The Simplicity of Cider: A Novel by Amy E.…

The Simplicity of Cider: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Amy E. Reichert (Author)

"Fall in love with The Simplicity of Cider, the charming new novel about a prickly but gifted cider-maker whose quiet life is interrupted by the arrival of a handsome man and his young son at her family's careworn orchard by the author of The Coincidence of Coconut Cake and Luck, Love & Lemon Pie. Focused and unassuming fifth generation cider-maker Sanna Lund has one desire: to live a simple, quiet life on her family's apple orchard in Door County, Wisconsin. Although her business is struggling, Sanna remains fiercely devoted to the orchard, despite her brother's attempts to convince their aging father to sell the land. Single dad Isaac Banks has spent years trying to shield his son Sebastian from his troubled mother. Fleeing heartbreak at home, Isaac packed up their lives and the two headed out on an adventure, driving across the country. Chance--or fate--led them straight to Sanna's orchard. Isaac's helping hands are much appreciated at the apple farm, even more when Sanna's father is injured in an accident. As Sanna's formerly simple life becomes increasingly complicated, she finds solace in unexpected places--friendship with young Sebastian and something more deliciously complex with Isaac--until an outside threat infiltrates the farm. From the warm and funny Amy E. Reichert, The Simplicity of Cider is a charming love story with a touch of magic, perfect for fans of Sarah Addison Allen and Gayle Forman"--… (more)
Member:teachlz
Title:The Simplicity of Cider: A Novel
Authors:Amy E. Reichert (Author)
Info:Gallery Books (2017), 336 pages
Rating:*****

The Simplicity of Cider: A Novel by Amy E. Reichert

I like her books. They are not great literature and are not brilliant or even thought provoking. That said the situations, people and definitely the food sparkly. There was also a recipe included. I would like to go to Door county in the summer, sit on the lake and drink cider. So it was a lovely read. ( )
  shazjhb | May 14, 2019 |
I was excited to be approved by NetGalley to read and review this book.

This book pulled me in right from the start, Isaac and his son Sebastian (Bass) are on a road trip, Isaac is looking for a diversion and avoiding telling Bass some awful news about his Mom. The two are traveling from California and taking odd jobs along the way. They end up at the Apple Orchard in Door County, Wisconsin. I have always wanted to visit that part of the country so I was quite happy about the setting of this book. Isaac and Bass take on jobs at the Apple Orchard. Sanna and her father need help as the orchard is failing and Sanna's father is aging.

Sanna is one of the most complicated and prickly characters that I have met so far, she does not want any help and is determined to scare Bass and Isaac away. Bass is assigned to Sanna and Sanna has decided that she will run him off by being herself, she does not like children and thinks that they do not like her. Bass however is hilarious and uncaring what Sanna thinks of him, oh he is a bit scared and intimidated by her, he thinks she is very tall. Here is my favorite Bass quote "Do you smell farts up there?" This is one of the first things that Bass said to Sanna! That is why Bass is one of my favorite all time characters!

The growing relationship between Sanna and Bass was developed very nicely and the slow romance between Isaac and Sanna was threaded quite nicely into the story. As I mentioned earlier Sanna is very complex and has abandonment issues regarding her mother and that makes her relationships very complicated. There are family secrets and drama, I kept wondering why Sanna's mother left and why not contact? I found myself very involved with the story and the characters.

Verdict:

I thought that this book was so well written, story line was very good and I truly enjoyed most of the characters. As always there are the annoying characters that do make the book all the more interesting. Sanna and Bass were my favorites, Bass and his fart comments were hysterical! This book will go on my favorite books of 2017 list.This review was originally posted on Cindy's Book Binge ( )
  fictionalblonde | Apr 10, 2019 |
First off, this book was set in a real town. Door County, Wisconsin sounds so adorable that I didn't realize it was real. Then I saw pics online and now it sounds like a great vacation spot.

Back to the book, Sanna lives on an apple orchard with her dad. They sell the apples and Sanna is working on craft cider that it is her dream to sell.
There's a touch of magical realism involved with how Sanna gets her flavor combinations.

Sanna and her dad live a solitary life. Her mom has been out of the picture since Sanna was a child and Sanna is not close with her brother Anders.
I honestly never understood why Sanna has been mad at Anders all these years.

Sanna's life changes when Isaac and his son Bass arrive. Isaac is running away from his own life and trying to protect Bass as he sees best.

A road trip evolves into Isaac and Bass staying at the orchard, getting room and board for working there.

Soon Sanna and Isaac are forming a connection neither one expected.

I absolutely loved the setting. I don't even like hard cider but I'd drink the seemingly magical ones Sanna makes :)
Isaac is a totally wonderful guy. Love him.
Sanna is very self sufficient and occasionally pig headed. But she's got a good heart.

I am definitely suggesting that if you've got this on your TBR list that it would be a perfect fall read. Or really, for anyone who wants a little bit of fall any time of year. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Charming. Satisfying ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Jul 3, 2018 |
A bit too predictable for me. Not to my taste, despite my cider loving ways. I picked it up because the author's newest was recommended, but wasn't available so I tried this one. Will still try the newest one when it is available for me.
  bookczuk | May 29, 2018 |
The art of making a good cider is of great simplicity.

—L. DE BOUTTEVILLE AND A. HAUCHECORNE, LE CIDRE, 1875
To my Sam, for being my real-life inspiration.

To John, thank you.
Sanna Lund’s thoughts of apple blossoms and new cider blends stuttered to an end with the grunt of her dad’s snore.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,140,595 books! | Top bar: Always visible