Yvain: The Knight of the Lion

by M. T. Anderson

Other authors: Andrea Offermann (Illustrator)

"Eager for glory and heedless of others, Sir Yvain sets out from King Arthur's court and defeats a local lord in battle, unknowingly intertwining his future with the lives of two compelling women: Lady Laudine, the beautiful widow of the fallen lord, and her sly maid Lunette" -- provided by publisher.… (more)

Yvain is an idiot. He's an idiot in the original, he's an idiot in this very close retelling. I appreciate, however, the careful twists of irony that Anderson and Offermann draw out in this rendition. The illustrations are splendid beyond measure, the thoughtfulness of the text is wonderful, the ambiguity of the characters tells whole volumes of story offstage, and Yvain is an idiot.

I'd say that I feel bad for Lunette, as well, but honestly, she's got a mean streak, and seems to be doing quite well thankyouverymuch. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
While it initially reads like a standard Arthurian tale (knights in shining armor, deeds of bravery), it reveals itself as a subversive and tragic tale. Yvain marries the widowed Lady Laudine, in dire need of a champion after he kills her husband, and asks her permission to travel with his friend proving themselves in tournaments. She gives her permission, with the caveat that he must return after a year. Of course, he forgets, and is subsequently denounced in front of King Arthur by a messenger from Lady Laudine.

Driven mad, Yvain wanders in the wilderness until he comes upon a lion locked in battle with some kind of wyvern. He slays it and earns the lion's loyalty. He travels around, slaying monsters and dueling, believing he will win his lady's heart back. As he appears before her, Lady Laudine is tricked into marrying him again, and lashes out that she must keep her word and enter into a loveless marriage.

Truly, one of the best graphic novels I've read in a long time.

The art is gorgeous and wonderfully intuitive in the reading, and while M.T. Anderson's translation of the story of Yvain is pretty standard, it's clear that he loves the story and the characters. ( )
  Elna_McIntosh | Sep 29, 2021 |
A sad poetic story, in word and image. ( )
  bobbybslax | May 16, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed the story, and the storytelling of this book. I didn't find the artwork compelling, and sometimes found it hard to understand what was being conveyed. The concept behind the book (graphic novel telling of an ancient story) is fantastic, and I hope to see more!
  sonyagreen | Sep 6, 2019 |
An odd tale of an asshole in love and the woman he inflicts that love on. The adaptation is fine, but the source material is just way too messed up for me to deal with. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
I strongly recommend this fast-paced text to mature middle school and high school readers. It has a worthy place in a school library and could be easily included in any unit that covers medieval Europe, myth, heroes, or Arthurian legends

M. T. Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Offermann, AndreaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

M. T. Anderson's book Yvain was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,856,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible