: A Novel by Riley Sager

Final Girls: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Riley Sager (Author)

Member:dcoward
Title:Final Girls: A Novel
Authors:Riley Sager (Author)
Info:Dutton (2018), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Adult, Fiction, Suspense

Final Girls: A Novel by Riley Sager

English (63)  German (1)  All languages (64)
Two stories are told in Final Girls. The night of Pine Cottage, the massacre Quincy lived through, and the life Quincy lives now, ten years later. The chapters typically tend to alternate one after each other, with a few exceptions. I found myself really loving the Pine Cottage story but not being interested in Quincy’s current story.

The story of Pine Cottage was full of mystery because Quincy had a block in her memory that didn’t allow her to remember what had happened that night. We had no idea what was going to happen and neither did Quincy. We were living that night with her as her memories returned. It was mysterious, thrilling, and kept me on the edge of my seat. Those chapters were definitely my favorite.

The story of current day Quincy is also full of mystery, but full of one that just fell flat. The events were extremely formulaic in the first 150 pages. I felt like I was reading the same chapter over and over and over. The mystery was somehow both the main focus but it also … wasn’t. It was constructed incredibly strangely. I feel like we spent more time on her relationship with Sam, Jeff, Coop, and Jonah than we did on the actual mystery. There were a few moments that should have held suspense but I just rolled my eyes at. The climax of the book was surprising to me, but it wasn’t something I felt very strongly about either way.

I really didn’t enjoy any of the characters, which may have played a very strong role in why I didn’t enjoy the current day story because it was very character driven. There was character development for a few characters smushed together at the end of the book and I’m not sure how the author intended me to feel but I felt very underwhelmed.

Overall, Final Girls wasn’t for me. I believe I may have expected something closer to the Pine Cottage chapters or a story of a killer back on the loose, but this wasn’t that. ( )
  thedreamcarriers | Oct 4, 2018 |
My true rating is more like a 3.75 because while I truly enjoyed this thriller, it was slow to start. It wasn't until I reached around pg 183 that I was fully engaged in the plot and could not put it down. Once it picked up the pace, my eyes were glued to the page. In true Riley Sager fashion, Final Girls is full of twists and turns and keeps you guessing until the very end. ( )
  LindsTee | Sep 21, 2018 |
The Final Girls is about three women Lisa, Sam and Quincy who all survived mass murders. Lisa dies in mysterious circumstances when Sam who has been in hiding for years suddenly shows up.

I ordered this book from the library because it has a lot of hype and it sounded interesting. As with books that have a lot of hype I have high expectations and this time I have been left feeling disappointed.

The story itself sounded interesting and for a lot of the book I was quite invested. Told from Quincy who is a very unreliable narrator as she cannot remember a lot about what happened at Pine Cottage. The reader has to get to the end of the book to find out what did. It was the ending for me that let the whole book down. The reasons why and by who turned out to be quite unbelievable.

I enjoyed some of the book but not all of it. There was also parts in the middle of the book when Sam comes on the scene that I just could not get to grips with. Saying what exactly will give the story away and I don't want to do that for somebody who may enjoy the book. For me however I was left disappointed. I do enjoy books told by an unreliable narrator but like a satisfactory ending which makes the read worthwhile. ( )
  tina1969 | Sep 21, 2018 |
Great suspense and tons of twists and turns. Great characters with lots of baggage. Really enjoyed this to the end. ( )
  caanderson | Sep 3, 2018 |
Final Girls, written under the pseudonym Riley Sager, is another entry into the popular: “Unreliable female narrator has no memory after a tragic event, and tries to figure out what occurred while battling substance abuse, only to discover that her trust in others has been betrayed” premise that so many mysteries are employing these days. Sager adds to this familiar plot the titular concept of the “Final Girls,” a nickname given by the press to three survivors of horrific past mass murder sprees. Quincy Carpenter, one of those three former victims, does not remember most of the events from that terrifying night. Ten years later, she seems to be doing quite well- she has a popular baking website, a loving boyfriend and plenty of lawsuit money to live comfortably. She has remained friends with the policeman who came to her rescue, and he is the one who informs her that another one of the “Final Girls” has recently committed suicide. Quincy and Lisa had never met in person, but as fellow survivors they supported each other. The third member of the group, Samantha, went into hiding and had not been seen in a long while. When Sam unexpectedly shows up at Quinn’s apartment to meet her for the first time, she wants to discuss Lisa’s death and Quinn ends up taking her in. Sam has apparently been living a rough existence, homeless and still haunted by her own experience with a killer. Sam soon takes it upon herself to try to shake up Quinn’s peaceful existence by helping her remember what she had endured. Fueled by too much prescription medication and alcohol, Quinn starts receiving flashbacks that reveal some truths that she would have preferred to keep buried in the recesses of her mind. Through Quincy and Sam’s characters, Sager explores what it means to “survive,” and if repression can really be sustained as a protective measure over the long term. The author questions if a person can undergo such a traumatic experience and still go on to live a “normal” life. Final Girls is a fast-paced and exciting read, one that will appeal to fans of Gone Girl, Girl on a Train and The Woman in the Window. ( )
  jnmegan | Aug 19, 2018 |

"Ten years ago, college student Quincy Carpenter went on vacation with five friends and came back alone, the only survivor of a horror movie-scale massacre. In an instant, she became a member of a club no one wants to belong--a group of similar survivors known in the press as the Final Girls ... Now, Quincy is doing well ... That is, until Lisa, the first Final Girl, is found dead in her bathtub, wrists slit, and Sam, the second, appears on Quincy's doorstep"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,284,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible