London Road: Linked Stories by Tessa Smith…

London Road: Linked Stories

by Tessa Smith McGovern

This little book starts with Janice, recently released from prison for manslaughter with no plans and no friends. She's heard vaguely about a boarding house that will take in people like her, so she heads that way. It turn out to be a lucky break.

All these stories are short, just little glimpses into one day of the life of the residents of the London Road boarding house. But together, those glimpses add up to a complex picture. I quite liked this book and I would love to read more by this author. ( )
  cmbohn | Jun 11, 2017 |
I was confused at times with these short stories. I couldn't quite work out what was happening. The stories were really quite short. You barely started to get into the stories and they were finished. That being said, the writing was good. The stories themselves were interesting. I'm just not a fan of too short stories. ( )
  somethingblanc | Mar 25, 2017 |
London Road: Linked Stories, Vol. 1 by Tessa Smith McGovern is more than a collection of short stories; it is a collection of stories about a group of women. Their lives are linked by the boarding house in London where they live and Nora, the woman who owns it.

The collection starts with Janice being released from prison. She arrives at the boarding house and is greeted by the land lady Nora. Nora is kind and supportive but lives in her own fantasy and writes romance novels. She is also obsessed with the Queen. Distracted by other things, she completely forgets to collect her daughter, Anna, from netball.

Mandy is on probation after being caught for shop lifting. She is tempted to go back to her old ways.

Bitty, is waiting in a restaurant for her boyfriend, expecting him to break up with her. Her roommate, Isobel, is having psychological problems as well as a difficult relationship with her mother who is an unsuccessful actress.

My summary of the characters makes the book sound a bit disjointed but the way Tessa Smith McGovern writes the stories they move smoothly from one to the next. Despite the brevity, the reader becomes intimately drawn in to their lives. So much so that at times I felt I was eavesdropping on a private conversation or even spying on a person’s private struggle.

I would love to see a follow up book with these characters and discover how they cope with their inner demons and troubled relationships.

I received this book in exchanged for an honest review.

Thoroughly enjoyable, I give London Road 4*

This review is also available on my website www.pam.id.au ( )
  Hostie13 | Mar 23, 2017 |
I don't normally read short stories, so it took me a few chapters to understand the dynamic of a short story. London Road: Linked Stories brings 7 characters together. They are linked by their residence at a boarding house run by Nora. They are linked by a hot summer day in which each character struggles to come to terms with their hang ups and inadequacies. For me Nora was the key character. While living in a fantasy world of her own, she was able to emerge to provide empathy and compassion for the other boarders. I liked the book.
  keepfitz | Feb 28, 2017 |
Like other reviews, it took a little time to start seeing where the author was going with these but once that had been figured out, these little snapshots were quite engaging and sometimes endearing. She has a good descriptive style as well, bringing the various characters to life. And I did like the choice of perspective, doing each story as the point of view of one of each of the people in the house. I would definitely read this author again. ( )
  apex157x | Feb 1, 2017 |
Like other reviews, it took a little time to start seeing where the author was going with these but once that had been figured out, these little snapshots were quite engaging and sometimes endearing. She has a good descriptive style as well, bringing the various characters to life. And I did like the choice of perspective, doing each story as the point of view of one of each of the people in the house. I would definitely read this author again. I received a copy of this book from LibaryThing.com in exchange for an honest review.
added by apex157x | editLibraryThing, Apex157x (Feb 1, 2017)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Tessa Smith McGovern's book London Road: Linked Stories is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Tessa Smith McGovern is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,318,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible